New Member

  • Samuel Tanner
    Message 1 of 137 , Feb 3, 2006
      Hello All:

      I am fairly new to the group, and wanted to take a moment to introduce
      myself. I am in Kentucky (not by choice), and practice a mixture of
      ancient Paganism and Christian Gnosticism. I turned to Gnostic thought
      after I found that Buddhism did not have the level of theism that I
      needed in my own belief system. However, I still wanted something
      which incorporated the mystical side of Buddhist thought. My own
      thought is more theological than emotional, and more ritualistic than
      experimental. However, at the core, it is still one based on a
      personal experience and knowledge of the divine. In general, my
      personal theological conceptions are continually being reformed around
      the ancient myth of the dying god. Of course, this is not just the
      Christian version, but I am enticed by every version, or near version,
      stretching to the ancient Sumerians. My goal here is to discuss,
      learn, share ideas, and progress further in my own search.

      ST
      Message 137 of 137 , Apr 8, 2006

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@...> wrote:

        > [. . .]
        >
        > Gerry and Lady C.,thanks for all of the info and links.…

        Thank you, Jana, for noticing them.

        > Gerry, after looking at the National Geographic link, I was

        > reminded of some suggestions I gave you on faded writing. I'm feeling
        > really good about watery sepia ink and sandpaper...and sand
        > horizontally and vertically...with the gray sandpaper...

        And ya know, that was the one suggestion you wrote me that I was the most hesitant to attempt.  There's something about the dual-layered papyrus and its almost glossy sheen that made me wonder if such coarse measures would destroy the whole thing, but the more I've thought about it (along with your renewed convictions), the more I believe it would indeed yield a desirable finish.  I imagine the weathered results would be akin to repeatedly wadding up a sheet of paper to the point that it becomes more like a thin piece of cloth rather than a crisp piece of paper.  Only this way, you avoid the wrinkles!