Re: Horos, or Limit

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2006

      > Er.....

      > the concept seems to be found. However, these are mostly before
      > Middle Platonism, and deal either with Platonism, or neo-
      > Platonism.<<<
      >
      > ... obviously I didn't mean to say the neo-Platonist sources were
      > before any middle-Platonism. I am sure you all knew what I meant
      > there.
      >
      > PMCV

      Thank you, Karl. I am familiar with how the term was used, in a not
      terribly precise way, by Platonists in their discussions of the
      Unlimited and the Limited. I am interested in how the framers of the
      Sophia mythologies seemed to use the term to indicate the establishment
      of metaphysical boundaries, the function of which is to prevent
      particularity from merging back into undifferentiated unity. It is the
      vision of the Cross as Limit which saves Sophia from losing herself in
      her impossible attempt to comprehend the primal Depth. Here the Limit
      functions not only as a boundary of particularity but also as a
      recognition of the ultimate limit of knowledge, that being Only
      Begotten Mind. Thank you for the references.
      Yours, Steve W.