Re: Gnostics in Lebanon?

  • thalprin
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
      Yes, thanks very much, I'd like that if it's no bother.

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, F8snafs@... wrote:

      > I'm sorry, Terrie, but I think it pretty unlikely any such
      structure
      > could still exist and slip my notice. Perhaps some ruins have been
      > unearthed recently that I'm unaware of. I'll write my father and
      see
      > what he can find if you'd like. I'd be more than willing to do so.
      >
      > I'm not very knowledgable in regards to "the religious/spiritual
      > relations passed between Tyre, Carthage, and the Etruscans." I
      > saw a PBS program on the Phoenicians that stressed how little
      > we know about this issue outside of Jewish, Greek and Roman
      > histories which, the program suggested, were too biased to be
      > considered all that reliable.

      Yup, it's a problem, ie political/cultural propaganda. Should hear
      what folks had to say about the Etruscans.

      > Though they may have been right
      > about one thing: that at some period the ancient Phoenicians
      > practiced a form of ritual child sacrifice.

      I think I saw that show too. Wikipedia has a nice little rap
      mentioning the continuing controversy as to whether or not Carthage
      was involved with ritual sacrafice:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carthage

      > Anyway, Christianity and Gnosticism was about two thousand
      > years later in coming to the Levant.

      Yah that's what I hear too.

      Best wishes,

      Terrie

      > Your servant,
      >
      > Widad

      Best wishes,

      Terrie

      > In a message dated 4/1/2006 12:58:13 PM Central Standard Time,
      > thalprin@... writes:
      >
      > What espeially interests me is the religious/spiritual relations
      > passed between Tyre, Carthage, and the Etruscans.
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyre
      >
      > This article/rap on Wikipedia mentions the church (in Trye) that
      > interests me - they say it was built shortly after Saint
      Stephan's
      > death. I'd assume it'd been named/dedicated to Saint Stephan?
      Are
      > you saying it doesn't actually exist?
      >
      > Thanks for the info. Please keep us informed. This is a very
      > interesting and important topic I think.
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Terrie
      >
      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, F8snafs@ wrote:
      > >

      > > Carthage was founded by Phoenician colonists from Tyre nearly
      > three
      > > thousand years ago. There are currently no significant ties
      > between
      > > the two that I am aware of, political or metaphysical.
      > >
      > > Also, Terrie, I can assure you there is no Saint Stephan's
      church
      > in
      > > Tyre. When UNESCO arrived there in 1998 to assist in the city's
      > > revitalization efforts and invited several archaeologists to
      > assess and
      > > map key historical sites they found many structures which had
      been
      > > built by European Crusaders, but no major church structures
      were
      > > identified.
      > >
      > > There is a Church of Saint Stephans which is about 25 or 30
      miles
      > > north of Beirut in Al Batrun. Perhaps that is the church you
      were
      > > thinking of.
      > >
      > > Your servant,
      > >
      > > Widad
      > >
      > > In a message dated 3/31/2006 2:45:29 PM Central Standard Time,
      > > thalprin@ writes:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I'm also very interested in hearing more about Gnostics in
      Tyre
      > (and
      > > Carthage too? or any relations, with Carthage as well.) Also,
      in
      > Tyre
      > > (word means rock doesn't it?) I'm interested in facts/data
      > relative
      > > that you might know about Saint Stephan's church (I think it
      > is.)
      > >
      > > Best wishes,
      > >
      > > Terrie

    • thalprin
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, F8snafs@ wrote:
        > >

        > > I'm sorry, Terrie, but I think it pretty unlikely any such
        > structure
        > > could still exist and slip my notice. Perhaps some ruins have
        been
        > > unearthed recently that I'm unaware of. I'll write my father and
        > see
        > > what he can find if you'd like. I'd be more than willing to do
        so.

        > > I'm not very knowledgable in regards to "the religious/spiritual
        > > relations passed between Tyre, Carthage, and the Etruscans." I
        > > saw a PBS program on the Phoenicians that stressed how little
        > > we know about this issue outside of Jewish, Greek and Roman
        > > histories which, the program suggested, were too biased to be
        > > considered all that reliable.
        > > Though they may have been right
        > > about one thing: that at some period the ancient Phoenicians
        > > practiced a form of ritual child sacrifice.

        hehe, when city-state elders were asked to comment upon their brutal
        behavior towards their children they of course replied: "The Pharoh
        made us do it."