Re: Critical Reading

  • janahooks
    Message 1 of 137 , Mar 2, 2006
      Hey, Lady C.,

      > ... which brings me to another point about how literally or how
      > metaphorically we should view all this? Lots of questions crop up
      when
      > thinking literally.

      Actually, I have a lot of questions either way. ;) Was there a post
      in here somewhere about what the Mary's represent, or did I imagine
      that? I know I was thinking about what "...walked with the Lord"
      would mean if it were all metaphor. Oh, heck, I can't put a thought
      together right now. I just had 50 1st graders under their tables
      pretending to be cavemen while reproducing the Caves at Lascaux.
      Ooga booga.

      jana
      Message 137 of 137 , Apr 8 9:04 AM

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@...> wrote:

        > [. . .]
        >
        > Gerry and Lady C.,thanks for all of the info and links.…

        Thank you, Jana, for noticing them.

        > Gerry, after looking at the National Geographic link, I was

        > reminded of some suggestions I gave you on faded writing. I'm feeling
        > really good about watery sepia ink and sandpaper...and sand
        > horizontally and vertically...with the gray sandpaper...

        And ya know, that was the one suggestion you wrote me that I was the most hesitant to attempt.  There's something about the dual-layered papyrus and its almost glossy sheen that made me wonder if such coarse measures would destroy the whole thing, but the more I've thought about it (along with your renewed convictions), the more I believe it would indeed yield a desirable finish.  I imagine the weathered results would be akin to repeatedly wadding up a sheet of paper to the point that it becomes more like a thin piece of cloth rather than a crisp piece of paper.  Only this way, you avoid the wrinkles!