Re: Valentinian Exegesis of Paul

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 10, 2005

      > [...]
      > At the same time, many scholors like Dr Turner, Rudolph, Pearson,
      > Scholem, all are unafraid to talk about very early expressions of a
      > full blown Gnostic myth (and this is not even talking about VERY
      > closely related movements). Even Dr Erhman, whom I know Gerry has
      > had a personal run in with and we should be careful about because
      > he has some traditional Christian misgivings, postulates an early
      > date for Thomas, and believes it is dependant on a full Gnostic
      > system. Scholors who support the Petrement dating have really
      > fallen to the side as evidence has mounted against them. My own
      > prof on the subject was conservative with dating, but still
      > believed the likelyhood that the original "Gnostics" was quite
      > early in Christian history.
      > [....]

      Speaking of Dr. Ehrman, I picked up another of his books today. What
      can I say . . . it was my third full day off in over two months, so
      when I was finally able to make a trip to "civilization," I went crazy
      by the time I hit Barnes & Noble. BTW, I was pleased (somewhat) to see
      that they now feature a "Gnosis" section; it consisted of two shelves
      at the particular location I visited, but I couldn't resist rolling my
      eyes at some of the titles there.

      Anyway, I grabbed Ehrman's _Truth and Fiction in The Da Vinci Code_.
      Since I lent my copy of DVC to a friend, and recently heard reports of
      the controversy surrounding the movie production, I wanted to refresh
      my memory on some of the content, just to be prepared when the subject
      inevitably makes its way to water-cooler discussions at work. Of
      course, I'll also be interested to discover if I agree with the
      professor's critical analysis for the same reasons he puts forward, or
      if we would both tend to argue against the book's "factual" claims from
      different perspectives. It may prove to be a challenging exercise in
      historical objectivity.