Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Valentinian Christians

  • Tsharpmin7@aol.com
    Message 1 of 99 , Jan 27, 2006
      hello AA....   maybe these particular Wiccan and New
      Age teachers you speak of need to develop the capacity
      to recognize those "empty containers" (I think of the
      type of approach you described more as entertainment
      and identity seeking) and turn them away at the door
      before they waste everbody else's time and energy....
      unless, of course, as part of the teaching, these
      mystical tourists are being made examples of.  some
      transformative traditions have this technique down to
      a virtual art form.  its not as cruel or cold as it sounds
      when to do so serves a higher purpose.  which is not
      to say that the individual, whether they are turned
      away or made an example of, does not benefit at
      some level.

      Your friend,

      Crispin Sainte III

      In a message dated 1/26/2006 5:34:03 PM Central Standard Time, koalaKards@... writes:
      Hi,

      I don't know if this is Homer or Crispin's quote:

      "but imitating hand-me-down transformative traditions
      in hopes of duplicating their highest accomplishments
      is pretty silly, yet it is the most common thing in the
      world and few ever think twice about it.  this may be a
      bit of a cliche, but it really does boil down to container
      and content; surface and depth.  so if you can
      recognize those who rely on the container; those who
      appear to you to be empty vessels, you're way ahead
      of the game.  and I believe you are!"

      I'm seeing this in Wiccan/New Age Community. Lots of wannabees they see Charmed and they look for people in the craft to teach "all that they know" then they consider themselves to be a High Priest/tess or in even New Age circles, Reiki Mastership in a weekend, or people calling themselves shaman after taking a single class just to say they are. I consider them to be "empty vessels". AA

      Tsharpmin7@... wrote:
      hey Homer... you seem to have developed a pretty
      mature and perceptive outlook regarding these
      matters in a very short time.  you're going to spare
      yourself a lot of wasted energy.

      some people approach traditional systems like Fred
      and Barney in the Flintstones cartoons approach the
      Buffalo Lodge: for its entertainment and social benefit.
      The secret handshakes are fun and its good to make
      friends with a common interest and slip away from
      the mundane and routine.  and there is nothing at
      all wrong with that as long you're not mistaking it for
      something higher.

      but imitating hand-me-down transformative traditions
      in hopes of duplicating their highest accomplishments
      is pretty silly, yet it is the most common thing in the
      world and few ever think twice about it.  this may be a
      bit of a cliche, but it really does boil down to container
      and content; surface and depth.  so if you can
      recognize those who rely on the container; those who
      appear to you to be empty vessels, you're way ahead
      of the game.  and I believe you are!

      the use of specialized language, myth and allegory
      may serve a very specific purpose when employed by
      those who have already arrived where I think you wish
      to someday arrive, Homer.  i think you'll understand
      the way and why of it as you continue to study the
      ancient Gnostics.  and i do agree with you in the sense
      that if there were a live and functioning Gnosticism
      today -- and i can't say for sure there isn't -- i imagine
      their use of metaphor and allegory would draw from
      more contemporary sources than those employed by
      the ancients; that those dusty old paradigms would
      have long since been discarded as barriers to learning
      in favor of something much more accessible and
      immediate.  to foment confusion, even if it's
      inadvertant, should be a very trustworthy indication to
      us that IT'S NOT HERE!

      as you so wisely suggest, Homer, mystery for the sake
      of mystery is just plain vanity and gamesmanship.
      they are what they are, not what they could be.

      Your friend,

      Crispin Sainte III

      In a message dated 1/26/2006 2:03:26 PM Central Standard Time, shaftpopper@... writes:
      Dear Crispin,

      This makes good sense to me. From what I've seen I think there is a lot of copying without understanding if what they're copying is even needed anymore. Its the same with some of the language and the myths and allegories. If I really want somebody to understand me or learn something I can teach I would try to make it as plain as I could. But I think some people like to be mysterious because it makes them feel special, and I think that just encourages the false self or our vanity. I feel like that's the wrong direction to go if you are trying to find something like what the original Gnostics were searching for. I like how in the Gnostic Gospels the Gnostics wouldn't waste their lives to be martyrs if they could help it. What a shame and a waste it would have been if they copied the orthodox Christians who thought that copying the Jesus myth would automatic get them in heaven. I think the Gnostics knew God would have to be insane to want something so cruel.

      Homer

    • Tsharpmin7@aol.com