Re: what is an "Anti-Cosmic Dualism?" (Hermes)

    Message 1 of 36 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hey Mike

      >>>Wasn't the emerald tablet known before the Renisance rediscovery of
      the Hermetic texts, and cited by earlier Alchemists? If so, that
      could lead to the idea it was more ancient. The Sephir Yedzirah was
      out there long before the Zohar, for instance.<<<

      If I recall, the oldest version of the "Emerald Tablet" is from around
      the 800s (AD), in Arabic. I think there were translations from the
      1200s in medieval Europe, and certainly there have been people who
      thought these texts were very old. I am not sure exactly where the
      discovery era presents any genuine reasoning for an older date for the
      text, but of course even though the notion is not relavant in modern
      thinking it could have been part of the reasoning for people at the
      time. I can't say for sure. However, if you think about it from the
      Renaissance rational, Hermes was a real person from the time of Moses,
      which means that all hermetic writings that were valid came from this
      historical person. So even then some texts would not have predated the
      others.

      It is true, the Sefer Yetzirah predates the Zohar.... but it is also
      from a different tradition than the Zohar. So, this could be more like
      comparing pre-Hermetic ideas of "Hermes" with those of the Corpus
      Hermetica. Yes, they predate them, but they also tell us a limited
      amount about them.

      So, you could have a point there... the mere fact that the texts were
      more popular and known before the Corpus Hermetica were rediscovered
      could have lead some thinkers to the idea that they were older.
      However, I am not sure exactly where this thinking would have come
      from... all things considered.

      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 2, 2005
        Hello pmcvflag

        On 10/02/05, you wrote:

        > Hey Mike

        > the Hermetic texts, and cited by earlier Alchemists? If so, that
        > could lead to the idea it was more ancient. The Sephir Yedzirah was
        > out there long before the Zohar, for instance.<<<
        >
        > If I recall, the oldest version of the "Emerald Tablet" is from
        > around the 800s (AD), in Arabic. I think there were translations
        > from the 1200s in medieval Europe, and certainly there have been
        > people who thought these texts were very old. I am not sure exactly
        > where the discovery era presents any genuine reasoning for an older
        > date for the text, but of course even though the notion is not
        > relavant in modern thinking it could have been part of the reasoning
        > for people at the time. I can't say for sure. However, if you think
        > about it from the Renaissance rational, Hermes was a real person
        > from the time of Moses, which means that all hermetic writings that
        > were valid came from this historical person. So even then some texts
        > would not have predated the others.
        >
        > It is true, the Sefer Yetzirah predates the Zohar.... but it is also
        > from a different tradition than the Zohar. So, this could be more
        > like comparing pre-Hermetic ideas of "Hermes" with those of the
        > Corpus Hermetica. Yes, they predate them, but they also tell us a
        > limited amount about them.
        >
        > So, you could have a point there... the mere fact that the texts
        > were more popular and known before the Corpus Hermetica were
        > rediscovered could have lead some thinkers to the idea that they
        > were older. However, I am not sure exactly where this thinking would
        > have come from... all things considered.
        >
        > PMCV

        Actuallly literal acceptance of authorship and age was quite common.

        Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s