Re: Hi,

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3 5:39 PM
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:

      > Hello thalprin
      >
      > On 03/02/06, you wrote:
      >

      > > In a biblical or historical context I'd suppose a great deal of
      > > diff. between for example: bitter and sea - for example, ifn we
      went
      > > looking to survey for factual roots would we be looking to see ifn
      > > any sea fairing people were being governed (or namesaked
      possibly?)
      > > by a woman/woman's family-line at or around those times a/o would
      we
      > > be surveying bitter lands (bitter-sea?) - really, it's quite
      > > intersting. Perhaps it is meant to mean something.
      > >
      > > It'd be so exciting if you all could solve this riddle!
      > >
      > > Best wishes,
      > >
      > > Terrie
      >
      > Not specifically gnostically, but the sea has often been considered
      > the source of all life.
      >
      > Regards
      > --
      > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

      Mary Magdalene has had quite a colorful popular history. Details can
      be found in the following recent New Yorker article by Joan
      Acocella. And, yes, Mary Magdalene of the Gnostics is finally
      addressed to some extent about halfway through the article.

      http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060213fa_fact2

      Also, Terrie and Mike, as mentioned in the article, we're reminded of
      a "sea" reference ~

      "Finally, unlike many other females in the Gospels—Mary the mother of
      James, Mary the wife of Cleophas, etc.—Mary Magdalene, when she is
      named, is identified not by a relationship with a man but by her
      city, Magdala, a prosperous fishing village on the Sea of Galilee.
      Thus the Magdalene was probably a woman who lived on her own, a rare
      and suspect thing in Jewish society of the period."

      Cari
    • thalprin
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3 9:34 PM
        Hi,

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello thalprin
        > >
        > > On 03/02/06, you wrote:
        > >

        > > > In a biblical or historical context I'd suppose a great deal of
        > > > diff. between for example: bitter and sea - for example, ifn
        we
        > went
        > > > looking to survey for factual roots would we be looking to see
        ifn
        > > > any sea fairing people were being governed (or namesaked
        > possibly?)
        > > > by a woman/woman's family-line at or around those times a/o
        would
        > we
        > > > be surveying bitter lands (bitter-sea?) - really, it's quite
        > > > intersting. Perhaps it is meant to mean something.
        > > >
        > > > It'd be so exciting if you all could solve this riddle!
        > > >
        > > > Best wishes,
        > > >
        > > > Terrie
        > >
        > > Not specifically gnostically, but the sea has often been
        considered
        > > the source of all life.

        Yup, no doubt about it.

        > > Regards
        > > --
        > > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
        > >

        > Mary Magdalene has had quite a colorful popular history. Details
        can
        > be found in the following recent New Yorker article by Joan
        > Acocella. And, yes, Mary Magdalene of the Gnostics is finally
        > addressed to some extent about halfway through the article.
        >
        > http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060213fa_fact2

        Cari, this is a fascinating read, thanks.

        > Also, Terrie and Mike, as mentioned in the article, we're reminded
        of
        > a "sea" reference ~
        >
        > "Finally, unlike many other females in the Gospels—Mary the mother
        of
        > James, Mary the wife of Cleophas, etc.—Mary Magdalene, when she is
        > named, is identified not by a relationship with a man but by her
        > city, Magdala, a prosperous fishing village on the Sea of Galilee.
        > Thus the Magdalene was probably a woman who lived on her own, a
        rare
        > and suspect thing in Jewish society of the period."

        Yeah, and those matters/perspectives could easily have been an
        issue - in a sense a culture shock/clash, perhaps. For example,
        they say folks (Romans, Greek, Gaul, I think that's right,) were
        disturbed and astronished upon seeing Etruscan women dinning in
        mixed company, +they were owning propetry, they had individual names
        and they were out and about as free women and or an affectionate
        woman so to speak. Evidently that was enough, and at the time it
        gave alot of folks some very juicey ideas about how these women/men
        lived.

        > Cari

        Best wishes,

        Terrie
      • Angel Ruling Scorpion
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3 10:09 PM
          Hi,

          I am curious what is the gnostics attitude towards Satan/Devil. Are there
          gnostic scriptures that also deal with this subject?

          Tarot is hocus pocus, Crystal Balls are for ladies with neon signs to
          squeeze money out of people who need therapy, Pentacles are for Harry
          Potter wannabes who play RPG, there is no sex in the champagne room, and
          any possibilities of me knowing magick is just an imagination.
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 4 7:50 AM
            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Angel Ruling Scorpion <sosol@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I am curious what is the gnostics attitude towards Satan/Devil.
            Are there
            > gnostic scriptures that also deal with this subject?
            >

            > Tarot is hocus pocus, Crystal Balls are for ladies with neon signs
            > squeeze money out of people who need therapy, Pentacles are for
            Harry
            > Potter wannabes who play RPG, there is no sex in the champagne
            room, and
            > any possibilities of me knowing magick is just an imagination.

            Hello, josiellvx. I was able to dig up a past post from a discussion
            occurring almost two years ago, which might help. Actually,
            satan/devil wasn't a major preoccupation for the Gnostics, and the
            few occurrences in mythology could be viewed as metaphorical.

            As PMCV wrote in a post during this past discussion:

            "Why does there need to be "THE DEVIL" at all? Why does man need any
            greater adversary than his or her own ignorance?"

            Feel free to bring any more questions or comments to the group. And
            perhaps other members have some wisdom to share.

            Cari
          • Frederick Polgardy
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 6 6:05 AM
              By the same logic, why does there need to be "THE DEMIURGE" at all?
              :-) As a Christian with strongly esoteric and gnostic leanings, I've
              probably come to view Satan just about exactly as gnostics might say
              they view the Demiurge -- as a very real, yet supra-personal, entity.
              As a way of saying there's more to ignorance than just what's going
              on inside my own head -- a field of ignorace, if you will, that my own
              individual ignorance participates in.

              Just a thought...

              > As PMCV wrote in a post during this past discussion:
              >
              > "Why does there need to be "THE DEVIL" at all? Why does man need any
              > greater adversary than his or her own ignorance?"
            • phillipetaylor
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 6 10:02 AM
                wrote:

                "I am curious what is the gnostics attitude towards Satan/Devil. Are
                there gnostic scriptures that also deal with this subject?"

                Well, I can tell you what a Sophian Gnostic perspective is on this
                subject. There is the perspective of a Cosmic Ignorance, which is
                proposed in several texts that Sophian Gnostic use, such as the Zohar,
                the Origin of the World and all the texts of the Bible. I don't think
                the Bible ISN'T a Gnostic text, I think they key to this idea is that
                Gnostic tend to INTERPRET the bible quite differently than
                Funamdentalists do. But regardless, Cosmic Ignorance plays itself out
                as both forces that oppose the divine will and forces that don't always
                oppose it, but that also don't always help it along. The forces that
                oppose the Divine will are personified by Satan, or the Devil, and the
                forces that don't oppose but don't support the Divine plan are
                called "Archons" and the Demiurge. But both proceed from a Cosmic
                Ignorance, according to Sophian Gnostic Tradition.

                I'm not really sure what this other part you wrote is about, and am
                unsure how to respond, it seems a bit tangential to your question...:

                "Tarot is hocus pocus, Crystal Balls are for ladies with neon signs to
                squeeze money out of people who need therapy, Pentacles are for Harry
                Potter wannabes who play RPG, there is no sex in the champagne room,
                and any possibilities of me knowing magick is just an imagination."

                Phillip
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 6 1:40 PM
                  Hey Frederick

                  >>>By the same logic, why does there need to be "THE DEMIURGE" at all?
                  :-) As a Christian with strongly esoteric and gnostic leanings, I've
                  probably come to view Satan just about exactly as gnostics might say
                  they view the Demiurge -- as a very real, yet supra-personal, entity.
                  As a way of saying there's more to ignorance than just what's going
                  on inside my own head -- a field of ignorace, if you will, that my own
                  individual ignorance participates in.<<<

                  Well, whether the historical Gnostics viewed the Demiurge as "real
                  but supra-personal" is possible, but open to debate. For instance, at
                  least some texts do seem to present the Demiurge as allegorical
                  rather than literal. If taken literally (though I doubt they should
                  be) other texts present the Demiurge in a quite personal way. I would
                  question whether the historical Gnostics were generally simply
                  replacing Satan with the Demiurge, but still giving the same
                  essential picture.

                  So, while the Demiurge as a being, or "entity", is open to
                  discussion, I do think that this sort of "field of ignorance" idea
                  you present has some similarity with several Gnostic concepts.

                  The answer as to why there needs to be a Demiurge would be that the
                  mythological construct of Gnosticism depends on presenting the flaw
                  in common hylic religious thinking as something to overcome. Since
                  the creator god that most people worship cannot be philosophically
                  reconciled with the deeper apophatic notion of spirit, the obvious
                  literary device would be to set that creator up in contrast to the
                  spiritual goal for the sake of explaining the philosophical/spiritual
                  point of the "Mystery".

                  PMCV
                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 17 9:10 AM

                    > Hey Frederick

                    > :-) As a Christian with strongly esoteric and gnostic leanings,
                    I've
                    > probably come to view Satan just about exactly as gnostics might say
                    > they view the Demiurge -- as a very real, yet supra-personal,
                    entity.
                    > As a way of saying there's more to ignorance than just what's
                    going
                    > on inside my own head -- a field of ignorace, if you will, that my
                    own
                    > individual ignorance participates in.<<<
                    >
                    > Well, whether the historical Gnostics viewed the Demiurge as "real
                    > but supra-personal" is possible, but open to debate. For instance,
                    at
                    > least some texts do seem to present the Demiurge as allegorical
                    > rather than literal. If taken literally (though I doubt they should
                    > be) other texts present the Demiurge in a quite personal way. I
                    would
                    > question whether the historical Gnostics were generally simply
                    > replacing Satan with the Demiurge, but still giving the same
                    > essential picture.
                    >
                    > So, while the Demiurge as a being, or "entity", is open to
                    > discussion, I do think that this sort of "field of ignorance" idea
                    > you present has some similarity with several Gnostic concepts.
                    >
                    > The answer as to why there needs to be a Demiurge would be that the
                    > mythological construct of Gnosticism depends on presenting the flaw
                    > in common hylic religious thinking as something to overcome. Since
                    > the creator god that most people worship cannot be philosophically
                    > reconciled with the deeper apophatic notion of spirit, the obvious
                    > literary device would be to set that creator up in contrast to the
                    > spiritual goal for the sake of explaining the
                    philosophical/spiritual
                    > point of the "Mystery".
                    >
                    > PMCV

                    Hi Karl. Yes I, too, tend to think in terms of a "field of
                    ignorance" when I try to explain my personal take on the Demiurge
                    idea. I try, now, to avoid both the solipsistic tendancy to reduce it
                    all to just an aspect of my personal consciousness as well as the
                    tendancy to literalize it as a nasty Satanic being out to get us.
                    Obviously (at least to me), the material world is a flawed image of
                    the divine world as are certain aspects of my own mind. Both strike
                    me as being a distorted reflection.
                    Yours, Steve W.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 20 6:05 AM
                      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <eugnostos2000@...> wrote:

                      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hey Frederick

                      > all?
                      > > :-) As a Christian with strongly esoteric and gnostic leanings,
                      > I've
                      > > probably come to view Satan just about exactly as gnostics might
                      say
                      > > they view the Demiurge -- as a very real, yet supra-personal,
                      > entity.
                      > > As a way of saying there's more to ignorance than just what's
                      > going
                      > > on inside my own head -- a field of ignorace, if you will, that
                      my
                      > own
                      > > individual ignorance participates in.<<<
                      > >
                      > > Well, whether the historical Gnostics viewed the Demiurge
                      as "real
                      > > but supra-personal" is possible, but open to debate. For
                      instance,
                      > at
                      > > least some texts do seem to present the Demiurge as allegorical
                      > > rather than literal. If taken literally (though I doubt they
                      should
                      > > be) other texts present the Demiurge in a quite personal way. I
                      > would
                      > > question whether the historical Gnostics were generally simply
                      > > replacing Satan with the Demiurge, but still giving the same
                      > > essential picture.
                      > >
                      > > So, while the Demiurge as a being, or "entity", is open to
                      > > discussion, I do think that this sort of "field of ignorance"
                      idea
                      > > you present has some similarity with several Gnostic concepts.
                      > >
                      > > The answer as to why there needs to be a Demiurge would be that
                      the
                      > > mythological construct of Gnosticism depends on presenting the
                      flaw
                      > > in common hylic religious thinking as something to overcome.
                      Since
                      > > the creator god that most people worship cannot be
                      philosophically
                      > > reconciled with the deeper apophatic notion of spirit, the
                      obvious
                      > > literary device would be to set that creator up in contrast to
                      the
                      > > spiritual goal for the sake of explaining the
                      > philosophical/spiritual
                      > > point of the "Mystery".
                      > >
                      > > PMCV
                      > >
                      > Hi Karl. Yes I, too, tend to think in terms of a "field of
                      > ignorance" when I try to explain my personal take on the Demiurge
                      > idea. I try, now, to avoid both the solipsistic tendancy to reduce
                      it
                      > all to just an aspect of my personal consciousness as well as the
                      > tendancy to literalize it as a nasty Satanic being out to get us.
                      > Obviously (at least to me), the material world is a flawed image of
                      > the divine world as are certain aspects of my own mind. Both strike
                      > me as being a distorted reflection.
                      > Yours, Steve W.

                      Well put, Steve.

                      Cari
                    • thalprin
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 13, 2006
                        Sorry I'm a bit busy at the moment. I am enjoying the discussion
                        though and I will try and reply soon.

                        Best wishes,

                        Terrie
                      • esapress@ymail.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 3, 2009
                          Hi,

                          It's been awhile since I said hello and I thought I'd like to today.

                          I am, and have been, very busy these days and/but gnosticism remains and abiding interest for me.

                          Best wishes,

                          Terrie
                          http://www.esapress.com/
                        • esapress@ymail.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 3, 2009
                            Just wanted to add that I enjoy the historical and academic efforts/research of/in this group; truth is history is very important, especially so in religious fields, and/but getting our facts as accurate as is actually possible is, yup, no small task.

                            Best wishes,

                            Terrie
                            http://www.esapress.com/
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 7, 2009
                              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "esapress@..." <esapress@...> wrote:

                              > Just wanted to add that I enjoy the historical and academic efforts/research of/in this group; truth is history is very important, especially so in religious fields, and/but getting our facts as accurate as is actually possible is, yup, no small task.
                              >

                              > Best wishes,
                              >
                              > Terrie
                              > http://www.esapress.com/

                              Hello, Terrie. Thanks for stopping by and offering your encouraging comments. It seems that a lot of us are busy, too.

                              Getting facts straight is certainly no small task. It's an ongoing process. We appreciate members bringing questions and comments to the board, so we can research together and offer each other feedback.

                              Cari
                            • esapress@ymail.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 14, 2009
                                Hi Cari, thanks for the kindly note. Sure is an ongoing process isn't it, and there's so very much to research. Hopefully some of our schedules will clear up a bit here pretty soon,

                                Always a pleasure,

                                Terrie