How to fight Depression!

  • John Franks
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2005
      Depression is a vicious enemy, and you have to fight back. You may
      feel like you're not strong enough to fight, but you really do have
      that strength. You really are stronger than you think.

      When you're depressed, you constantly have self-defeating thoughts.
      The only thing you can focus on is your sadness. When you're
      depressed, it can be difficult to get out of that depression. Say to
      yourself, "Do I really want to be depressed? Do I like feeling this
      way?" Of course you don't want to be depressed. No matter how bad
      you feel, hold on. Don't let yourself get to the point where you
      feel like there's no hope. I guarantee that there is always hope.
      Don't let yourself stay in your depression. Fight back!

      A good way to fight depression is to keep busy. When you're
      depressed, you usually don't feel like doing anything. You just want
      to lie in bed or sit in a chair. If you do that, your mind will
      become idle, and self-defeating thoughts may come into your head.
      The longer you're idle, the deeper you'll be drawn into your
      depression. Don't allow your mind to become idle.

      As soon as depression starts, stand up and keep moving. When you're
      busy doing something, you won't be thinking about your problems;
      instead, your mind and body will be occupied with the task you're
      doing. You may not feel like doing that task, but force yourself to
      do it. Even if you feel incredibly bad, get up and move. In the
      first few minutes of that task, you might feel like giving up.
      You'll have the urge to sit back down. Force yourself to keep
      moving. You'll start to feel better.

      Depression can sometimes grow while you're eating. When you're
      eating, your mind can easily become idle, and the depression can
      increase. To fight depression while you're eating, read something to
      keep your mind occupied. Another way to keep your mind busy while
      you're eating is to write a word on a piece of paper. Try to form
      other words from that word. For example, write the word "holiday."
      From those letters you can form the words "lid," "dial," and "hay."
      Just when you think you can't form any more words, you can often
      find another one, and you'll have a strong feeling of
      accomplishment. When you're finished with the first word, write down
      another, and try to form words from it. This may seem like a silly
      thing to do, but it's fun, and it will keep your mind occupied.

      When you're depressed, you'll tend to let chores pile up until they
      become overwhelming. You won't feel like cleaning your house,
      washing your clothes, or paying your bills. When things pile up, you
      can get even more depressed. A good way to fight depression is to do
      something every day. You can make a list of things you need to do
      each day. You can pay your bills the day you get them, wash your
      dishes every day, and clean your home at specific times each month.

      When you get completely caught up each day, you'll have a wonderful
      feeling of accomplishment. Your life will be simplified. You won't
      be overwhelmed with things you need to do. The important thing is to
      keep things moving so that they won't pile up.

      When you're depressed, interact with people as soon as possible. You
      can call someone on the phone or go shopping. Be around people.
      Talking can really help. You don't have to talk about your
      depression; talk about anything.

      Another way to fight depression is to find a way to be needed. You
      can buy a plant. Think of the plant as your friend. Think how it
      depends on you to take care of it. Your plant is sitting there,
      waiting for you to be nice to it. When you water it, think how kind
      you are-- because you're taking care of its needs.

      An excellent way to fight depression is to do nice things for
      people. You'll be focusing on their needs, and this will get your
      mind off your problems. When you help someone, you'll feel good
      about yourself. Whenever you feel depressed, think of nice things
      you can do for people. Use your imagination. Think of ways you can
      make their lives better. Ask them whether there's anything you can
      do for them. Even if it's inconvenient for you, try to help other
      people with their needs. Surprise them with something unexpected.

      You can say to yourself, "My life may be unhappy, but I'm going to
      make someone else's life happy." When you help people, you'll be
      doing a wonderful thing for them, and you'll feel good about
      yourself.

      Here are some nice things you can do for people:

      Compliment people about the way they're dressed.
      Send a gift to someone. Gifts are expected at birthdays and
      Christmas, so you can surprise that person by sending a gift at a
      different time of the year. Send the person a box of candy or a CD
      you've enjoyed. Enclose a card to say that you were thinking of that
      person. If you take your lunch to work, bring an extra side dish,
      such as an individual serving of applesauce. Offer it to someone
      during lunch. If that person genuinely likes the applesauce, buy a
      six-pack of it, and give it to that person as a present.
      Send a thank-you card to one of your former teachers. Tell the
      teacher how much you enjoyed the class, and tell the teacher what
      you liked about him or her. Visualize how happy the teacher will be
      when he or she reads your card.
      If there's someone who makes you unhappy, think about that person's
      good qualities. Send a card to tell that person what you admire
      about him or her. That card will be a complete surprise, and it will
      make that person feel good.
      Send a card to your barber to say how much you like your haircuts.
      Write a letter to a high-school friend you haven't seen in a long
      time. Tell that person how much you enjoyed his or her friendship.
      Tell that person that he or she made your life happier and that
      you're glad you have met them.
      If you had an argument with someone, apologize to that person.
      Humble yourself and take the blame for the argument. This can be a
      difficult thing to do, but when you elevate the other person, you'll
      feel incredibly good about yourself. This will show you that you
      have a strong character, and it will prove to you that you're
      worthwhile. If you don't feel comfortable talking to that person,
      send a letter. Don't avoid people who make you unhappy. Think of
      ways to be nice to them. It's easy to be nice to your friends, but
      you'll get a wonderful feeling when you're nice to someone who isn't
      your friend.
      When you take a walk, smile and say "hi" to the people you pass.
      It's often unexpected, and it will make them feel good. Especially
      say "hi" to children. Adults sometimes ignore children when they
      pass them, but saying "hi" will make the children feel special.
      Visit someone in the hospital. You're expected to visit family and
      friends, but it's nice when you visit someone you don't know very
      well. It will be unexpected, and it will make that person feel good.
      Ask that person whether there's anything you can bring to him or
      her.
      Tell yourself that you don't have time for depression. It's
      unproductive, and it wastes time.

      Take a good look at yourself to find the qualities you don't like.
      Find ways to improve, and practice every day. Develop a good
      reputation. Be kind to everyone, including those who aren't kind to
      you.

      Keep doing nice things for people, day after day. Don't stop. Take
      the focus off of your life. Focus on ways to make their lives better.

      It's important to have a purpose in life. You need something that
      gives you the desire to get through each day. You could start a
      project that you'd work on every day. Do something that takes all of
      your energy.

      Remember: Don't give in to depression. Fight back!
    • phillipetaylor
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2006
        I agree, there is no reason we need to sit a sulk in depression or
        any negative emotion!

        When mystery traditions speak of negative emotions as being
        problematic, such as anger, hatred or lust, it is often heard as
        though the person who feels these things is bad or that something is
        wrong with a person for feeling or experiencing a negative thought or
        emotion. But for most traditions, I don't believe this is the
        case. A mystery tradition is merely saying that the emotion, or
        thought is problematic, and it is good to notice the problematic
        quality of these thoughts and emotions, so that we can enact the
        practices and strategies given to generate those experiences in
        consciousness that facilitate a more enlightened experience and is
        more pleasurable and makes our lives happier and more rewarding.

        Each seems to behave a certain way in consciousness, as though they
        can be personified.

        If we were to think of our mind as our home, and the thoughts and
        emotions that move through it as house guests, perhaps this will
        enable us to sort out which emotions and thoughts are the better,
        more fun and interesting house guests. Some house guests are
        entertaining and fun, but demand a lot of our attention, and aren't
        concerned with what time we have to get up in the morning for work,
        whether we have chores to do or not, but always want to have fun and
        draw us away from those things that help make our lives practically
        function. Lust and sloth are emotions that are akin to such house
        guests, concerned only with their version of a good time, they can be
        fun to hang out with, but are demanding of our attention, they ignore
        our requests to go away and give us reprieve when we need a break and
        care nothing for our responsibilities, usually making a mess of our
        home and giving no opportunity to clean it up.

        Anger, hatred and jealousy are akin to house guests who demand our
        attention constantly, command us constantly to get things for them
        and do things for them, ignore any request we might have and push
        away any needs we might have and never give us an opportunity to get
        a word in edgewise. They demand service as though your home is an
        expensive hotel.

        Greed is akin to that house guest who wants to be constantly served,
        but pretends to be a nice house guest and pretends to be looking out
        for your interests by doing so. Greed wants to tell you that he's
        really helping you "look out for your investment" when you clean his
        room to his liking, and helping you "get better at cooking," by
        preparing his meals exactly the way he likes and so on and so forth.
        Greed is very much like Anger, Hatred and Jealousy, when you get down
        to it, though he convinces you he is serving you. Meanwhile you're
        to too busy serving him to get your own work done.

        Depression is the worst. Depression is that house guest who comes
        over and takes control. You don't run your house right, so
        Depression is taking over for as long as it wants, perhaps forever.
        You will do what it commands, and there is NO NEGOTIATION.

        Notice also how polite the house guests Joy, Peace and Love are.
        They are a pleasure to be around, they listen when you speak, and are
        excellent conversationalists themselves, always having something
        interesting and insightful to say. Not only do they allow you to do
        your work, but they will often help you with it and make your work
        more enjoyable by doing so. They leave when asked to, and come over
        when invited, always bringing gifts.

        But Anger, Hatred, Jealousy, Greed, Lust and Depression are demanding
        house-guests who beat up and often kick these wonderful house-guests
        out of OUR house, as though it were their house, and then commence to
        take possession of our home, our minds, as though they are entitled
        to it, treating our minds like a cheap motel.

        The situation is quite ludicrous, that we would allow house guests to
        behave so much like cretins as these negative emotions do and put up
        with it for very long without tossing them out on their ears, but
        when we personify negativity in this way, we can see how often we
        allow such house guests to take possession of the home of our minds
        and keep company with strange and demanding creatures.

        With this metaphor we can consider the process of purifying our minds
        from a non-judgmental perspective and realize that a person who feels
        a thing is no more being judged than the home owner with a difficult
        house-guest. We would merely remind, it IS YOUR HOME and you can
        call the police any time you want (invoke the Christ-Presence).