emic / etic

  • Tsharpmin7@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2006
      Wow! Cari and PMCV.... thank you both!  great job. and
      thank you, Homer, for getting this big ball a-rollin'.
      these are some very interesting and useful concepts.
      no wonder the dictionaries couldn't do them justice.
      and i'm not surprised that these concepts are now
      employed by so many different disciplines.

      Your friend,

      Crispin Sainte III

    • shaftpopper@aol.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
          I was thinking of maybe making another lexicon like the one I made
          of Gnostic (and Platonist) terms, only with these academic terms
          that one may come across in books dealing with Gnosticism from an
          historical perspective.

          Etic, Emic, Apophatic, Docetic, etc...

          Can anyone think of any other terms that often come up?

          PMCV

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
            Hello pmcvflag

            On 02/01/06, you wrote:

            > I was thinking of maybe making another lexicon like the one I made
            > of Gnostic (and Platonist) terms, only with these academic terms
            > that one may come across in books dealing with Gnosticism from an
            > historical perspective.
            >
            > Etic, Emic, Apophatic, Docetic, etc...
            >
            > Can anyone think of any other terms that often come up?
            >
            > PMCV

            Encrantism for one, and its opposite, the official name of which
            eludes me right now. Also the Platonic idea(l) should be defined, as
            it had so much influence on gnosticism.

            Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:

              > Hello pmcvflag
              >
              > On 02/01/06, you wrote:
              >
              > > I was thinking of maybe making another lexicon like the one I
              made
              > > of Gnostic (and Platonist) terms, only with these academic terms
              > > that one may come across in books dealing with Gnosticism from an
              > > historical perspective.
              > >
              > > Etic, Emic, Apophatic, Docetic, etc...
              > >
              > > Can anyone think of any other terms that often come up?
              > >
              > > PMCV
              >
              > Encrantism for one, and its opposite, the official name of which
              > eludes me right now. Also the Platonic idea(l) should be defined,
              as
              > it had so much influence on gnosticism.
              >
              > Regards
              > --
              > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

              Mike, if "encratism" would signify devaluation of or even despising
              bodily pleasures, then perhaps its opposite might be something
              like "libertinism" or even "antinomianism"? I believe PMCV already
              has "antinomianism" in his current lexicon, but not the others. So,
              in addition to defining terms, if there is any interest,
              comparison/contrast with other academic terms might be helpful, too.

              For instance, PMCV, your lexicon has "syncretism." You often like to
              distinguish this term from "eclecticism," which is not on the current
              list. Likewise, "docetism" (on the current list) might be compared
              to "adoptionism."

              Just some ideas.

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
                Ok, Mike and Cari, I am taking notes... keep 'em comming.

                PMCV

                --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@...>

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Hello lady_caritas

                  On 02/02/06, you wrote:

                  > Mike, if "encratism" would signify devaluation of or even despising
                  > bodily pleasures, then perhaps its opposite might be something like
                  > "libertinism" or even "antinomianism"? I believe PMCV already has
                  > "antinomianism" in his current lexicon, but not the others. So, in
                  > addition to defining terms, if there is any interest,
                  > comparison/contrast with other academic terms might be helpful, too.

                  Antinimianism was the word I was trying to think of. Most gnostic
                  groups were not strictly either, of course.

                  Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Hello pmcvflag

                    On 02/03/06, you wrote:

                    > Ok, Mike and Cari, I am taking notes... keep 'em comming.
                    >
                    > PMCV

                    How about some theological terms that gnostics use, like rebirth, or
                    saint, contrasting the gnostic and orthodox definitions. I'm sure
                    there are others.

                    Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s