Re: Limited reading, have questions

    Message 1 of 82 , Oct 20, 2005
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "j.j.salt" <jj_salt@y...> wrote:

      One concept that I have found intriguing, and about which I cannot
      seem to find any real information, is the concept of "emanation."
      Specifically, all the aeons, including the "lower" ones (there's
      probably a better word for it, but it's not coming to mind) resulted
      from "emanations" from the Unknowable. I have a vague, intuitive
      sense of how "emanation" might be different from "creation," but I'm
      wondering what the classical statements on this issue might have
      been. If you happen to know anything about this particular concept,
      I'd love to hear it.

      > j.j.salt

      Hello, j.j.

      Thank you for your wonderful introduction. Before PMCV pops back in
      with his thoughts, I'll leave a link about emanation that might be
      useful for starters:

      http://www.iep.utm.edu/e/emanatio.htm

      Message 82 of 82 , Oct 27, 2005
        Hey David

        >>>wow, your questions really sparked some thought in my head, I
        need to ask ya first. Did Early "Gnostics" really think and speak in
        allegorical terms? Cause if so that may answer a lot but only open
        more questions to debate. very good questions at that.<<<

        Thanks, glad you liked the questions :) As Lady Cari states, there
        is evidence in the original Gnostic writings for allegorical
        hermeneutic. Part of the point I was trying to bring up was exactly
        where this should be applied. In other words... Philip, the
        Tripartite Tractate, and other texts state directly that there is
        allegory (so there is no question on that front), but exactly where
        and how it is applied is very open to discussion.

        In this particular case, I was asking if you think that that
        allegory extends to the notion of the Demiurge or not. Let me also
        point out that the idea that something may literally be true does
        not exclude the notion that it may have also been allegorical in
        meaning. So.... where do you think this all fit in the original
        intent of the Gnostic texts?