If....

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 9, 2005
      If there is one particular subject that you feel is lacking in books
      on the subject of historical Gnosticism; what is it? There are many
      books out on the subject now. Is there anything that you feel just
      doesn't get explained, or get enough attention?

      PMCV
    • janahooks
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 9, 2005

        > If there is one particular subject that you feel is lacking in books
        > on the subject of historical Gnosticism; what is it? There are many
        > books out on the subject now. Is there anything that you feel just
        > doesn't get explained, or get enough attention?

        Dear Santa,

             I would like to see a comparison of all the different gnostic sects with glossaries, maps, charts of the emanations per sect, and a shiny fold-out timeline.  If this already exists, do tell.  If not, I guess I wouldn't mind a pony.

        Sincerely,

        jana

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 9, 2005
          Hello janahooks

          On 12/09/05, you wrote:

          >> If there is one particular subject that you feel is lacking in
          >> books
          >> on the subject of historical Gnosticism; what is it? There are
          >> many
          >> books out on the subject now. Is there anything that you feel just
          >> doesn't get explained, or get enough attention?
          >

          > Dear Santa,
          >
          > I would like to see a comparison of all the different gnostic
          > sects with glossaries, maps, charts of the emanations per sect, and
          > a shiny fold-out timeline. If this already exists, do tell. If not,
          > I guess I wouldn't mind a pony.
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > jana

          And do it with original texts.

          Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 10, 2005

            I would like to see a comparison of all the different gnostic
            sects with glossaries, maps, charts of the emanations per sect, and a
            shiny fold-out timeline. If this already exists, do tell. If not, I
            guess I wouldn't mind a pony.

            Sincerely,

            jana<<<<

            Oh my, well... Santa's helper has been working on exactly that for a
            couple years now, but I don't think he will have it done by THIS
            holiday. Perhaps the pony is a bit easier.
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 10, 2005
              >>And do it with original texts.<<<

              WOW... I think we better examine whether you were THAT good of a
              boy, Mike!!!! ;) Well, I guess we should be proud that we have such
              a demanding group of people.

              So, uhm... how about anything you guys can think of for the more
              immediate function I had in mind; some subject that doesn't get
              talked about which we can work on in here?

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 10, 2005
                Hello pmcvflag

                On 12/10/05, you wrote:

                >>> And do it with original texts.<<<
                >
                > WOW... I think we better examine whether you were THAT good of a
                > boy, Mike!!!! ;) Well, I guess we should be proud that we have such
                > a demanding group of people.
                >
                > So, uhm... how about anything you guys can think of for the more
                > immediate function I had in mind; some subject that doesn't get
                > talked about which we can work on in here?
                >
                > PMCV

                How about a discussion of the eternal "now" in a Gnotic context, I'm
                reading On The Origins of the World, set in the past, yet it seems it
                is all happening now as I read it. I react this way to a lot of the
                Gnostic scriptures.

                Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 12, 2005

                  > > WOW... I think we better examine whether you were THAT good of a
                  > > boy, Mike!!!! ;) Well, I guess we should be proud that we have
                  such
                  > > a demanding group of people.
                  > >
                  > > So, uhm... how about anything you guys can think of for the more
                  > > immediate function I had in mind; some subject that doesn't get
                  > > talked about which we can work on in here?
                  > >
                  > > PMCV
                  >
                  > How about a discussion of the eternal "now" in a Gnotic context, I'm
                  > reading On The Origins of the World, set in the past, yet it seems
                  it
                  > is all happening now as I read it. I react this way to a lot of the
                  > Gnostic scriptures.
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > --
                  > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

                  Lead on, Mike. So, what thoughts would you like to share about your
                  reactions of the "eternal now" derived from reading Gnostic
                  scriptures? :-)

                  Cari
                • janahooks
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
                    Mike & Lady C.,

                    > Lead on, Mike. So, what thoughts would you like to share about your
                    > reactions of the "eternal now" derived from reading Gnostic
                    > scriptures? :-)

                    Wait for the slow one to catch up...what's the "eternal now"? Is this
                    something I can look up, or is the term a Mike-ism? :)

                    jana
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
                      Hello lady_caritas

                      On 12/13/05, you wrote:

                      >>> WOW... I think we better examine whether you were THAT good of a
                      >>> boy, Mike!!!! ;) Well, I guess we should be proud that we have
                      > such
                      >> > a demanding group of people.
                      >> >
                      >> > So, uhm... how about anything you guys can think of for the more
                      >> > immediate function I had in mind; some subject that doesn't get
                      >> > talked about which we can work on in here?
                      >> >
                      >> > PMCV
                      >>
                      >> How about a discussion of the eternal "now" in a Gnotic context,
                      >> I'm reading On The Origins of the World, set in the past, yet it
                      >> seems
                      > it
                      >> is all happening now as I read it. I react this way to a lot of the
                      >> Gnostic scriptures.
                      >>
                      >> Regards
                      >> --
                      >> Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
                      >>

                      > Lead on, Mike. So, what thoughts would you like to share about your
                      > reactions of the "eternal now" derived from reading Gnostic
                      > scriptures? :-)
                      >
                      > Cari

                      It is a general reaction, sometimes the creation myths seem in the
                      distant past, but sometimes they seem like they are going on now, in
                      me., or outside of time altogether. There is an impact of immedacy,
                      especially in On The Creation of the World.

                      Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
                        Hello janahooks

                        On 12/13/05, you wrote:

                        > Mike & Lady C.,
                        >
                        >> Lead on, Mike. So, what thoughts would you like to share about your
                        >> reactions of the "eternal now" derived from reading Gnostic
                        >> scriptures? :-)
                        >
                        > Wait for the slow one to catch up...what's the "eternal now"? Is
                        > this something I can look up, or is the term a Mike-ism? :)
                        >
                        > jana

                        It is a philosophical term, and you should be able to look it up,
                        simply it is the idea that the only reality is now, and that the past
                        and future really do not exist as such, only as concepts. I hope I
                        got that right.

                        Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005

                          > Hello janahooks
                          >
                          > On 12/13/05, you wrote:
                          >
                          > > Mike & Lady C.,
                          > >
                          > >> Lead on, Mike. So, what thoughts would you like to share about
                          your
                          > >> reactions of the "eternal now" derived from reading Gnostic
                          > >> scriptures? :-)
                          > >
                          > > Wait for the slow one to catch up...what's the "eternal now"? Is
                          > > this something I can look up, or is the term a Mike-ism? :)
                          > >
                          > > jana
                          >
                          > It is a philosophical term, and you should be able to look it up,
                          > simply it is the idea that the only reality is now, and that the
                          past
                          > and future really do not exist as such, only as concepts. I hope I
                          > got that right.
                          >
                          > Regards
                          > --
                          > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

                          Hi, Mike, jana... The Neoplatonist Plotinus used this concept.
                          The "eternal now" transcends the temporal world of change, if I
                          remember correctly.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005

                            > Hello lady_caritas
                            >
                            > On 12/13/05, you wrote:
                            >
                            > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
                            wrote:

                            > > such

                            > >> How about a discussion of the eternal "now" in a Gnotic context,
                            > >> I'm reading On The Origins of the World, set in the past, yet it
                            > >> seems
                            > > it
                            > >> is all happening now as I read it. I react this way to a lot of
                            the
                            > >> Gnostic scriptures.
                            > >>
                            > >> Regards
                            > >> --
                            > >> Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
                            > >>

                            > > Lead on, Mike. So, what thoughts would you like to share about
                            your
                            > > reactions of the "eternal now" derived from reading Gnostic
                            > > scriptures? :-)
                            > >
                            > > Cari
                            >
                            > It is a general reaction, sometimes the creation myths seem in the
                            > distant past, but sometimes they seem like they are going on now, in
                            > me., or outside of time altogether. There is an impact of immedacy,
                            > especially in On The Creation of the World.
                            >
                            > Regards
                            > --
                            > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

                            That's interesting, Mike. Mythology can be powerful. I'm curious;
                            do you experience this as an observer or do you identify with any
                            characters of the myth?

                            Cari
                          • deby estephan
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
                              question please: where do I get a copy of what you are reading from so I too can be included in the group discussions please....thank you, Deby

                              lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              > Hello lady_caritas
                              >
                              > On 12/13/05, you wrote:
                              >
                              > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
                              wrote:

                              > > such

                              > >> How about a discussion of the eternal "now" in a Gnotic context,
                              > >> I'm reading On The Origins of the World, set in the past, yet it
                              > >> seems
                              > > it
                              > >> is all happening now as I read it. I react this way to a lot of
                              the
                              > >> Gnostic scriptures.
                              > >>
                              > >> Regards
                              > >> --
                              > >> Mike Leavitt  ac998_@_lafn._org  remove -'s
                              > >>

                              > > Lead on, Mike. So, what thoughts would you like to share about
                              your
                              > > reactions of the "eternal now" derived from reading Gnostic
                              > > scriptures? :-)
                              > >
                              > > Cari
                              >
                              > It is a general reaction, sometimes the creation myths seem in the
                              > distant past, but sometimes they seem like they are going on now, in
                              > me., or outside of time altogether.  There is an impact of immedacy,
                              > especially in On The Creation of the World.
                              >
                              > Regards
                              > --
                              > Mike Leavitt  ac998_@_lafn._org  remove -'s

                              That's interesting, Mike.  Mythology can be powerful.  I'm curious;
                              do you experience this as an observer or do you identify with any
                              characters of the myth?

                              Cari

                              Yahoo! Shopping

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
                                --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, deby estephan <nicudle2002@y...>
                                wrote:

                                > question please: where do I get a copy of what you are reading from
                                so I too can be included in the group discussions please....thank
                                you, Deby

                                Hello, Deby. You can find "On the Origin of the World" and other
                                Gnostic scriptures at gnosis.org ~
                                http://gnosis.org/naghamm/origin.html

                                Also, a couple books of Gnostic text selections that include this
                                work are _The Nag Hammadi Library_, edited by James M. Robinson, and
                                _The Gnostic Bible_, edited by Barnstone and Meyer.

                                Feel free to jump in conversation anytime, Deby.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
                                  Hello lady_caritas

                                  On 12/13/05, you wrote:

                                  >> It is a general reaction, sometimes the creation myths seem in the
                                  >> distant past, but sometimes they seem like they are going on now,
                                  >> in me., or outside of time altogether. There is an impact of
                                  >> immedacy, especially in On The Creation of the World.
                                  >>
                                  >> Regards
                                  >> --
                                  >> Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
                                  >>

                                  > That's interesting, Mike. Mythology can be powerful. I'm curious;
                                  > do you experience this as an observer or do you identify with any
                                  > characters of the myth?
                                  >
                                  > Cari

                                  It varries, sometimes the sophia character, sometimes the narrator,
                                  sometimes just as an observer. I did identify with the archon
                                  Saboath as he was beatified for seeing through his father, but that
                                  happened years ago too when I read the Hypostasis of the Archons in
                                  NHL.

                                  Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 13, 2005
                                    Hello deby

                                    On 12/14/05, you wrote:

                                    > question please: where do I get a copy of what you are reading from
                                    > so I too can be included in the group discussions please....thank
                                    > you, Deby

                                    THE GNOSTIC BIBLE Barnstone and Myer/Shamballa is the publisher. A
                                    very heavy book in more than one sense of the term.

                                    Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 16, 2005
                                      Hey all

                                      This is a GREAT idea for discussion. I wish I could post more, but
                                      this is my last day before my big trip. I just wanted to throw a
                                      little fuel in the tank before I go.

                                      I find this intersting in the Gospel of Truth. When it talks about
                                      the "Error" and how it disolves into "Truth", sometimes it seems to
                                      talk about it as something that will happen, other times as
                                      something that already happened. There seems to be an ambiguity
                                      between past, present, and future.

                                      One could wonder if this is a glitch in the translation, but one
                                      could also see this as part of a general perception that the
                                      cosmology, soteriology, and eschatology are all one thing to some
                                      extent, and they repeat each time an individual comes to understand
                                      them. When does the Christ rise? When the psychic is initiated into
                                      pneumaticism. When does the error fade? When the Gnostic sees the
                                      light of the Father. When does the Kingdom of the Father
                                      come? ....... It is before us but man does not see it.

                                      Happened, happening, will happen; in the light of an initiatory
                                      process the destinction between these tenses may not always be
                                      clear... or even important beyond what they mean to the process
                                      itself.

                                      Maybe you all can think of other specific examples in the texts

                                      Ok, that is probably my last post for awhile, so you all take care
                                      and have a great holiday season!!! Keep the conversation alive :)

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 16, 2005
                                        Hello pmcvflag

                                        See below.

                                        On 12/16/05, you wrote:

                                        > Hey all
                                        >
                                        > This is a GREAT idea for discussion. I wish I could post more, but
                                        > this is my last day before my big trip. I just wanted to throw a
                                        > little fuel in the tank before I go.
                                        >
                                        > I find this intersting in the Gospel of Truth. When it talks about
                                        > the "Error" and how it disolves into "Truth", sometimes it seems to
                                        > talk about it as something that will happen, other times as
                                        > something that already happened. There seems to be an ambiguity
                                        > between past, present, and future.
                                        >
                                        > One could wonder if this is a glitch in the translation, but one
                                        > could also see this as part of a general perception that the
                                        > cosmology, soteriology, and eschatology are all one thing to some
                                        > extent, and they repeat each time an individual comes to understand
                                        > them. When does the Christ rise? When the psychic is initiated into
                                        > pneumaticism. When does the error fade? When the Gnostic sees the
                                        > light of the Father. When does the Kingdom of the Father
                                        > come? ....... It is before us but man does not see it.
                                        >
                                        > Happened, happening, will happen; in the light of an initiatory
                                        > process the destinction between these tenses may not always be
                                        > clear... or even important beyond what they mean to the process
                                        > itself.
                                        >
                                        > Maybe you all can think of other specific examples in the texts
                                        >
                                        > Ok, that is probably my last post for awhile, so you all take care
                                        > and have a great holiday season!!! Keep the conversation alive :)

                                        > the
                                        > now,

                                        Pedantic point, it is origin not creation in the title in the Gnostic
                                        Bible. Time is ancy anyway, in eternity it does not exist.