RE: [Gnosticism2] Hermeneutics recap (and eisegesis vs exegesis)

  • Jeshu Christ
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2006
      >I have, in a number of groups, posted a basic definition of the
      >term "Gnosis".
      Gnosis (definition of): See Enlightenment (buddhism)

      >"Gnosis" is sotereological (idea or
      >study that deals with salvation in a religion) in its function. We
      >can look at the texts and deal with a kind of knowledge that
      >directly includes salvation (which is not the same as a knowledge
      >that simply LEADS TO salvation).
      Gnosis IS salvation.

      >I want to point out first that the passage here does not say that
      >whoever can find their OWN meaning in the text is saved from death,
      >but whoever finds the INTENDED meaning in the text.
      You are trying too hard to analyse it and not letting it lead you itself.

      A monk thought he was ready to leave a buddhist monastry, and it was the
      tradition that the abbot give a gift before he left, so the abbot took a hot
      coal from the fire and placed it in the monks hands. The monk immediately
      dropped it and cursed, and was sent back to continue learning for having
      cursed. This went on for several months, until at last, when the abbot
      placed the hot coal on the monks hand, the monk said thank-you, the abbot
      smiled, and the monk was ready to leave.

      >We can see from the Gnostic texts that exegesis, in the strictest
      >meaning, was considered important. Other texts, like the Tripartite
      >Tractate, go to great lengths to talk about how words and intents
      >should be understood separately.
      Read the Trimorphic Protennoia.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23, 2006
        Hey JC, you state....

        >>>Gnosis (definition of): See Enlightenment (buddhism)<<<

        This group is a bit more technical in the way it uses words, due in
        part to the slightly more academic treatment of this subject.
        The "Gnosis = Enlightenment" equation doesn't work here, since it
        glosses over too many subjects that are important for our focus.

        >>>Gnosis IS salvation.<<<

        My point as well. However, I do need to point out that the
        word "gnosis" has different meanings in different contexts. It would
        be wrong to say that the word gnosis always (or even usually) has the
        soteriological function that you and I agree the concept holds for
        this categorical destinction of historical "Gnosticism". As I stated,
        the etymological definition of the word is not the same as the
        specialized definition used by many later Platonists.

        >>>You are trying too hard to analyse it and not letting it lead you
        itself.<<<

        If you are looking for conversation about modern Gnostic groups
        rather than traditional ones, you may be more interested in another
        group JC. Let me give you a URL for one that may deal more with the
        subject in a way that is less historical but more about modern
        practice. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GnosticThought/

        Our focus is only on understanding historical Gnosticism and what
        that IN TURN could imply for modern understanding. The modern method
        is certainly important as well... just not our focus here.

        >>>Read the Trimorphic Protennoia.<<<

        I have read every extant source, JC, even ones that are not widely
        available to the public. Please post your comments with specific
        passages so we can understand exactly what you mean to be driving at.
        We are very open to various views, so long as they are presented in a
        spirit of conversation and exploration and presented with textual
        demonstration. One liners, on the other hand, will likely only get
        reprimands even from those of us who may agree with you.