Re: emic / etic

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1 6:02 PM
      Hello pmcvflag

      On 02/01/06, you wrote:

      > I was thinking of maybe making another lexicon like the one I made
      > of Gnostic (and Platonist) terms, only with these academic terms
      > that one may come across in books dealing with Gnosticism from an
      > historical perspective.
      >
      > Etic, Emic, Apophatic, Docetic, etc...
      >
      > Can anyone think of any other terms that often come up?
      >
      > PMCV

      Encrantism for one, and its opposite, the official name of which
      eludes me right now. Also the Platonic idea(l) should be defined, as
      it had so much influence on gnosticism.

      Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2 5:45 AM
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:

        > Hello pmcvflag
        >
        > On 02/01/06, you wrote:
        >
        > > I was thinking of maybe making another lexicon like the one I
        made
        > > of Gnostic (and Platonist) terms, only with these academic terms
        > > that one may come across in books dealing with Gnosticism from an
        > > historical perspective.
        > >
        > > Etic, Emic, Apophatic, Docetic, etc...
        > >
        > > Can anyone think of any other terms that often come up?
        > >
        > > PMCV
        >
        > Encrantism for one, and its opposite, the official name of which
        > eludes me right now. Also the Platonic idea(l) should be defined,
        as
        > it had so much influence on gnosticism.
        >
        > Regards
        > --
        > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

        Mike, if "encratism" would signify devaluation of or even despising
        bodily pleasures, then perhaps its opposite might be something
        like "libertinism" or even "antinomianism"? I believe PMCV already
        has "antinomianism" in his current lexicon, but not the others. So,
        in addition to defining terms, if there is any interest,
        comparison/contrast with other academic terms might be helpful, too.

        For instance, PMCV, your lexicon has "syncretism." You often like to
        distinguish this term from "eclecticism," which is not on the current
        list. Likewise, "docetism" (on the current list) might be compared
        to "adoptionism."

        Just some ideas.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2 5:42 PM
          Ok, Mike and Cari, I am taking notes... keep 'em comming.

          PMCV

          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2 5:52 PM
            Hello lady_caritas

            On 02/02/06, you wrote:

            > Mike, if "encratism" would signify devaluation of or even despising
            > bodily pleasures, then perhaps its opposite might be something like
            > "libertinism" or even "antinomianism"? I believe PMCV already has
            > "antinomianism" in his current lexicon, but not the others. So, in
            > addition to defining terms, if there is any interest,
            > comparison/contrast with other academic terms might be helpful, too.

            Antinimianism was the word I was trying to think of. Most gnostic
            groups were not strictly either, of course.

            Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2 6:32 PM
              Hello pmcvflag

              On 02/03/06, you wrote:

              > Ok, Mike and Cari, I am taking notes... keep 'em comming.
              >
              > PMCV

              How about some theological terms that gnostics use, like rebirth, or
              saint, contrasting the gnostic and orthodox definitions. I'm sure
              there are others.

              Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s