Several questions

  • pege41
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2005
      Hi, I never post, and this is more of a question my mother ask and no
      one can answer, not even her Pastor, so I said I would ask the question
      here and hopefully some one could answer.
      I hope ya'll don't mind.

      Job in the bible.

      After God and the Devil made their agreement between them selves, How
      long did Job suffer?

      In the Bible it mentions quite a few living to be hundreds of years
      old, Is this truly accurate?
      I thought I read somehow that Biblical years were not the same as we
      think of our years now.

      Thanks
      Pam
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2005
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pege41 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > Hi, I never post, and this is more of a question my mother ask and
        no
        > one can answer, not even her Pastor, so I said I would ask the
        question
        > here and hopefully some one could answer.
        > I hope ya'll don't mind.
        >
        > Job in the bible.
        >
        > After God and the Devil made their agreement between them selves,
        How
        > long did Job suffer?
        >

        > In the Bible it mentions quite a few living to be hundreds of years
        > old, Is this truly accurate?
        > I thought I read somehow that Biblical years were not the same as
        we
        > think of our years now.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Pam

        Hi, Pam. I surely can't help you as far as your question about Job.
        And I'm not sure if any Christian websites have entertained this
        specific question.

        However, regarding longevity in Biblical times, here's a passage
        from "Wikipedia":

        "Reaching an old age has fascinated people for ages. The Bible
        contains many accounts of long-lived humans, with Methuselah living
        to be 969 years old (Genesis 5:27). Today some maintain that the
        unusually high longevity of Biblical patriarchs are the result of an
        error in translation: lunar cycles were mistaken for the solar ones,
        and the actual ages are 13.5 times less. This gives 72 years for
        Methuselah, which is still an impressive number, bearing in mind the
        life expectancy of these times. This rationalization, however, seems
        doubtful too since patriarchs such as Mahalalel (ibid 5:15) and Enoch
        (ibid 5:21) were said to have become fathers after 65 "years". If the
        lunar cycle claim were accepted this would translate to an age of
        about 4 years and 10 months. One Christian apologist claim is that
        the life span of humans has changed; that originally man was to have
        everlasting life, but due to man's sin, God progressively shortened
        man's life in the "four falls of mankind" -- first to less than 1000
        years, then to under 500, 200, and eventually 120 years. However,
        skeptics and atheists tend to consider such stories to be among the
        longevity myths, noting that age exaggeration tends to be greater
        in "mythical" periods in many cultures; the early emperors of Japan
        or China often ruled for more than a century, according to tradition.
        With the advent of record-keeping, age claims fell to realistic
        levels; even in the Bible we see King David, aged 70 years; other
        kings were in their 30s, 40s, and 50s."

        [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longevity ]

        Cari
      • j.j.salt
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2005
          Warm Greetings, All,

          I wish to offer my apologies for having been largely absent from the group exchanges lately.  I have been following the discussions with avid interest, but events in my life have kind of taken over for now.  After having been out of work since last July, I have finally found a job, but it means relocating.  So it has been rather busy around here lately, and the forecast for the next couple of weeks is a near 100% chance of heavy busy-ness, with periods of exhaustion alternating with complete insanity.  Up until now, I have managed to keep up with reading the posts here, although that is likely to end soon.  I am hoping to maintain this e-mail address, so I should continue to have access to the group, so I hope to become more active after the next couple of weeks.

          Although I have moved more often than I would prefer in recent years, the present job opportunity, my future home, and my new town of residence all seem to me to represent a positive change, and I am excited about the new opportunities, when I can get past the dread of the immediate tasks at hand.

          I look forward to engaging in the discussion here from a new locale.

          In Unity,
          Durak, aka j.j.salt

        • j.j.salt

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 15, 2005
              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "j.j.salt" <jj_salt@y...> wrote:

              > Warm Greetings, All,
              >
              > I wish to offer my apologies for having been largely absent
              from the group exchanges lately. I have been following the
              discussions with avid interest, but events in my life have kind of
              taken over for now. After having been out of work since last July, I
              have finally found a job, but it means relocating. So it has been
              rather busy around here lately, and the forecast for the next couple
              of weeks is a near 100% chance of heavy busy-ness, with periods of
              exhaustion alternating with complete insanity. Up until now, I have
              managed to keep up with reading the posts here, although that is
              likely to end soon. I am hoping to maintain this e-mail address, so
              I should continue to have access to the group, so I hope to become
              more active after the next couple of weeks.

              > Although I have moved more often than I would prefer in recent
              years, the present job opportunity, my future home, and my new town
              of residence all seem to me to represent a positive change, and I am
              excited about the new opportunities, when I can get past the dread of
              the immediate tasks at hand.

              > I look forward to engaging in the discussion here from a new
              locale.

              > In Unity,
              > Durak, aka j.j.salt

              Hello, Durak. Thank you for your nice letter(s). ;-) But there is
              no need to apologize. We're fairly flexible around here. I made
              PMCV and Gerry throw out the time clock a while back. It was toooo
              difficult keeping track of all those timecards. (Just kidding, guys!)

              I'm delighted to hear things are going so well for you, even though
              transitions like yours can be quite hectic. With your upbeat
              outlook, I'm sure you'll weather the next couple weeks just fine.

              See you when we see you,