Re: If....

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005

      > Hello lady_caritas
      >
      > On 12/13/05, you wrote:
      >
      > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
      wrote:

      > > such

      > >> How about a discussion of the eternal "now" in a Gnotic context,
      > >> I'm reading On The Origins of the World, set in the past, yet it
      > >> seems
      > > it
      > >> is all happening now as I read it. I react this way to a lot of
      the
      > >> Gnostic scriptures.
      > >>
      > >> Regards
      > >> --
      > >> Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
      > >>

      > > Lead on, Mike. So, what thoughts would you like to share about
      your
      > > reactions of the "eternal now" derived from reading Gnostic
      > > scriptures? :-)
      > >
      > > Cari
      >
      > It is a general reaction, sometimes the creation myths seem in the
      > distant past, but sometimes they seem like they are going on now, in
      > me., or outside of time altogether. There is an impact of immedacy,
      > especially in On The Creation of the World.
      >
      > Regards
      > --
      > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

      That's interesting, Mike. Mythology can be powerful. I'm curious;
      do you experience this as an observer or do you identify with any
      characters of the myth?

      Cari
    • deby estephan
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
        question please: where do I get a copy of what you are reading from so I too can be included in the group discussions please....thank you, Deby

        lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > Hello lady_caritas
        >
        > On 12/13/05, you wrote:
        >
        > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
        wrote:

        > > such

        > >> How about a discussion of the eternal "now" in a Gnotic context,
        > >> I'm reading On The Origins of the World, set in the past, yet it
        > >> seems
        > > it
        > >> is all happening now as I read it. I react this way to a lot of
        the
        > >> Gnostic scriptures.
        > >>
        > >> Regards
        > >> --
        > >> Mike Leavitt  ac998_@_lafn._org  remove -'s
        > >>

        > > Lead on, Mike. So, what thoughts would you like to share about
        your
        > > reactions of the "eternal now" derived from reading Gnostic
        > > scriptures? :-)
        > >
        > > Cari
        >
        > It is a general reaction, sometimes the creation myths seem in the
        > distant past, but sometimes they seem like they are going on now, in
        > me., or outside of time altogether.  There is an impact of immedacy,
        > especially in On The Creation of the World.
        >
        > Regards
        > --
        > Mike Leavitt  ac998_@_lafn._org  remove -'s

        That's interesting, Mike.  Mythology can be powerful.  I'm curious;
        do you experience this as an observer or do you identify with any
        characters of the myth?

        Cari

        Yahoo! Shopping

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, deby estephan <nicudle2002@y...>
          wrote:

          > question please: where do I get a copy of what you are reading from
          so I too can be included in the group discussions please....thank
          you, Deby

          Hello, Deby. You can find "On the Origin of the World" and other
          Gnostic scriptures at gnosis.org ~
          http://gnosis.org/naghamm/origin.html

          Also, a couple books of Gnostic text selections that include this
          work are _The Nag Hammadi Library_, edited by James M. Robinson, and
          _The Gnostic Bible_, edited by Barnstone and Meyer.

          Feel free to jump in conversation anytime, Deby.

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
            Hello lady_caritas

            On 12/13/05, you wrote:

            >> It is a general reaction, sometimes the creation myths seem in the
            >> distant past, but sometimes they seem like they are going on now,
            >> in me., or outside of time altogether. There is an impact of
            >> immedacy, especially in On The Creation of the World.
            >>
            >> Regards
            >> --
            >> Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
            >>

            > That's interesting, Mike. Mythology can be powerful. I'm curious;
            > do you experience this as an observer or do you identify with any
            > characters of the myth?
            >
            > Cari

            It varries, sometimes the sophia character, sometimes the narrator,
            sometimes just as an observer. I did identify with the archon
            Saboath as he was beatified for seeing through his father, but that
            happened years ago too when I read the Hypostasis of the Archons in
            NHL.

            Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
              Hello deby

              On 12/14/05, you wrote:

              > question please: where do I get a copy of what you are reading from
              > so I too can be included in the group discussions please....thank
              > you, Deby

              THE GNOSTIC BIBLE Barnstone and Myer/Shamballa is the publisher. A
              very heavy book in more than one sense of the term.

              Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 16, 2005
                Hey all

                This is a GREAT idea for discussion. I wish I could post more, but
                this is my last day before my big trip. I just wanted to throw a
                little fuel in the tank before I go.

                I find this intersting in the Gospel of Truth. When it talks about
                the "Error" and how it disolves into "Truth", sometimes it seems to
                talk about it as something that will happen, other times as
                something that already happened. There seems to be an ambiguity
                between past, present, and future.

                One could wonder if this is a glitch in the translation, but one
                could also see this as part of a general perception that the
                cosmology, soteriology, and eschatology are all one thing to some
                extent, and they repeat each time an individual comes to understand
                them. When does the Christ rise? When the psychic is initiated into
                pneumaticism. When does the error fade? When the Gnostic sees the
                light of the Father. When does the Kingdom of the Father
                come? ....... It is before us but man does not see it.

                Happened, happening, will happen; in the light of an initiatory
                process the destinction between these tenses may not always be
                clear... or even important beyond what they mean to the process
                itself.

                Maybe you all can think of other specific examples in the texts

                Ok, that is probably my last post for awhile, so you all take care
                and have a great holiday season!!! Keep the conversation alive :)

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 16, 2005
                  Hello pmcvflag

                  See below.

                  On 12/16/05, you wrote:

                  > Hey all
                  >
                  > This is a GREAT idea for discussion. I wish I could post more, but
                  > this is my last day before my big trip. I just wanted to throw a
                  > little fuel in the tank before I go.
                  >
                  > I find this intersting in the Gospel of Truth. When it talks about
                  > the "Error" and how it disolves into "Truth", sometimes it seems to
                  > talk about it as something that will happen, other times as
                  > something that already happened. There seems to be an ambiguity
                  > between past, present, and future.
                  >
                  > One could wonder if this is a glitch in the translation, but one
                  > could also see this as part of a general perception that the
                  > cosmology, soteriology, and eschatology are all one thing to some
                  > extent, and they repeat each time an individual comes to understand
                  > them. When does the Christ rise? When the psychic is initiated into
                  > pneumaticism. When does the error fade? When the Gnostic sees the
                  > light of the Father. When does the Kingdom of the Father
                  > come? ....... It is before us but man does not see it.
                  >
                  > Happened, happening, will happen; in the light of an initiatory
                  > process the destinction between these tenses may not always be
                  > clear... or even important beyond what they mean to the process
                  > itself.
                  >
                  > Maybe you all can think of other specific examples in the texts
                  >
                  > Ok, that is probably my last post for awhile, so you all take care
                  > and have a great holiday season!!! Keep the conversation alive :)

                  > the
                  > now,

                  Pedantic point, it is origin not creation in the title in the Gnostic
                  Bible. Time is ancy anyway, in eternity it does not exist.