Re: If....

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005

      > Hello janahooks
      >
      > On 12/13/05, you wrote:
      >
      > > Mike & Lady C.,
      > >
      > >> Lead on, Mike. So, what thoughts would you like to share about
      your
      > >> reactions of the "eternal now" derived from reading Gnostic
      > >> scriptures? :-)
      > >
      > > Wait for the slow one to catch up...what's the "eternal now"? Is
      > > this something I can look up, or is the term a Mike-ism? :)
      > >
      > > jana
      >
      > It is a philosophical term, and you should be able to look it up,
      > simply it is the idea that the only reality is now, and that the
      past
      > and future really do not exist as such, only as concepts. I hope I
      > got that right.
      >
      > Regards
      > --
      > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

      Hi, Mike, jana... The Neoplatonist Plotinus used this concept.
      The "eternal now" transcends the temporal world of change, if I
      remember correctly.

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005

        > Hello lady_caritas
        >
        > On 12/13/05, you wrote:
        >
        > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
        wrote:

        > > such

        > >> How about a discussion of the eternal "now" in a Gnotic context,
        > >> I'm reading On The Origins of the World, set in the past, yet it
        > >> seems
        > > it
        > >> is all happening now as I read it. I react this way to a lot of
        the
        > >> Gnostic scriptures.
        > >>
        > >> Regards
        > >> --
        > >> Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
        > >>

        > > Lead on, Mike. So, what thoughts would you like to share about
        your
        > > reactions of the "eternal now" derived from reading Gnostic
        > > scriptures? :-)
        > >
        > > Cari
        >
        > It is a general reaction, sometimes the creation myths seem in the
        > distant past, but sometimes they seem like they are going on now, in
        > me., or outside of time altogether. There is an impact of immedacy,
        > especially in On The Creation of the World.
        >
        > Regards
        > --
        > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

        That's interesting, Mike. Mythology can be powerful. I'm curious;
        do you experience this as an observer or do you identify with any
        characters of the myth?

        Cari
      • deby estephan
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
          question please: where do I get a copy of what you are reading from so I too can be included in the group discussions please....thank you, Deby

          lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > Hello lady_caritas
          >
          > On 12/13/05, you wrote:
          >
          > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
          wrote:

          > > such

          > >> How about a discussion of the eternal "now" in a Gnotic context,
          > >> I'm reading On The Origins of the World, set in the past, yet it
          > >> seems
          > > it
          > >> is all happening now as I read it. I react this way to a lot of
          the
          > >> Gnostic scriptures.
          > >>
          > >> Regards
          > >> --
          > >> Mike Leavitt  ac998_@_lafn._org  remove -'s
          > >>

          > > Lead on, Mike. So, what thoughts would you like to share about
          your
          > > reactions of the "eternal now" derived from reading Gnostic
          > > scriptures? :-)
          > >
          > > Cari
          >
          > It is a general reaction, sometimes the creation myths seem in the
          > distant past, but sometimes they seem like they are going on now, in
          > me., or outside of time altogether.  There is an impact of immedacy,
          > especially in On The Creation of the World.
          >
          > Regards
          > --
          > Mike Leavitt  ac998_@_lafn._org  remove -'s

          That's interesting, Mike.  Mythology can be powerful.  I'm curious;
          do you experience this as an observer or do you identify with any
          characters of the myth?

          Cari

          Yahoo! Shopping

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, deby estephan <nicudle2002@y...>
            wrote:

            > question please: where do I get a copy of what you are reading from
            so I too can be included in the group discussions please....thank
            you, Deby

            Hello, Deby. You can find "On the Origin of the World" and other
            Gnostic scriptures at gnosis.org ~
            http://gnosis.org/naghamm/origin.html

            Also, a couple books of Gnostic text selections that include this
            work are _The Nag Hammadi Library_, edited by James M. Robinson, and
            _The Gnostic Bible_, edited by Barnstone and Meyer.

            Feel free to jump in conversation anytime, Deby.

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
              Hello lady_caritas

              On 12/13/05, you wrote:

              >> It is a general reaction, sometimes the creation myths seem in the
              >> distant past, but sometimes they seem like they are going on now,
              >> in me., or outside of time altogether. There is an impact of
              >> immedacy, especially in On The Creation of the World.
              >>
              >> Regards
              >> --
              >> Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
              >>

              > That's interesting, Mike. Mythology can be powerful. I'm curious;
              > do you experience this as an observer or do you identify with any
              > characters of the myth?
              >
              > Cari

              It varries, sometimes the sophia character, sometimes the narrator,
              sometimes just as an observer. I did identify with the archon
              Saboath as he was beatified for seeing through his father, but that
              happened years ago too when I read the Hypostasis of the Archons in
              NHL.

              Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
                Hello deby

                On 12/14/05, you wrote:

                > question please: where do I get a copy of what you are reading from
                > so I too can be included in the group discussions please....thank
                > you, Deby

                THE GNOSTIC BIBLE Barnstone and Myer/Shamballa is the publisher. A
                very heavy book in more than one sense of the term.

                Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 16, 2005
                  Hey all

                  This is a GREAT idea for discussion. I wish I could post more, but
                  this is my last day before my big trip. I just wanted to throw a
                  little fuel in the tank before I go.

                  I find this intersting in the Gospel of Truth. When it talks about
                  the "Error" and how it disolves into "Truth", sometimes it seems to
                  talk about it as something that will happen, other times as
                  something that already happened. There seems to be an ambiguity
                  between past, present, and future.

                  One could wonder if this is a glitch in the translation, but one
                  could also see this as part of a general perception that the
                  cosmology, soteriology, and eschatology are all one thing to some
                  extent, and they repeat each time an individual comes to understand
                  them. When does the Christ rise? When the psychic is initiated into
                  pneumaticism. When does the error fade? When the Gnostic sees the
                  light of the Father. When does the Kingdom of the Father
                  come? ....... It is before us but man does not see it.

                  Happened, happening, will happen; in the light of an initiatory
                  process the destinction between these tenses may not always be
                  clear... or even important beyond what they mean to the process
                  itself.

                  Maybe you all can think of other specific examples in the texts

                  Ok, that is probably my last post for awhile, so you all take care
                  and have a great holiday season!!! Keep the conversation alive :)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 16, 2005
                    Hello pmcvflag

                    See below.

                    On 12/16/05, you wrote:

                    > Hey all
                    >
                    > This is a GREAT idea for discussion. I wish I could post more, but
                    > this is my last day before my big trip. I just wanted to throw a
                    > little fuel in the tank before I go.
                    >
                    > I find this intersting in the Gospel of Truth. When it talks about
                    > the "Error" and how it disolves into "Truth", sometimes it seems to
                    > talk about it as something that will happen, other times as
                    > something that already happened. There seems to be an ambiguity
                    > between past, present, and future.
                    >
                    > One could wonder if this is a glitch in the translation, but one
                    > could also see this as part of a general perception that the
                    > cosmology, soteriology, and eschatology are all one thing to some
                    > extent, and they repeat each time an individual comes to understand
                    > them. When does the Christ rise? When the psychic is initiated into
                    > pneumaticism. When does the error fade? When the Gnostic sees the
                    > light of the Father. When does the Kingdom of the Father
                    > come? ....... It is before us but man does not see it.
                    >
                    > Happened, happening, will happen; in the light of an initiatory
                    > process the destinction between these tenses may not always be
                    > clear... or even important beyond what they mean to the process
                    > itself.
                    >
                    > Maybe you all can think of other specific examples in the texts
                    >
                    > Ok, that is probably my last post for awhile, so you all take care
                    > and have a great holiday season!!! Keep the conversation alive :)

                    > the
                    > now,

                    Pedantic point, it is origin not creation in the title in the Gnostic
                    Bible. Time is ancy anyway, in eternity it does not exist.