Re: what is an "Anti-Cosmic Dualism?"

    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 3, 2005
      Hello Tsharpmin7@...

      On 09/01/05, you wrote:

      > can anyone tell me what "anti-cosmic dualism" might be? its used in
      > an article i began reading yesterday morning:

      I have just an insight. Sophia means wisdom. Wisdom created the
      demiurge. The demiurge created evil. Therefore the root of evil
      lies in wisdom. So does the universe. Where does this leave us?
      Was wisdom unwise, or is there some reason for all of this? Wisdom
      did this without her consort, so was she only half wise? Still there
      is an irony here.

      Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 2, 2005
        Hello pmcvflag

        On 10/02/05, you wrote:

        > Hey Mike

        > the Hermetic texts, and cited by earlier Alchemists? If so, that
        > could lead to the idea it was more ancient. The Sephir Yedzirah was
        > out there long before the Zohar, for instance.<<<
        >
        > If I recall, the oldest version of the "Emerald Tablet" is from
        > around the 800s (AD), in Arabic. I think there were translations
        > from the 1200s in medieval Europe, and certainly there have been
        > people who thought these texts were very old. I am not sure exactly
        > where the discovery era presents any genuine reasoning for an older
        > date for the text, but of course even though the notion is not
        > relavant in modern thinking it could have been part of the reasoning
        > for people at the time. I can't say for sure. However, if you think
        > about it from the Renaissance rational, Hermes was a real person
        > from the time of Moses, which means that all hermetic writings that
        > were valid came from this historical person. So even then some texts
        > would not have predated the others.
        >
        > It is true, the Sefer Yetzirah predates the Zohar.... but it is also
        > from a different tradition than the Zohar. So, this could be more
        > like comparing pre-Hermetic ideas of "Hermes" with those of the
        > Corpus Hermetica. Yes, they predate them, but they also tell us a
        > limited amount about them.
        >
        > So, you could have a point there... the mere fact that the texts
        > were more popular and known before the Corpus Hermetica were
        > rediscovered could have lead some thinkers to the idea that they
        > were older. However, I am not sure exactly where this thinking would
        > have come from... all things considered.
        >
        > PMCV

        Actuallly literal acceptance of authorship and age was quite common.

        Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s