Re: emic / etic

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
      I was thinking of maybe making another lexicon like the one I made
      of Gnostic (and Platonist) terms, only with these academic terms
      that one may come across in books dealing with Gnosticism from an
      historical perspective.

      Etic, Emic, Apophatic, Docetic, etc...

      Can anyone think of any other terms that often come up?

      PMCV

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hello pmcvflag

        On 02/01/06, you wrote:

        > I was thinking of maybe making another lexicon like the one I made
        > of Gnostic (and Platonist) terms, only with these academic terms
        > that one may come across in books dealing with Gnosticism from an
        > historical perspective.
        >
        > Etic, Emic, Apophatic, Docetic, etc...
        >
        > Can anyone think of any other terms that often come up?
        >
        > PMCV

        Encrantism for one, and its opposite, the official name of which
        eludes me right now. Also the Platonic idea(l) should be defined, as
        it had so much influence on gnosticism.

        Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:

          > Hello pmcvflag
          >
          > On 02/01/06, you wrote:
          >
          > > I was thinking of maybe making another lexicon like the one I
          made
          > > of Gnostic (and Platonist) terms, only with these academic terms
          > > that one may come across in books dealing with Gnosticism from an
          > > historical perspective.
          > >
          > > Etic, Emic, Apophatic, Docetic, etc...
          > >
          > > Can anyone think of any other terms that often come up?
          > >
          > > PMCV
          >
          > Encrantism for one, and its opposite, the official name of which
          > eludes me right now. Also the Platonic idea(l) should be defined,
          as
          > it had so much influence on gnosticism.
          >
          > Regards
          > --
          > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

          Mike, if "encratism" would signify devaluation of or even despising
          bodily pleasures, then perhaps its opposite might be something
          like "libertinism" or even "antinomianism"? I believe PMCV already
          has "antinomianism" in his current lexicon, but not the others. So,
          in addition to defining terms, if there is any interest,
          comparison/contrast with other academic terms might be helpful, too.

          For instance, PMCV, your lexicon has "syncretism." You often like to
          distinguish this term from "eclecticism," which is not on the current
          list. Likewise, "docetism" (on the current list) might be compared
          to "adoptionism."

          Just some ideas.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
            Ok, Mike and Cari, I am taking notes... keep 'em comming.

            PMCV

            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@...>

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
              Hello lady_caritas

              On 02/02/06, you wrote:

              > Mike, if "encratism" would signify devaluation of or even despising
              > bodily pleasures, then perhaps its opposite might be something like
              > "libertinism" or even "antinomianism"? I believe PMCV already has
              > "antinomianism" in his current lexicon, but not the others. So, in
              > addition to defining terms, if there is any interest,
              > comparison/contrast with other academic terms might be helpful, too.

              Antinimianism was the word I was trying to think of. Most gnostic
              groups were not strictly either, of course.

              Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
                Hello pmcvflag

                On 02/03/06, you wrote:

                > Ok, Mike and Cari, I am taking notes... keep 'em comming.
                >
                > PMCV

                How about some theological terms that gnostics use, like rebirth, or
                saint, contrasting the gnostic and orthodox definitions. I'm sure
                there are others.

                Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s