Thanks for the clarfications

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2005
      Hello,

      I want to thank those that responded to my questions. I very much
      appreciate it.

      In regards to some of the books I have read...

      The Gnostic Gospels by Pagels was my first book - I read it quite
      some time ago, also the newest version/translation of the Gospel of
      Mary Magdalene (Leloup) and a few of the other texts included in
      various compendiums of texts such as "the Gnostic Bible" (Barnstone)
      and "the Other Bible" (again edited by Barnstone). I'm also working
      through some of the newer books by Tau Malachi such as the Gnosis of
      the Cosmic Christ, but am having some difficulty getting through it
      as I am not all too familiar with the Kabbalah which it references
      quite a bit. It's not too much and I admit it - I'm just kind of
      getting my feet wet. I've also read a bit about the Cathars -
      nothing too extensive - just one book called "The Perfect Heresy :
      The Revolutionary Life and Spectacular Death of the Medieval
      Cathars" by O'Shea.

      I appreciate the clarification on the Cathars - they did share some
      beliefs with the Gnostics, but were not necessarily Gnostics
      themselves. I am, however, interested in learning more about the
      Cathars. Can anyone recommend any good texts or resources? I will
      definitely get to the link that was provided after I am finished
      with this posting. Perhaps I will have more questions then. Are
      there individuals who still practice this form of Spirituality on
      this forum?

      Thanks again to those who helped clarify some of the information for
      me.

      Michael
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hey Michael

        >>>The Gnostic Gospels by Pagels was my first book - I read it quite
        some time ago, also the newest version/translation of the Gospel of
        Mary Magdalene (Leloup) and a few of the other texts included in
        various compendiums of texts such as "the Gnostic Bible" (Barnstone)
        and "the Other Bible" (again edited by Barnstone).<<<

        Well, then you have already read more than many here.

        >>I'm also working through some of the newer books by Tau Malachi
        such as the Gnosis of the Cosmic Christ, but am having some
        difficulty getting through it as I am not all too familiar with the
        Kabbalah which it references quite a bit.<<<

        As with the Cathars, Kabbalah does not technically fit the category
        of "Gnosticism". However, it does have many interesting
        intersections with Gnosticism so that it is often something that
        people who are into Gnosticism find useful. Unfortunately, there are
        so few books out there on the subject that are up to date with new
        discoveries.

        >>>I appreciate the clarification on the Cathars - they did share
        some beliefs with the Gnostics, but were not necessarily Gnostics
        themselves. I am, however, interested in learning more about the
        Cathars. Can anyone recommend any good texts or resources?<<<

        Well, honestly I can't help much there, so I hope others here may be
        able to. I do know a little bit about them, the basics of their
        beliefs and practice, and a bit more about thier historical
        backdrop... but I didn't really keep any of my books on the subject
        and I can't seem to recall which ones I have read. You may find it
        interesting to know that Kabbalah found it's primary historical
        flowering right next to the Cathars... so there seems to have been a
        lot of spiritual exploration going on at the time.

        >>Are there individuals who still practice this form of Spirituality
        on this forum?<<

        Still practice the Cathar faith? Recreating it, do you mean?

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
          Hello pmcvflag

          On 12/02/05, you wrote:

          >>> Are there individuals who still practice this form of Spirituality
          > on this forum?<<
          >
          > Still practice the Cathar faith? Recreating it, do you mean?
          >
          > PMCV

          One old man told Stephan Hoeller's ex-wife, "I am cathar, my family is
          cathar, and will always be cathar." This was in the Provance, BTW.
          She said others told her the same thing. Interesting, to say the
          least. I would bet it was on a rather primitive level of knowledge,
          if not practice, but apparently the sentiment is still there.

          Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s