Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: The Mind's Eye

  • j.j.salt
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
      Thanks for the source of the quote.  I'm sure I knew that it was he who said that, some years ago, but I had long since forgotten.

      As for the spiritual name "Durak," I recently told a correspondent on another discussion list who speaks Russian, "Ya Durak, potomu chto Ya nichevo ne znayu."  If you don't happen to be fluent in Russian, that means, basically, "I am Fool because I know nothing."  The more I have learned, the more I have come to realize how much I don't know.  I took that name, as I did the more obscure j.j.salt, for a variety of reasons, but partly my inspiration was the learned professor of Zen, Daisetz T. Suzuki, who took the name "Daisetz" also voluntarily, and it translates from the Japanese as, "Know nothing."
      Regards,
      Durak, aka j.j.salt

      P.S.  If you are curious about the reasons for my taking on the name, j.j.salt, I may share that some time, but don't feel quite like giving that up yet.  What is interesting and surprising to me is that both "Durak" and "j.j.salt" are, apparently, rather popular choices for screen names and e-mail addresses.  The reason this is true for Durak is readily apparent, to me, but I can't imagine how anyone else came to the name "j.j.salt," since this arose from entirely idiosyncratic reasons.

      lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "j.j.salt" <jj_salt@y...> wrote:
      >

      > > So whenever I have a question in my mind as to whether something
      > is "real" or a "metaphor," the answer is, simply, "Yes."
      > >
      > > If you need a literal Sophia, and you don't find one, then you
      need
      > to create one.  As the old saying goes, "If God did not exist we
      > would be obliged to create Him."  (Who did say that, anyway?  I'm
      > blocking who it was.  If anybody knows, I'd appreciate being
      > reminded.)
      > >
      > > In Unity,
      > > j.j.salt
      >

      > Hi, Durak.
      >
      > That would be Voltaire:
      > http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=776218
      >

      > Cari

      By the way, where on earth did you pick up your nickname "Durak"?
      You do *not at all* appear to be the "fool."  ;-)

    • j.j.salt
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
        That attitude--that just as the human mind is the creation of God, so too God is the creation of the human mind--is one with which I feel a great deal of resonance.  I do see, at a basic level, creation as God creating not-God, which then evolves to become God, although it has had God within all the time.  Who creates whom is thus, in my mind, a "chicken and egg" kind of question.

        Regards,
        j.j.salt

        Mike Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote, in part:
        Well it wasn't him who said it first, but it sounds a lot like the
        attitude of Eliphas Levi Zahid, the French occultist.  More like the
        quote (again while it might have been Voltare, I'm not sure) God
        created man and man returned the favor.  That is more like Levi.

        Mike Leavitt  ac998_@_lafn._org  remove -'s

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
          Hello j.j.salt

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
            Hello lady_caritas

            On 09/04/05, you wrote:

            > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "j.j.salt" <jj_salt@y...> wrote:
            >

            >> So whenever I have a question in my mind as to whether something
            > is "real" or a "metaphor," the answer is, simply, "Yes."
            >>
            >> If you need a literal Sophia, and you don't find one, then you need
            > to create one. As the old saying goes, "If God did not exist we
            > would be obliged to create Him." (Who did say that, anyway? I'm
            > blocking who it was. If anybody knows, I'd appreciate being
            > reminded.)
            >>
            >> In Unity,
            >> j.j.salt
            >

            > Hi, Durak.
            >
            > That would be Voltaire:
            > http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=776218
            >

            > Cari

            OK I was right, but you had a more accurate quote, though my version
            has been uttered before, but the idea was Voltaire.

            Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s