an invitation

  • abdul wahab
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
      Gnostic teaching has been widely discussed in the West much for merely satisfying intellectual hunger. Meanwhile in the East it has been practiced for practical necessity of spiritual achievement without being tried to make necessary adjustment in order to be accepted as it is really (should) be, to make it more universally felt.
      Mythology is usual in the East, but in the West it is viewed as the other way to express reality, a metaphor. I invite this forum especially those of with deep knowledge of Eastern wisdom to share ideas.
      I am personally a practitioner of Eastern wisdom especially Hindis and Sufis. But I feel strange when I read a book written by intellectual with western cultural background, it must be full of analysis and excellent; but not suggest how to make it more relevant in the West. Of course, not all western-style of writers do so. There are few of them performing not merely their intellectual duties, but acting as (or becoming) the real wise.
      Once more, I invite this forum to find any ideas -- not only to pave the way, but also -- to make primordial teaching of eastern wisdom practiced universally in the society with scientific tendency.

      Apakah Anda Yahoo!?
      Lelah menerima spam? Surat Yahoo! memiliki perlindungan terbaik terhadap spam
      http://id.mail.yahoo.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
        Hey Gus

        Thanks for the invite, but you didn't specify any other forum that
        dealt with the subject so that we could go there to talk about it.
        Let me suggest a specific group that does deal with the subject you
        are interested in, for anyone else who may wish to learn about the
        subject ....

        Or, if you had another forum in mind, Gus, feel free to post it.

        In exchange for your invite to talk about eastern mysticism with
        you, let me offer you an invite to learn about the specific movement
        known as "Gnosticism" with us.... here in this forum.

        PMCV

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, abdul wahab <gus_wahaby@...>
        wrote:

        > Gnostic teaching has been widely discussed in the West much for
        merely satisfying intellectual hunger. Meanwhile in the East it has
        been practiced for practical necessity of spiritual achievement
        without being tried to make necessary adjustment in order to be
        accepted as it is really (should) be, to make it more universally
        felt.
        > Mythology is usual in the East, but in the West it is viewed as
        the other way to express reality, a metaphor. I invite this forum
        especially those of with deep knowledge of Eastern wisdom to share
        ideas.
        > I am personally a practitioner of Eastern wisdom especially
        Hindis and Sufis. But I feel strange when I read a book written by
        intellectual with western cultural background, it must be full of
        analysis and excellent; but not suggest how to make it more relevant
        in the West. Of course, not all western-style of writers do so.
        There are few of them performing not merely their intellectual
        duties, but acting as (or becoming) the real wise.
        > Once more, I invite this forum to find any ideas -- not only to
        pave the way, but also -- to make primordial teaching of eastern
        wisdom practiced universally in the society with scientific tendency.

        > Apakah Anda Yahoo!?
        > Lelah menerima spam? Surat Yahoo! memiliki perlindungan terbaik
        terhadap spam
        > http://id.mail.yahoo.com

      • phillipetaylor
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10, 2006
          wrote:
          >You know, I think a part of the revival of Gnostic interest comes
          from the fact that we tried that road already. I'm not negating the
          relevance, power and truth of the Eastern traditions, however I think
          the Avatars come into diverse cultures and generated diverse
          traditions for a reason. I don't believe there is a substantive
          difference between the wisdom treasuries of the East or West, or
          between the various of these, but that certain Wisdom Treasuries are
          more effective for others. In general, I think Western Wisdom
          Treasuries are more effective at generating mystical experience than
          Eastern ones for Westerners.

          I just think our minds as infants soak up the Western Cultural
          mindset, and the teachings of the West are geared towards unravelling
          that particular web, which is similarly true for the East and the
          Easterner's mind.

          But ultimately, it is all about what WORKS, so generalizations are
          just that, generalizations. ;-).

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11, 2006
            Hey Phillip

            >>>I just think our minds as infants soak up the Western Cultural
            mindset, and the teachings of the West are geared towards unravelling
            that particular web, which is similarly true for the East and the
            Easterner's mind.<<<

            I think that is an excellent point. I do think there are some real
            differences in goals and purpose, but I don't mean to imply there are
            not similarities also. Still, I think there is no doubt that
            the "psychic" function (to use a Gnostic term) of the path is
            certainly geared to certain aspects of personhood as it relates to the
            culture in which they as well as the specific esoteric path are
            connected.