Re: [Gnosticism2] what is an "Anti-Cosmic Dualism?"

  • j.j.salt
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 1, 2005
      Warm Greetings, All,

      Although I am new to the study of Gnosticism, I believe the writer is referring to the criticism, often leveled at Gnosticism, that it takes a negative view of creation as it is, and contrasts that with the perfection of God the Forefather and His realm, the Pleroma.  Christian Gnostics, in particular, have theorized that the God of the Old Testament, Yahweh, was actually an inferior "emanation" of the true God who only believed that he was "the one true God."  They sometimes use this to account for some of the less-than-Godlike actions of Yahweh that can be seen in careful review of the Old Testament.

      As someone whose most profound spiritual experiences involve the absolute certainty of the Oneness of all creation, this initially led me to a certain degree of prejudice regarding Gnosticism, much as the quoted works state.  However, I have come to an intuitive understanding of how the Universe can still be One, and Gnosticism can still be a valid model of it.  I don't know that I am equipped, yet, to explain this intuitive understanding.

      In Unity,
      j.j.salt

      Tsharpmin7@... wrote:
      can anyone tell me what "anti-cosmic dualism" might be?  its used in an article i began reading yesterday morning: http://www.earlychurch.org.uk/article_gnosticism_yamauchi.html (Pre-Christian Gnosticism, the New Testament and Nag Hammadi in recent debate, by Edwin M. Yamauchi).

      here are the two examples of its usage:

      "...Hans Jonas has insisted that an anti-cosmic dualism is the essential ingredient of Gnosticism. The same point has been stressed recently by K.-W. Tröger: 'Primarily the Gnostic religion is an anti-cosmic religion'."

      "A major difficulty in accepting an inner Jewish origin for Gnosticism is to account for the anti-Jewish use which most Gnostics seem to have made of the 'Jewish' elements. The anti-cosmic attitude of the Gnostics contradicts the Jewish belief that God created the world and declared it good. According to Troger, 'But in my view, the hypothesis of a "revolt" within Judaism would hardly be sufficient in accounting for the fundamental and radical anti-cosmism in such a lot of Gnostic writings'."

      appreciate anyone's help here.

      your friend,

      Crispin Sainte III

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 2, 2005
        Hello pmcvflag

        On 10/02/05, you wrote:

        > Hey Mike

        > the Hermetic texts, and cited by earlier Alchemists? If so, that
        > could lead to the idea it was more ancient. The Sephir Yedzirah was
        > out there long before the Zohar, for instance.<<<
        >
        > If I recall, the oldest version of the "Emerald Tablet" is from
        > around the 800s (AD), in Arabic. I think there were translations
        > from the 1200s in medieval Europe, and certainly there have been
        > people who thought these texts were very old. I am not sure exactly
        > where the discovery era presents any genuine reasoning for an older
        > date for the text, but of course even though the notion is not
        > relavant in modern thinking it could have been part of the reasoning
        > for people at the time. I can't say for sure. However, if you think
        > about it from the Renaissance rational, Hermes was a real person
        > from the time of Moses, which means that all hermetic writings that
        > were valid came from this historical person. So even then some texts
        > would not have predated the others.
        >
        > It is true, the Sefer Yetzirah predates the Zohar.... but it is also
        > from a different tradition than the Zohar. So, this could be more
        > like comparing pre-Hermetic ideas of "Hermes" with those of the
        > Corpus Hermetica. Yes, they predate them, but they also tell us a
        > limited amount about them.
        >
        > So, you could have a point there... the mere fact that the texts
        > were more popular and known before the Corpus Hermetica were
        > rediscovered could have lead some thinkers to the idea that they
        > were older. However, I am not sure exactly where this thinking would
        > have come from... all things considered.
        >
        > PMCV

        Actuallly literal acceptance of authorship and age was quite common.

        Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s