Re: an invitation

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
      Hey Gus

      Thanks for the invite, but you didn't specify any other forum that
      dealt with the subject so that we could go there to talk about it.
      Let me suggest a specific group that does deal with the subject you
      are interested in, for anyone else who may wish to learn about the
      subject ....

      Or, if you had another forum in mind, Gus, feel free to post it.

      In exchange for your invite to talk about eastern mysticism with
      you, let me offer you an invite to learn about the specific movement
      known as "Gnosticism" with us.... here in this forum.

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, abdul wahab <gus_wahaby@...>
      wrote:

      > Gnostic teaching has been widely discussed in the West much for
      merely satisfying intellectual hunger. Meanwhile in the East it has
      been practiced for practical necessity of spiritual achievement
      without being tried to make necessary adjustment in order to be
      accepted as it is really (should) be, to make it more universally
      felt.
      > Mythology is usual in the East, but in the West it is viewed as
      the other way to express reality, a metaphor. I invite this forum
      especially those of with deep knowledge of Eastern wisdom to share
      ideas.
      > I am personally a practitioner of Eastern wisdom especially
      Hindis and Sufis. But I feel strange when I read a book written by
      intellectual with western cultural background, it must be full of
      analysis and excellent; but not suggest how to make it more relevant
      in the West. Of course, not all western-style of writers do so.
      There are few of them performing not merely their intellectual
      duties, but acting as (or becoming) the real wise.
      > Once more, I invite this forum to find any ideas -- not only to
      pave the way, but also -- to make primordial teaching of eastern
      wisdom practiced universally in the society with scientific tendency.

      > Apakah Anda Yahoo!?
      > Lelah menerima spam? Surat Yahoo! memiliki perlindungan terbaik
      terhadap spam
      > http://id.mail.yahoo.com

    • phillipetaylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2006
        wrote:
        >You know, I think a part of the revival of Gnostic interest comes
        from the fact that we tried that road already. I'm not negating the
        relevance, power and truth of the Eastern traditions, however I think
        the Avatars come into diverse cultures and generated diverse
        traditions for a reason. I don't believe there is a substantive
        difference between the wisdom treasuries of the East or West, or
        between the various of these, but that certain Wisdom Treasuries are
        more effective for others. In general, I think Western Wisdom
        Treasuries are more effective at generating mystical experience than
        Eastern ones for Westerners.

        I just think our minds as infants soak up the Western Cultural
        mindset, and the teachings of the West are geared towards unravelling
        that particular web, which is similarly true for the East and the
        Easterner's mind.

        But ultimately, it is all about what WORKS, so generalizations are
        just that, generalizations. ;-).

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2006
          Hey Phillip

          >>>I just think our minds as infants soak up the Western Cultural
          mindset, and the teachings of the West are geared towards unravelling
          that particular web, which is similarly true for the East and the
          Easterner's mind.<<<

          I think that is an excellent point. I do think there are some real
          differences in goals and purpose, but I don't mean to imply there are
          not similarities also. Still, I think there is no doubt that
          the "psychic" function (to use a Gnostic term) of the path is
          certainly geared to certain aspects of personhood as it relates to the
          culture in which they as well as the specific esoteric path are
          connected.