Redefining or a Modern Apolutrosis

  • mercyboxfan
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2005
      Describe a modern day version of the original Gnostics. If I understand
      the meaning correctly it is an initiation rite, that describes the rite
      as well as the gnosis received from it. I was just wondering what you
      guys would make if you could create one for yourselves today. Just
      thought that this might make an interesting line of conversation.

      Hoping,
      Anne Marie
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2005
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "mercyboxfan" <mercyboxfan@y...>
        wrote:

        > Describe a modern day version of the original Gnostics. If I
        understand
        > the meaning correctly it is an initiation rite, that describes the
        rite
        > as well as the gnosis received from it. I was just wondering what
        you
        > guys would make if you could create one for yourselves today. Just
        > thought that this might make an interesting line of conversation.
        >
        > Hoping,
        > Anne Marie

        For a little background, besides reading references in scripture, you
        might want to check out Dr. Hoeller's discussion of apolytrosis
        (redemption) in his article, "Valentinus, a Gnostic for All
        Seasons." See the last section entitled: Union and Redemption as
        Sacraments.
        http://www.gnosis.org/valentinus.htm

        Hoeller writes:

        "While many of the formulae for these rites have been lost, their
        essential meanings can still be discovered by perusing the various
        accounts given by the church fathers and the references contained in
        the Gnostic scriptures.

        I'd be interested what members might think about all this, too, Anne
        Marie.

        Also, perhaps, if so inclined, members of Dr. Hoeller's church could
        enlighten us as to how this is approached in that particular modern
        setting,... Mike, Thomas? :-)

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2005
          Hello lady_caritas

          On 09/05/05, you wrote:

          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "mercyboxfan" <mercyboxfan@y...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> Describe a modern day version of the original Gnostics. If I
          > understand
          >> the meaning correctly it is an initiation rite, that describes the
          > rite
          >> as well as the gnosis received from it. I was just wondering what
          > you
          >> guys would make if you could create one for yourselves today. Just
          >> thought that this might make an interesting line of conversation.
          >>
          >> Hoping,
          >> Anne Marie
          >

          > For a little background, besides reading references in scripture,
          > you might want to check out Dr. Hoeller's discussion of apolytrosis
          > (redemption) in his article, "Valentinus, a Gnostic for All
          > Seasons." See the last section entitled: Union and Redemption as
          > Sacraments.
          > http://www.gnosis.org/valentinus.htm
          >
          > Hoeller writes:
          >
          > "While many of the formulae for these rites have been lost, their
          > essential meanings can still be discovered by perusing the various
          > accounts given by the church fathers and the references contained in
          > the Gnostic scriptures.
          >
          > I'd be interested what members might think about all this, too, Anne
          > Marie.
          >
          > Also, perhaps, if so inclined, members of Dr. Hoeller's church could
          > enlighten us as to how this is approached in that particular modern
          > setting,... Mike, Thomas? :-)
          >

          > Cari

          We aren't quite there with full immersion, but even now with movies
          and computer graphics, actual movies of each of the main myths could
          be made, and then attended by groups of proto-gnostics. This might
          be a start, though a bit expensive in practice, as a cynirama type
          movie would be best. Also it might be hard to come up with
          characters that fit all our individual imaginations. Look at the
          effect some of the Matrix movies have had on people, and the
          potential is obvious.

          Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
        • mercyboxfan
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2005
            > Hello lady_caritas
            >
            > On 09/05/05, you wrote:
            >
            > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "mercyboxfan"
            <mercyboxfan@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > >>
            > >> Describe a modern day version of the original Gnostics. If I
            > > understand
            > >> the meaning correctly it is an initiation rite, that describes
            the
            > > rite
            > >> as well as the gnosis received from it. I was just wondering
            what
            > > you
            > >> guys would make if you could create one for yourselves today.
            Just
            > >> thought that this might make an interesting line of conversation.
            > >>
            > >> Hoping,
            > >> Anne Marie
            > >

            > > For a little background, besides reading references in scripture,
            > > you might want to check out Dr. Hoeller's discussion of
            apolytrosis
            > > (redemption) in his article, "Valentinus, a Gnostic for All
            > > Seasons." See the last section entitled: Union and Redemption as
            > > Sacraments.
            > > http://www.gnosis.org/valentinus.htm
            > >
            > > Hoeller writes:
            > >
            > > "While many of the formulae for these rites have been lost, their
            > > essential meanings can still be discovered by perusing the various
            > > accounts given by the church fathers and the references contained
            in
            > > the Gnostic scriptures.
            > >
            > > I'd be interested what members might think about all this, too,
            Anne
            > > Marie.
            > >
            > > Also, perhaps, if so inclined, members of Dr. Hoeller's church
            could
            > > enlighten us as to how this is approached in that particular
            modern
            > > setting,... Mike, Thomas? :-)
            > >

            > > Cari
            >
            > We aren't quite there with full immersion, but even now with movies
            > and computer graphics, actual movies of each of the main myths could
            > be made, and then attended by groups of proto-gnostics. This might
            > be a start, though a bit expensive in practice, as a cynirama type
            > movie would be best. Also it might be hard to come up with
            > characters that fit all our individual imaginations. Look at the
            > effect some of the Matrix movies have had on people, and the
            > potential is obvious.
            >
            > Regards
            > --
            > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

            Mike,
            Thank you for mentioning a movies as a way of perpetuating myth. I
            know alot of ppl find them misleading and inane, but I find that even
            though you cant ever take movies at face value, they are excellent
            forms of visual stimulation. Thats why I posted earlier about the
            movie titled " A Cup of My Blood". That is the movie that made me
            start thinking about a modern day form of Apolytrosis.

            Thank you also to Cari for answering in such a great response. You
            can always be depended upon for great text and research material I
            have been following this group for a few years now, but I dont always
            post because this group is way too intellectual for me. LOL.
            Sometimes I get unsubscribed by a firewall program (obviously not a
            great one) that when I get the daily emails it automatically would
            unsubscribe me from the group and I would have to join again to post
            a or respond to a message. I think I have the firewall prog fixed,
            but that remains to be seen. LOL.

            Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. There was alot of great
            advice and I always find words or phrases in you guys answers that
            stick with me for days or weeks even....like sleepy beliefs....I love
            that...its so right on the mark.

            Thanks again...you guys are great,
            Anne Marie
          • janahooks
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2005
              Hey, Anne Marie,

              > Mike,
              > Thank you for mentioning a movies as a way of perpetuating myth. I
              > know alot of ppl find them misleading and inane, but I find that
              even
              > though you cant ever take movies at face value, they are excellent
              > forms of visual stimulation. Thats why I posted earlier about the
              > movie titled " A Cup of My Blood". That is the movie that made me
              > start thinking about a modern day form of Apolytrosis.

              I would just love a fully illustrated Gnostic Bible.:) I'm a visual
              learner, so I might take a look at the movie you suggest, but thanks
              for telling us that it is a horror flick--I am a big chicken.

              > I have been following this group for a few years now, but I dont
              >always post because this group is way too intellectual for me. LOL.

              Please keep posting for my sake, then. Sounds like you've been
              studying this much longer than I, and you might be able to explain
              some of this to me. Hand puppets would be nice. ;)

              > Sometimes I get unsubscribed by a firewall program (obviously not
              a great one) that when I get the daily emails it automatically would
              > unsubscribe me from the group and I would have to join again to
              post
              > a or respond to a message. I think I have the firewall prog fixed,
              > but that remains to be seen. LOL.

              I've been having firewall problems this weekend, too. Stops me from
              doing certain things. Maybe just read through the posts at the
              group site and just get rid of the daily emails. I don't get them,
              and I prefer it that way.

              jana
            • mercyboxfan
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 9, 2005
                --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@y...>
                wrote:
                > Hey, Anne Marie,
                >
                > > Mike,
                > > Thank you for mentioning a movies as a way of perpetuating myth.
                > > know alot of ppl find them misleading and inane, but I find that
                > even
                > > though you cant ever take movies at face value, they are
                excellent
                > > forms of visual stimulation. Thats why I posted earlier about the
                > > movie titled " A Cup of My Blood". That is the movie that made me
                > > start thinking about a modern day form of Apolytrosis.
                >
                > I would just love a fully illustrated Gnostic Bible.:) I'm a visual
                > learner, so I might take a look at the movie you suggest, but
                thanks
                > for telling us that it is a horror flick--I am a big chicken.
                >

                > > I have been following this group for a few years now, but I dont
                > >always post because this group is way too intellectual for me. LOL.
                >
                > Please keep posting for my sake, then. Sounds like you've been
                > studying this much longer than I, and you might be able to explain
                > some of this to me. Hand puppets would be nice. ;)
                >
                > > Sometimes I get unsubscribed by a firewall program (obviously not
                > a great one) that when I get the daily emails it automatically
                would
                > > unsubscribe me from the group and I would have to join again to
                > post
                > > a or respond to a message. I think I have the firewall prog
                fixed,
                > > but that remains to be seen. LOL.
                >
                > I've been having firewall problems this weekend, too. Stops me
                from
                > doing certain things. Maybe just read through the posts at the
                > group site and just get rid of the daily emails. I don't get them,
                > and I prefer it that way.
                >
                > jana

                Thanks Jana,
                About the modern day Apolytrosis, as I understand the word it means
                redemption. Of course there are only about a thousand ways to explain
                redemption for each individual. I was thinking...how much would
                redemption would I get by kicking a certain habit. Habits, to me,
                being very serious trappings of my demiurge. So what about a willful
                attempt at kicking a material habit, sugar,smoking,harmful
                relationships...etc., does this sound like a modern day Apolytosis
                attempt? I could be wayyyyyyy of base with this. LOL.

                Thanks,
                Anne Marie