Re: I feel depression may be about 'spiritual attack'

  • John Franks
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2005
      Depression is not something you can just "snap out of." It's caused by
      an imbalance of brain chemicals, along with other factors. Like any
      serious medical condition, depression needs to be treated.

      Depression can make you feel hopeless and helpless. But just taking
      the first step—deciding to get treatment—can make all the difference.

      Even after you've learned that you have depression and sought
      treatment for it, you won't feel better right away. Depression can be
      frustrating, because recovering from it takes time.
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 7, 2005
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "angelanjones2003"
        <angelanjones2003@y...> wrote:

        > I was told this a while ago, & there are times that I
        feel 'trapped' by
        > a life where Negatives always over ride & out do the positives. I
        know
        > Buddhists do a meditation to 'balance the positive with the
        negative.

        > Why would my life be dogged by negatives, I am very afraid of this
        as
        > it stops any chance of happiness for me. I need to be released from
        > this & I am not 'sinful'
        > Perhaps prayers effect this???
        >
        > What are your views?

        angelanjones, we've had some good commentary and suggestions from
        members, which you can ponder and apply as needed according to your
        particular situation.

        In past years in our forum, we have discussed the difference between
        worldview and outlook.

        The ancient Gnostics viewed our world as flawed. We see varying
        degrees of imperfection described in various literature,... from
        spiritual sparks being trapped in a material prison of our world to a
        more positive view of creation as a tool aiding the maturing spirit.
        Yet, an ongoing depressive state need not be a given. Hope and love
        and "resurrection" in this lifetime were very important to the
        Gnostics, and Gnosis was salvific.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 2005
          Angela

          >>>I was told this a while ago, & there are times that I
          feel 'trapped' by a life where Negatives always over ride & out do the
          positives. I know Buddhists do a meditation to 'balance the positive
          with the negative.

          Why would my life be dogged by negatives, I am very afraid of this as
          it stops any chance of happiness for me. I need to be released from
          this & I am not 'sinful' Perhaps prayers effect this???<<<<

          What is it that made you curious to ask this particular question on a
          Gnostic forum? What I mean is, is there anything specific in
          Gnosticism that made you feel like there could be some answer to this
          problem in it?

          PMCV
        • angela jones
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 13, 2005

            What are your views?

            (69) Jesus said, "Blessed are they who have been persecuted within
            themselves. It is they who have truly come to know the father. Blessed are
            the hungry, for the belly of him who desires will be filled."
            (Gospel of Thomas)

            Nick

            Nick Thanx for your very interesting reply, lovely to know that Jesus said that I will be blessed & have come to truly know the father.

            I know chemical imbalances can be a cause of depression, but yr answer was one, that was more relevant than the 'scientific' point of view.
            Sometimes I need spiritual guidance much more than 'Anti-depressants!'
            I feel a lot better today, more communication has come into my life in a positive way. That is nice, plus God is somehow leading me through this valley of the shadow.

            Blessings to you & yours
            In Yeshu's name!

            Anj

            Yahoo! Shopping
          • angela jones
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 13, 2005
              A lot of my depressions are about feeling dominated by stronger personalities, my half sister has become highly successful & so she has quite a cold stern attitude, I find it really upsetting.

              Anj

              Yahoo! Shopping