Re: [Gnosticism2] I feel depression may be about 'spiritual attack'

  • Nick Lawrance
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2005
      From angelanjones
      I was told this a while ago, & there are times that I feel 'trapped' by
      a life where Negatives always over ride & out do the positives. I know
      Buddhists do a meditation to 'balance the positive with the negative.

      Why would my life be dogged by negatives, I am very afraid of this as
      it stops any chance of happiness for me. I need to be released from
      this & I am not 'sinful'
      Perhaps prayers effect this???

      What are your views?

      Happiness and unhappiness are two sides of the same coin, you can't have one without the other. The Buddha recognised even our experiences of happiness could not hide the fact that mortal life is filled with suffering and death that's why he seeked an existence that was free from it. Yet even suffering can have a redemptive role, remember Jesus story of the 'Prodigal Son' who decides to leave his fathers home but then decides to return due to his suffering and only then recognises fully what he had lost. Perhaps the only way your inner self can intrude on your conscious self is by a measure of suffering.

      (69) Jesus said, "Blessed are they who have been persecuted within
      themselves. It is they who have truly come to know the father. Blessed are
      the hungry, for the belly of him who desires will be filled."
      (Gospel of Thomas)

      Nick

    • John Franks
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2005
        Depression is not something you can just "snap out of." It's caused by
        an imbalance of brain chemicals, along with other factors. Like any
        serious medical condition, depression needs to be treated.

        Depression can make you feel hopeless and helpless. But just taking
        the first step—deciding to get treatment—can make all the difference.

        Even after you've learned that you have depression and sought
        treatment for it, you won't feel better right away. Depression can be
        frustrating, because recovering from it takes time.
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 2005
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "angelanjones2003"
          <angelanjones2003@y...> wrote:

          > I was told this a while ago, & there are times that I
          feel 'trapped' by
          > a life where Negatives always over ride & out do the positives. I
          know
          > Buddhists do a meditation to 'balance the positive with the
          negative.

          > Why would my life be dogged by negatives, I am very afraid of this
          as
          > it stops any chance of happiness for me. I need to be released from
          > this & I am not 'sinful'
          > Perhaps prayers effect this???
          >
          > What are your views?

          angelanjones, we've had some good commentary and suggestions from
          members, which you can ponder and apply as needed according to your
          particular situation.

          In past years in our forum, we have discussed the difference between
          worldview and outlook.

          The ancient Gnostics viewed our world as flawed. We see varying
          degrees of imperfection described in various literature,... from
          spiritual sparks being trapped in a material prison of our world to a
          more positive view of creation as a tool aiding the maturing spirit.
          Yet, an ongoing depressive state need not be a given. Hope and love
          and "resurrection" in this lifetime were very important to the
          Gnostics, and Gnosis was salvific.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 2005
            Angela

            >>>I was told this a while ago, & there are times that I
            feel 'trapped' by a life where Negatives always over ride & out do the
            positives. I know Buddhists do a meditation to 'balance the positive
            with the negative.

            Why would my life be dogged by negatives, I am very afraid of this as
            it stops any chance of happiness for me. I need to be released from
            this & I am not 'sinful' Perhaps prayers effect this???<<<<

            What is it that made you curious to ask this particular question on a
            Gnostic forum? What I mean is, is there anything specific in
            Gnosticism that made you feel like there could be some answer to this
            problem in it?

            PMCV
          • angela jones
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 13, 2005

              What are your views?

              (69) Jesus said, "Blessed are they who have been persecuted within
              themselves. It is they who have truly come to know the father. Blessed are
              the hungry, for the belly of him who desires will be filled."
              (Gospel of Thomas)

              Nick

              Nick Thanx for your very interesting reply, lovely to know that Jesus said that I will be blessed & have come to truly know the father.

              I know chemical imbalances can be a cause of depression, but yr answer was one, that was more relevant than the 'scientific' point of view.
              Sometimes I need spiritual guidance much more than 'Anti-depressants!'
              I feel a lot better today, more communication has come into my life in a positive way. That is nice, plus God is somehow leading me through this valley of the shadow.

              Blessings to you & yours
              In Yeshu's name!

              Anj

              Yahoo! Shopping
            • angela jones
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 13, 2005
                A lot of my depressions are about feeling dominated by stronger personalities, my half sister has become highly successful & so she has quite a cold stern attitude, I find it really upsetting.

                Anj

                Yahoo! Shopping