Re: do we ?

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hey Julie

      Scholars do not include Zoroastrians to be a form of "Gnosticism".
      The Zoroastrians did not consider themselves to be Gnostics
      either... so I am not sure what the value would be in calling them
      by that name. I understand that many people expand the
      term "Gnostic" quite a bit, but I am not sure what the purpose of
      doing so is. In this group we keep the term pretty tight.

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Julie ........N" <jn1947@y...>
      wrote:

      > do we consider the parsis to be gnostic in nature - - parsis being
      the last remnant of zorastrians - - or at least the last remnant
      that i know of

      > = = = = = = = = = = =
      >
      > * * * * "I believe because it is impossible" (tertullian)
      **** "for i am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ ; for it is the
      power of God unto salvation" (romans 1:16) * * * *

    • bakn4
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "doubtfull_one"
        <doubtfull_one@y...> wrote:

        > Hello, I was wondering if anyone is aware of any written gnostic
        > texts that discuss in prophecy or otherwise mention the "end of
        time".
        > If so, could you point me in the right direction to do the reading.
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Lincoln

        Hi Lincoln and hello to all

        Master sameal aun woer writes about this time in his book the three
        mountains, and I'm sure I've heard that there is a date mentioned in
        the pistis sophia,but I haven't checked this out.
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
          Hello Bakn4

          >>>Master sameal aun woer writes about this time in his book the three
          mountains, and I'm sure I've heard that there is a date mentioned in
          the pistis sophia,but I haven't checked this out.<<<

          I don't recall this in the Pistis Sophia, but it has been some time
          since I read it. It would seem out of place considering the other
          teachings in the book.

          As for Samael.... this group deals only with Gnosticism, and Samael
          does not technically fit that category. In other words, he is off
          topic here.

          PMCV
        • Lincoln S.
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 5, 2005

            > In Ptolemy's Version of the Gnostic Myth, there is mention
            that "the
            > fire that lurks within the world will flare up, catch fire,
            overcome
            > all matter, be consumed along with it, and enter into definitive
            > nonexistence." Bentley Layton notes in his book, _The Gnostic
            > Scriptures," p. 295:
            > "f. The idea of a fire that lurks within the world and in due
            time
            > will flare up and consume the world was a well-known part of
            ancient
            > physics, as taught by the Stoic school. But the belief that the
            > world will then `enter into definitive nonexistence' is not a part
            of
            > the Stoic physics."
            >
            > Perhaps other members might have additional information.
            >
            > Cari

            Please, if anyone knows more about the "fire that lurks within the
            world" and/or the teachings of the Stoic school in this regard I am
            very interested. Thanks.

            Lincoln
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 7, 2005
              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Lincoln S." <doubtfull_one@y...>
              wrote:

              > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@y...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > In Ptolemy's Version of the Gnostic Myth, there is mention
              > that "the
              > > fire that lurks within the world will flare up, catch fire,
              > overcome
              > > all matter, be consumed along with it, and enter into definitive
              > > nonexistence." Bentley Layton notes in his book, _The Gnostic
              > > Scriptures," p. 295:
              > > "f. The idea of a fire that lurks within the world and in due
              > time
              > > will flare up and consume the world was a well-known part of
              > ancient
              > > physics, as taught by the Stoic school. But the belief that the
              > > world will then `enter into definitive nonexistence' is not a
              part
              > of
              > > the Stoic physics."
              > >
              > > Perhaps other members might have additional information.
              > >
              > > Cari
              > >

              > Please, if anyone knows more about the "fire that lurks within the
              > world" and/or the teachings of the Stoic school in this regard I am
              > very interested. Thanks.
              >
              > Lincoln

              Lincoln, I can give you a link explaining a bit more about Stoic
              physics:
              http://www.iep.utm.edu/s/stoicism.htm#H3

              Please keep in mind though that the Stoics were materialists, which
              the Gnostics definitely were *NOT*. The Stoics believed in
              successive cycles of this fiery destruction and recovery, whereas
              Bentley Layton's footnote describes a conflagration of the world into
              NONexistence (according to Irenaeus's summary of Ptolemy's Version of
              the Gnostic Myth).

              I'm curious Lincoln as to the background for your interest in end
              time matters?

              Cari
            • Ben
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
                Here's something I worte to another group:

                I thought Kaplan used past and future for Kether and Malkuth.....its
                been a while...
                but um there are 7 directions...... forward backward..left right up
                down and within.....

                7 days. of creation...7 stages of alchemy (visita interiora terrae
                rectificando invenies occultum lapidem)..7 spheres before the
                supernal triangle....etc.....

                Now kaplan also discusses Oroboros..does he not....
                the end is the beginning is the end.....

                he states 2 polar opposites...lets say kether and malkuth.....lets
                call them past(kether) future(malkuth).....now if these were 2
                imaginary points...polar opposites..that stretch out for infinity in
                opposite dirtections...kaplan states they reach a point of
                infinity...and eventually come back upon them selves...and meet..
                (this is modern maths.....pardon my ignorance I'm just saying what
                kaplan said).....thus the end is the beginning is the end......Indeed
                some forms of kabbalah teach that kether is closer to malkuth than it
                is to chockmah.......

                this fits in nicely with many ideas such a hindu and buddhist thought
                that states the end is indeed the beginning.....we can also see this
                in western esoteric thought....the divine trinity of creation
                destruction and redemtion.....which is the same as the Rosicrucian
                trinity of
                "Ex Deo nascimur.

                In Jesu Morimur

                Per Spiritum Sanctum reviviscimus."

                We are born in God...we die in Christ and are reborn in the Holy
                SPirit.......

                so creation destruction redemption is again much like the kabbalist
                (and many others) idea of a return to a better state.....the end is
                the beginning is the end....

                this also fits in with 1 modern alternative to the standard big bang
                idea that states such as I have said
                above....creation....destruction...creation...an endless cycle....

                No one had raised this point...so I thought I would....

                --Ben

                Well....here are some thoughts....

                Many people like to see the tree as Linear.....as you say from A to T
                or O to Z or whatever.....I think this is wrong....
                Clearly if we look at Phi or the image of Oroboros we see that things
                are not linear...indeed one modern magician/kabbalist states time is
                a spiral and this explains why "distant past" is closer to the
                present than the future.....and thus this is why it is "easy" to
                contact the distant past in meditation/magic etc (sadly you really
                need to see the diagram to conceive of this
                fully...probably).....many kabbalaists also assert that the tree is
                not linear....

                How does this relate to kabbalah?.....well the tree can be seen in
                many ways....the standard linear model familiar to us......the
                Lurianic "modern" tree and the "hermetic tree" are but one way to
                picture the tree....as you probably know.....I even have a diagram of
                the tree as a 5 pointed star at home.....but anyway...in Judaic
                kabbalah the tree has been shown as 1 big circle with concentric
                circles within it......so we have one big circle with lesser circles
                within it.....

                Now on another post someone mentioned the fractal nature of the
                tree......so the tree is not 2d.....frankly is a sphere 2
                dimensional? no...the plan is 2d(due to the limitation of the printed
                page)....but in reality the tree is not flat.....so what if we
                picture the tree as one sphere......one coherant sphere ....then like
                a fractal within the sphere we have the standard lurianic or hermetic
                trees......much like a fractal...zooming in for greater detail...and
                then of course each of the 10 within the original 1 can be zoomed in
                upon.....

                Now what does this have to do with the beginning is the end is the
                beginning? Well a sphere and a circle have no end........and no
                beginning...they just are.....much like the earth is not
                flat.......its a sphere...if it had an end we'd fall off (forgetting
                gravity etc for a second)........

                Now in Christian Kabbalah at least (I know this isnt valid for all
                forms) the tree is seen as an imperfect tree

                (the kircher tree... http://www.digital-
                brilliance.com/kab/kircher.gif the blanced pre fall tree is the Gra
                tree http://www.tarot.org.il/Images/GRA_ToL.png )

                the tree after the falll.....originally malkuth was where daath was
                (ending our YHVH quaterinty of kether chockmah and binah...flame oil
                lamp...illumined)thus the "great work" is to make malkuth go back to
                where it originally was.....daath....

                but essentially thats what I meant by creation destruction
                redemption.....

                eden...(creation) perfect state.........the fall (where we are
                now..some would argue we are still falling)....redemptiona climg back
                out of the fall back to eden.......thus the end is the beginning is
                the end...

                from womb to tomb to womb....

                --
                He who knows both knowledge and ignorance together, crosses death
                through ignorance and attains immortality through knowledge.