Re: Critical Reading

  • marinas_snake
    Message 1 of 137 , Mar 4, 2006
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Having said all that, I see a lot of bold text emphasized
      above.
      > Before
      > > I get my next installment ready, is there anyone who would like
      > > hazard an educated guess as to what makes Bentley Layton's
      > > translation stand apart … and why? Here it is again:
      > >
      > > "Three women always used to walk with the lord—Mary his mother,
      his
      > > sister, and the Magdalene, who is called his companion.
      For "Mary"
      > is
      > > the name of his sister and his mother, and it is the name of his
      > > partner."
      > > —Bentley Layton, The Gnostic Scriptures (pg. 335)
      > >
      > > Gerry
      > >

      > Gerry, "partner" seems to denote an association involving a common
      > interest or activity perhaps more so than "companion." At the
      same,
      > it's not so specific as to focus primarily on a sexual
      relationship,
      > nor does it deny one. I mean, if there were a historical Jesus,
      > could we be sure he was heterosexual?
      >
      > "Partner" opens the door to a relationship that could be more on
      > equal footing, as jana proposes, or one that at least could be
      > complementary in a special way, more than one involving a maiden
      who
      > just schleps along dusty roads accompanying a master. I would
      > envision them more like spiritual dancing partners, kicking up
      enough
      > dust to make even Peter jealous. ;-)
      >
      > Cari

      etymology of the word "partner"
      Middle English partener, alteration (influenced by part, part), of
      parcener, parcener; see parcener.]

      Main Entry: par·ce·ner
      Pronunciation: 'pärs-&n-&r
      Function: noun
      Etymology: Anglo-French, from Old French parçonier, from parçon
      : COPARCENER

      Main Entry: co·par·ce·ner
      Pronunciation: "kO-'pärs-&n-&r
      Function: noun
      : a joint heir

      One of two or more persons sharing an inheritance; a joint heir.

      Sorry, I will have to finish this later. But maybe "partner" is
      referring to being an "heir".

      Marina
      Message 137 of 137 , Apr 8, 2006

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@...> wrote:

        > [. . .]
        >
        > Gerry and Lady C.,thanks for all of the info and links.…

        Thank you, Jana, for noticing them.

        > Gerry, after looking at the National Geographic link, I was

        > reminded of some suggestions I gave you on faded writing. I'm feeling
        > really good about watery sepia ink and sandpaper...and sand
        > horizontally and vertically...with the gray sandpaper...

        And ya know, that was the one suggestion you wrote me that I was the most hesitant to attempt.  There's something about the dual-layered papyrus and its almost glossy sheen that made me wonder if such coarse measures would destroy the whole thing, but the more I've thought about it (along with your renewed convictions), the more I believe it would indeed yield a desirable finish.  I imagine the weathered results would be akin to repeatedly wadding up a sheet of paper to the point that it becomes more like a thin piece of cloth rather than a crisp piece of paper.  Only this way, you avoid the wrinkles!