Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Vatican rethinking Judas (fwd)

  • Tsharpmin7@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 21, 2006
      hi Gerry.... this is a remarkable story.  curious to see
      how it unfolds from here, especially right wing
      reactions in America.

      i didn't realize Gibson's Passion movie portayed such a
      grissly demise for Judas.  i was under the impression
      his film was supposed to be a literal rendition of
      Matthew or John -- i've forgotten which.  were there
      other such fanciful ad libs in that film?  Martin
      Scorcese's The Last Temptation of Christ, which this
      article failed to mention, gives a sympathetic portrayal
      of Judas as very reluctant to turn Jesus in to the
      authorities: Jesus goes to great lengths to convince
      Judas that it has to be done.

      your friend,

      Crispin Sainte III

      In a message dated 1/13/2006 11:19:18 AM Central Standard Time, gerryhsp@... writes:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > Thought this might be of interest on this list as well as that of the
      > French Gnostic Church.
      >
      > *** Begin of forwarded message ***
      >
      > Date: 01/12/06 11:55 PM
      > From: Rev. Eugene T. Search M.S. OCM/CSM/OCP
      > Subject: [eglisegnostique] Vatican rethinking Judas
      >
      > --- Forwarded message follows ---
      >

      > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0%2C%2C13509-1981591%2C00.html
      > Judas is getting a makeover after 2000 years!
      >
      > G+
      >
      > *** End of forwarded message ***
      >
      > --
      > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

      That's pretty remarkable, Mike.  Now, the article mentions that this drive to revise how we look at Judas "coincides" with the upcoming release of the translation of the  Gospel of Judas.  Mere coincidence … or preemptive damage control?

      Speaking of that gospel, I have yet to see a completely reliable description of the new texts.  This article refers to the "Judas" portion as being 62 pages in length, but I was previously under the impression that all three books in that particular find amounted to that total.  If this is indeed the case, then there will be significantly more to see of the hitherto unseen work than the glimpses we have had of nine pages already.  Either way, this will be an interesting Easter present for all of us.