Re: Critical Reading

    Message 1 of 137 , Feb 22, 2006

      > I think that critical thinking IS part of the traditional concept
      > of "Gnosis". That, however, may be a different subject. Actually, a
      > person from another group who lurks here sometimes asked if we could
      > bring up this part of the subject of "Gnosis", especially concerning
      > hermeneutics. Unfortunately I am heading off on my monthly sojourn
      > to the Reservation, but I think perhaps the subject could tie in
      > nicely with this conversation.

      If you're not too exhausted when you return from your work trip, perhaps you could elaborate.

      > I did have one question for you though, Gerry. Does Dr Ehrman deal
      > mostly with the religious part of the history in this book? Or, does
      > he deal with basic fact checking like the number of panes of glass
      > in the Louvre pyramid?
      >
      > PMCV

      I think that the professor's approach is admirable in that he doesn't stray far at all from his principal area of research—the development of Early Christianity.  Even as far as his fact checking is concerned within that narrow scope, it isn't as if he is scrutinizing an entire laundry list of misinformation.  Instead, possibly since Brown had centered his plot around some of the erroneous and sweeping generalizations of the "Holy Blood Holy Grail" variety, Ehrman counters with synthesized conclusions of his own, demonstrating with examples how some of the more fantastical assertions in the novel might even be better viewed as virtually the opposite of what the facts actually present.

      Message 137 of 137 , Apr 8 9:04 AM

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@...> wrote:

        > [. . .]
        >
        > Gerry and Lady C.,thanks for all of the info and links.Â…

        Thank you, Jana, for noticing them.

        > Gerry, after looking at the National Geographic link, I was

        > reminded of some suggestions I gave you on faded writing. I'm feeling
        > really good about watery sepia ink and sandpaper...and sand
        > horizontally and vertically...with the gray sandpaper...

        And ya know, that was the one suggestion you wrote me that I was the most hesitant to attempt.  There's something about the dual-layered papyrus and its almost glossy sheen that made me wonder if such coarse measures would destroy the whole thing, but the more I've thought about it (along with your renewed convictions), the more I believe it would indeed yield a desirable finish.  I imagine the weathered results would be akin to repeatedly wadding up a sheet of paper to the point that it becomes more like a thin piece of cloth rather than a crisp piece of paper.  Only this way, you avoid the wrinkles!