Re: Hermeneutics recap (and eisegesis vs exegesis)

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23 12:49 PM
      Hey JC, you state....

      >>>Gnosis (definition of): See Enlightenment (buddhism)<<<

      This group is a bit more technical in the way it uses words, due in
      part to the slightly more academic treatment of this subject.
      The "Gnosis = Enlightenment" equation doesn't work here, since it
      glosses over too many subjects that are important for our focus.

      >>>Gnosis IS salvation.<<<

      My point as well. However, I do need to point out that the
      word "gnosis" has different meanings in different contexts. It would
      be wrong to say that the word gnosis always (or even usually) has the
      soteriological function that you and I agree the concept holds for
      this categorical destinction of historical "Gnosticism". As I stated,
      the etymological definition of the word is not the same as the
      specialized definition used by many later Platonists.

      >>>You are trying too hard to analyse it and not letting it lead you
      itself.<<<

      If you are looking for conversation about modern Gnostic groups
      rather than traditional ones, you may be more interested in another
      group JC. Let me give you a URL for one that may deal more with the
      subject in a way that is less historical but more about modern
      practice. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GnosticThought/

      Our focus is only on understanding historical Gnosticism and what
      that IN TURN could imply for modern understanding. The modern method
      is certainly important as well... just not our focus here.

      >>>Read the Trimorphic Protennoia.<<<

      I have read every extant source, JC, even ones that are not widely
      available to the public. Please post your comments with specific
      passages so we can understand exactly what you mean to be driving at.
      We are very open to various views, so long as they are presented in a
      spirit of conversation and exploration and presented with textual
      demonstration. One liners, on the other hand, will likely only get
      reprimands even from those of us who may agree with you.