Context is Everything

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006

      Say Jana, I'm starting to think that rather than looking either to an insect or amphibian as the most likely candidate for this summer season's "poster pest" around here, the position may have to go to a mammal this year.  I've spotted an inordinate number of foxes in recent weeks, even in areas where they normally haven't been prevalent at all.  Of course, we're approaching the end of their mating season, so maybe things will calm down soon and they'll go back to their habit of discreetly chasing vermin instead.  Have they been darting across roads in your section of the Carolina coast?

      While I was driving to work the other night, and trying my best once again to avoid getting any of those sharp little teeth embedded in my tires, I recalled what my older cousin used to say to us years ago when his new driver's license was still burning a hole in his pocket:  "Let's go cruisin' for foxes!"  Of course, it wasn't our native Urocyon cinereoargenteus that he had in mind, and maybe it wasn't actually that license that was getting him so fired up in his britches, but that boy surely did want to do a lot of driving up and down the beach road!

      Now that roughly three decades have passed since my cousin's disco fever abated, I'm glad that "fox" can once again take on its accustomed meaning.  At the same time though, I'm still particularly fond of its metaphorical usage—centuries ago—from the pens of the heresiologists.  It just strikes me as humorous to imagine those pesky, heretical foxes getting into the true vine and trampling the grapes underfoot.  And wouldn't that imagery make for another nice project:  a gray fox peering from a thicket … with purple paws … and a sly grin!

      Gerry

    • janahooks
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
        > Now that roughly three decades have passed since my cousin's disco
        > fever abated, I'm glad that "fox" can once again take on its
        > accustomed meaning. At the same time though, I'm still particularly
        > fond of its metaphorical usage—centuries ago—from the pens of
        > the heresiologists. It just strikes me as humorous to imagine those
        > pesky, heretical foxes getting into the true vine and trampling the
        > grapes underfoot. And wouldn't that imagery make for another nice
        > project: a gray fox peering from a thicket … with purple paws …
        > and a sly grin!

        Oh, that's juicy! No fox problem yet, but we still have the wild pig
        problem on the highway that my school is on--not boars, just large,
        free-range pigs. Does that bring any scriptural images to mind (I
        have to confess, I could see a connection with someone's *playah*
        cousin ;) I did have a snake drop from a tree in front of my car on
        the way to work. Is the end of the world starting in the Southeast?

        jana
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
          Hello janahooks

          On 03/02/06, you wrote:

          >> Now that roughly three decades have passed since my cousin's disco
          >> fever abated, I'm glad that "fox" can once again take on its
          >> accustomed meaning. At the same time though, I'm still particularly
          >> fond of its metaphorical usage centuries ago from the pens of the
          >> heresiologists. It just strikes me as humorous to imagine those
          >> pesky, heretical foxes getting into the true vine and trampling the
          >> grapes underfoot. And wouldn't that imagery make for another nice
          >> project: a gray fox peering from a thicket
          >> with purple paws
          >> and a sly grin!
          >

          > Oh, that's juicy! No fox problem yet, but we still have the wild pig
          > problem on the highway that my school is on--not boars, just large,
          > free-range pigs. Does that bring any scriptural images to mind (I
          > have to confess, I could see a connection with someone's *playah*
          > cousin ;) I did have a snake drop from a tree in front of my car on
          > the way to work. Is the end of the world starting in the Southeast?
          >
          > jana

          Speaking of Montey Python, this reminds me of the one with the
          Orthodox Rabbi hearding his pigs.

          Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s