Re: emic / etic

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
      Ok, Mike and Cari, I am taking notes... keep 'em comming.

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello pmcvflag
      > >
      > > On 02/01/06, you wrote:
      > >
      > > > I was thinking of maybe making another lexicon like the one I
      > made
      > > > of Gnostic (and Platonist) terms, only with these academic
      terms
      > > > that one may come across in books dealing with Gnosticism from
      an
      > > > historical perspective.
      > > >
      > > > Etic, Emic, Apophatic, Docetic, etc...
      > > >
      > > > Can anyone think of any other terms that often come up?
      > > >
      > > > PMCV
      > >
      > > Encrantism for one, and its opposite, the official name of which
      > > eludes me right now. Also the Platonic idea(l) should be
      defined,
      > as
      > > it had so much influence on gnosticism.
      > >
      > > Regards
      > > --
      > > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
      > >

      > Mike, if "encratism" would signify devaluation of or even
      despising
      > bodily pleasures, then perhaps its opposite might be something
      > like "libertinism" or even "antinomianism"? I believe PMCV
      already
      > has "antinomianism" in his current lexicon, but not the others.
      So,

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
        Hello lady_caritas

        On 02/02/06, you wrote:

        > Mike, if "encratism" would signify devaluation of or even despising
        > bodily pleasures, then perhaps its opposite might be something like
        > "libertinism" or even "antinomianism"? I believe PMCV already has
        > "antinomianism" in his current lexicon, but not the others. So, in
        > addition to defining terms, if there is any interest,
        > comparison/contrast with other academic terms might be helpful, too.

        Antinimianism was the word I was trying to think of. Most gnostic
        groups were not strictly either, of course.

        Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
          Hello pmcvflag

          On 02/03/06, you wrote:

          > Ok, Mike and Cari, I am taking notes... keep 'em comming.
          >
          > PMCV

          How about some theological terms that gnostics use, like rebirth, or
          saint, contrasting the gnostic and orthodox definitions. I'm sure
          there are others.

          Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s