Re: Redefining or a Modern Apolytrosis

  • mercyboxfan
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2005

      <mercyboxfan@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Describe a modern day version of the original Gnostics. If I
      > > understand
      > >> the meaning correctly it is an initiation rite, that describes
      the
      > > rite
      > >> as well as the gnosis received from it. I was just wondering
      what
      > > you
      > >> guys would make if you could create one for yourselves today.
      Just
      > >> thought that this might make an interesting line of conversation.
      > >>
      > >> Hoping,
      > >> Anne Marie
      > >

      > > For a little background, besides reading references in scripture,
      > > you might want to check out Dr. Hoeller's discussion of
      apolytrosis
      > > (redemption) in his article, "Valentinus, a Gnostic for All
      > > Seasons." See the last section entitled: Union and Redemption as
      > > Sacraments.
      > > http://www.gnosis.org/valentinus.htm
      > >
      > > Hoeller writes:
      > >
      > > "While many of the formulae for these rites have been lost, their
      > > essential meanings can still be discovered by perusing the various
      > > accounts given by the church fathers and the references contained
      in
      > > the Gnostic scriptures.
      > >
      > > I'd be interested what members might think about all this, too,
      Anne
      > > Marie.
      > >
      > > Also, perhaps, if so inclined, members of Dr. Hoeller's church
      could
      > > enlighten us as to how this is approached in that particular
      modern
      > > setting,... Mike, Thomas? :-)
      > >

      > > Cari
      >
      > We aren't quite there with full immersion, but even now with movies
      > and computer graphics, actual movies of each of the main myths could
      > be made, and then attended by groups of proto-gnostics. This might
      > be a start, though a bit expensive in practice, as a cynirama type
      > movie would be best. Also it might be hard to come up with
      > characters that fit all our individual imaginations. Look at the
      > effect some of the Matrix movies have had on people, and the
      > potential is obvious.
      >
      > Regards
      > --
      > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

      Mike,
      Thank you for mentioning a movies as a way of perpetuating myth. I
      know alot of ppl find them misleading and inane, but I find that even
      though you cant ever take movies at face value, they are excellent
      forms of visual stimulation. Thats why I posted earlier about the
      movie titled " A Cup of My Blood". That is the movie that made me
      start thinking about a modern day form of Apolytrosis.

      Thank you also to Cari for answering in such a great response. You
      can always be depended upon for great text and research material I
      have been following this group for a few years now, but I dont always
      post because this group is way too intellectual for me. LOL.
      Sometimes I get unsubscribed by a firewall program (obviously not a
      great one) that when I get the daily emails it automatically would
      unsubscribe me from the group and I would have to join again to post
      a or respond to a message. I think I have the firewall prog fixed,
      but that remains to be seen. LOL.

      Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. There was alot of great
      advice and I always find words or phrases in you guys answers that
      stick with me for days or weeks even....like sleepy beliefs....I love
      that...its so right on the mark.

      Thanks again...you guys are great,
      Anne Marie
    • janahooks
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2005
        Hey, Anne Marie,

        > Mike,
        > Thank you for mentioning a movies as a way of perpetuating myth. I
        > know alot of ppl find them misleading and inane, but I find that
        even
        > though you cant ever take movies at face value, they are excellent
        > forms of visual stimulation. Thats why I posted earlier about the
        > movie titled " A Cup of My Blood". That is the movie that made me
        > start thinking about a modern day form of Apolytrosis.

        I would just love a fully illustrated Gnostic Bible.:) I'm a visual
        learner, so I might take a look at the movie you suggest, but thanks
        for telling us that it is a horror flick--I am a big chicken.

        > I have been following this group for a few years now, but I dont
        >always post because this group is way too intellectual for me. LOL.

        Please keep posting for my sake, then. Sounds like you've been
        studying this much longer than I, and you might be able to explain
        some of this to me. Hand puppets would be nice. ;)

        > Sometimes I get unsubscribed by a firewall program (obviously not
        a great one) that when I get the daily emails it automatically would
        > unsubscribe me from the group and I would have to join again to
        post
        > a or respond to a message. I think I have the firewall prog fixed,
        > but that remains to be seen. LOL.

        I've been having firewall problems this weekend, too. Stops me from
        doing certain things. Maybe just read through the posts at the
        group site and just get rid of the daily emails. I don't get them,
        and I prefer it that way.

        jana
      • mercyboxfan
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2005
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hey, Anne Marie,
          >
          > > Mike,
          > > Thank you for mentioning a movies as a way of perpetuating myth.
          > > know alot of ppl find them misleading and inane, but I find that
          > even
          > > though you cant ever take movies at face value, they are
          excellent
          > > forms of visual stimulation. Thats why I posted earlier about the
          > > movie titled " A Cup of My Blood". That is the movie that made me
          > > start thinking about a modern day form of Apolytrosis.
          >
          > I would just love a fully illustrated Gnostic Bible.:) I'm a visual
          > learner, so I might take a look at the movie you suggest, but
          thanks
          > for telling us that it is a horror flick--I am a big chicken.
          >

          > > I have been following this group for a few years now, but I dont
          > >always post because this group is way too intellectual for me. LOL.
          >
          > Please keep posting for my sake, then. Sounds like you've been
          > studying this much longer than I, and you might be able to explain
          > some of this to me. Hand puppets would be nice. ;)
          >
          > > Sometimes I get unsubscribed by a firewall program (obviously not
          > a great one) that when I get the daily emails it automatically
          would
          > > unsubscribe me from the group and I would have to join again to
          > post
          > > a or respond to a message. I think I have the firewall prog
          fixed,
          > > but that remains to be seen. LOL.
          >
          > I've been having firewall problems this weekend, too. Stops me
          from
          > doing certain things. Maybe just read through the posts at the
          > group site and just get rid of the daily emails. I don't get them,
          > and I prefer it that way.
          >
          > jana

          Thanks Jana,
          About the modern day Apolytrosis, as I understand the word it means
          redemption. Of course there are only about a thousand ways to explain
          redemption for each individual. I was thinking...how much would
          redemption would I get by kicking a certain habit. Habits, to me,
          being very serious trappings of my demiurge. So what about a willful
          attempt at kicking a material habit, sugar,smoking,harmful
          relationships...etc., does this sound like a modern day Apolytosis
          attempt? I could be wayyyyyyy of base with this. LOL.

          Thanks,
          Anne Marie