I feel depression may be about 'spiritual attack'

  • angelanjones2003
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2005
      I was told this a while ago, & there are times that I feel 'trapped' by
      a life where Negatives always over ride & out do the positives. I know
      Buddhists do a meditation to 'balance the positive with the negative.

      Why would my life be dogged by negatives, I am very afraid of this as
      it stops any chance of happiness for me. I need to be released from
      this & I am not 'sinful'
      Perhaps prayers effect this???

      What are your views?
    • Bob Hope
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2005
        Depression and be brought on by either a neurochemical
        imbalance (organic cause) or a mental state.
        If your symptoms continue for longer than a month, as
        a pharmacist, I would urge you to see your physician.

        That being said, a dperessive state brought on by
        "normal" (e.g. death in the family, mounting financial
        issues) causes can be relieved by a change in outlook.
        Part of the Gnostic experience that I believe in is
        that your thoughts influence your actions and health.
        If you can believe your self to be happy, then you
        will be.
        Some good tips I have heard in the past are:
        1. Take a pro/con inventory of your life. See if the
        pros don't outnumber the cons.
        2. Remember that everyone in the world has a part of
        that mystery we call "God" in us (spirit). Meditate
        and reflect on the fact that part of you is immortal
        and part of the pleroma.
        3. Thinking of my kids always helps me. It allows me
        to put life into perspective through love. Use
        whatever part of your life gives you the most love.

        Hope this helps!
        Bob

        --- angelanjones2003 <angelanjones2003@...>
        wrote:

        > I was told this a while ago, & there are times that
        > I feel 'trapped' by
        > a life where Negatives always over ride & out do the
        > positives. I know
        > Buddhists do a meditation to 'balance the positive
        > with the negative.
        >
        > Why would my life be dogged by negatives, I am very
        > afraid of this as
        > it stops any chance of happiness for me. I need to
        > be released from
        > this & I am not 'sinful'
        > Perhaps prayers effect this???
        >
        > What are your views?

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Nick Lawrance
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 6, 2005
          From angelanjones
          I was told this a while ago, & there are times that I feel 'trapped' by
          a life where Negatives always over ride & out do the positives. I know
          Buddhists do a meditation to 'balance the positive with the negative.

          Why would my life be dogged by negatives, I am very afraid of this as
          it stops any chance of happiness for me. I need to be released from
          this & I am not 'sinful'
          Perhaps prayers effect this???

          What are your views?

          Happiness and unhappiness are two sides of the same coin, you can't have one without the other. The Buddha recognised even our experiences of happiness could not hide the fact that mortal life is filled with suffering and death that's why he seeked an existence that was free from it. Yet even suffering can have a redemptive role, remember Jesus story of the 'Prodigal Son' who decides to leave his fathers home but then decides to return due to his suffering and only then recognises fully what he had lost. Perhaps the only way your inner self can intrude on your conscious self is by a measure of suffering.

          (69) Jesus said, "Blessed are they who have been persecuted within
          themselves. It is they who have truly come to know the father. Blessed are
          the hungry, for the belly of him who desires will be filled."
          (Gospel of Thomas)

          Nick

        • John Franks
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 6, 2005
            Depression is not something you can just "snap out of." It's caused by
            an imbalance of brain chemicals, along with other factors. Like any
            serious medical condition, depression needs to be treated.

            Depression can make you feel hopeless and helpless. But just taking
            the first step—deciding to get treatment—can make all the difference.

            Even after you've learned that you have depression and sought
            treatment for it, you won't feel better right away. Depression can be
            frustrating, because recovering from it takes time.
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 2005
              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "angelanjones2003"
              <angelanjones2003@y...> wrote:

              > I was told this a while ago, & there are times that I
              feel 'trapped' by
              > a life where Negatives always over ride & out do the positives. I
              know
              > Buddhists do a meditation to 'balance the positive with the
              negative.

              > Why would my life be dogged by negatives, I am very afraid of this
              as
              > it stops any chance of happiness for me. I need to be released from
              > this & I am not 'sinful'
              > Perhaps prayers effect this???
              >
              > What are your views?

              angelanjones, we've had some good commentary and suggestions from
              members, which you can ponder and apply as needed according to your
              particular situation.

              In past years in our forum, we have discussed the difference between
              worldview and outlook.

              The ancient Gnostics viewed our world as flawed. We see varying
              degrees of imperfection described in various literature,... from
              spiritual sparks being trapped in a material prison of our world to a
              more positive view of creation as a tool aiding the maturing spirit.
              Yet, an ongoing depressive state need not be a given. Hope and love
              and "resurrection" in this lifetime were very important to the
              Gnostics, and Gnosis was salvific.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 7, 2005
                Angela

                >>>I was told this a while ago, & there are times that I
                feel 'trapped' by a life where Negatives always over ride & out do the
                positives. I know Buddhists do a meditation to 'balance the positive
                with the negative.

                Why would my life be dogged by negatives, I am very afraid of this as
                it stops any chance of happiness for me. I need to be released from
                this & I am not 'sinful' Perhaps prayers effect this???<<<<

                What is it that made you curious to ask this particular question on a
                Gnostic forum? What I mean is, is there anything specific in
                Gnosticism that made you feel like there could be some answer to this
                problem in it?

                PMCV
              • angela jones
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 13, 2005

                  What are your views?

                  (69) Jesus said, "Blessed are they who have been persecuted within
                  themselves. It is they who have truly come to know the father. Blessed are
                  the hungry, for the belly of him who desires will be filled."
                  (Gospel of Thomas)

                  Nick

                  Nick Thanx for your very interesting reply, lovely to know that Jesus said that I will be blessed & have come to truly know the father.

                  I know chemical imbalances can be a cause of depression, but yr answer was one, that was more relevant than the 'scientific' point of view.
                  Sometimes I need spiritual guidance much more than 'Anti-depressants!'
                  I feel a lot better today, more communication has come into my life in a positive way. That is nice, plus God is somehow leading me through this valley of the shadow.

                  Blessings to you & yours
                  In Yeshu's name!

                  Anj

                  Yahoo! Shopping
                • angela jones
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 13, 2005
                    A lot of my depressions are about feeling dominated by stronger personalities, my half sister has become highly successful & so she has quite a cold stern attitude, I find it really upsetting.

                    Anj

                    Yahoo! Shopping