Re: Sophia/Logos

  • janahooks
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 25, 2005
      Gerry...

      I still think
      > that what would be of utmost use to people studying these texts is a
      > concordance, but what an undertaking *that* would be!

      When do you think you'll have that ready for us, ye of many jobs? ;)
      I've always thought Strong's (?) concordance was aptly named. Yours
      would be....?
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 5, 2005
        Hello Gerry

        On 10/05/05, you wrote:

        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@y...>
        > wrote:
        >>
        >> When do you think you'll have that ready for us, ye of many jobs?
        >> ;)
        >

        > How 'bout I start with the "Fragments" of Codex XII . . . and have
        > that ready by . . . say . . . early next year? How long do you
        > s'pose the compilation would take at that rate of installments? ;-)
        >

        >> I've always thought Strong's (?) concordance was aptly named.
        >> Yours would be....?
        >

        > Well, I really hate the thought of it turning out like the dry
        > reading of a mere lexical database, so I kinda had in mind that it
        > would be named something like _The *Illustrated* Concordance of
        > Gnostic Texts_. I don't think that's been done before. ;-)
        >
        > Of course, as we can see by recent discussions here, there are major
        > obstacles to be overcome before any such project could be
        > undertaken. Would we prefer this tool to aid with the entire Nag
        > Hammadi collection, or should it focus only on "Gnostic" texts
        > (excluding some works in the NHL and including others from
        > elsewhere)? Either way, we should choose one or more anthologies
        > with helpful references for the pagination and line numbering of the
        > original works, and at least one *accepted* translation for each of
        > those texts. Herein lies the first problem: Whose translation of
        > each tractate do we deem authoritative enough to use as the bases
        > for our concordance? It's rather like the process of canonization,
        > and, considering questions over the restoration of many parts of
        > these works, deciding on a particular reconstruction for each book
        > could be difficult (to say the least).
        >
        > Just as we saw with Trimorphic Protennoia, we can find different
        > reasons for appreciating various modern translations, but if we were
        > to reference multiple versions of that book in a single concordance,
        > and readers looked up the word "voice," they would find that this
        > word pointed to crucially different terms in the original text
        > (again, depending upon exactly how the translators were employing
        > that word in English). This could actually be a *good* thing, of
        > course, if it allowed people to see the discrepancies from one
        > translation to another; even more so if it made clear the context of
        > the original.
        >
        > Gerry

        And copyright law would be a nightmare, because anything more than a
        small quote for review purposes is considered misuse without the
        author's permission. That's why compiling all translations into one
        book would be almost impossible and a concordance might be a problem
        too.

        Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s