Re: Ghosts

    Message 1 of 61 , Aug 12, 2005
      Hello lady_caritas

      On 08/12/05, you wrote:

      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@y...>
      > wrote:
      >> Hello, Mike.
      >>
      >>> Well the theosophists would say (recasting their termanalogy into
      >>> gnostic) that at death only the portion of soul useful to the
      > spirit
      >>> is saved, the rest is left to decay.
      >>
      >> Now, that's something to think about: what part of my soul is
      > *useful*
      >> to my spirit? I might not sleep if I think about that. ;)
      >>
      >> jana
      >

      > Say, Mike, to tie in Plotinus and the Enneads that Steve brought up,
      > I didn't know that Plotinus was a "Great Theosophist." ;-) lol Per:
      > http://www.wisdomworld.org/setting/plotinus.html
      >
      > Anyway, if you scroll about halfway down the page linked above,
      > Plotinus and Porphyry, have a dialogue about the soul.
      >
      > Plotinus: "Every soul has a lower part turned toward the body, and a
      > higher part turned toward the divine intelligence."
      >

      > Anyone want to comment about how the Gnostics viewed "soul" and its
      > relation to death? (Are we just talking about physical death here?)
      > The Gnostics seemed to be more preoccupied with cosmogony,...
      > beginnings, origins, reunification, as I believe Gerry pointed out
      > earlier. Do the Gnostics have anything to specifically say about
      > reincarnation, or not?
      >
      > Cari

      I can't give you citations, but some of the writings specifically say
      if you don't make it you are turned back to earth. I read such a
      passage here just a few weeks ago. May have been Phillip, but I
      can't remember. No idea of karma there though.

      Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
      Message 61 of 61 , Aug 12, 2005
        Hello lady_caritas