Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Ghosts

  • arlene anjum
    Message 1 of 61 , Aug 9, 2005
      Yes I wonder that too. Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit.

      The whole Trinity. In the Gnostic Gospels by Pagel..the Spirit is actually Feminine in nature. I want to say Valentinius I don't have my book with me in the office so I can't say for sure.

      Personally I feel that somewhere there has to be a feminine divine. Why not a feminine spirit? Otherwise why then did God bother creating women altogether. Eve from Adam's rib and Adam is made in the image of God then God must be androgynous or hermaphroditc or asexual no? The more I read about Christianity, the more confused I get. All these creeds, The Apostles Creed the Nicene Creed blabbly blah..are so political in order to gain control over the masses I really wonder if there is any spirituality left in Christianity? Sorry for digressing..AA

      JennyG <aurum@...> wrote:
      >Hi PMCV:

      I was wondering how the gnostics of the early Christian era C.E. 50 or
      earlier viewed Ghosts. To me ghosts are the spirits of the deceased that
      either died tragic deaths, or those who passed but are in denial about their
      own mortality so they hang around on the earthly plane just on a different
      frequency than the human eye and ear can pick up (unless your a sensitive
      /psychic)..Arlene <

      Hello Everyone,

      I joined recently having met Karl in another group,  I am not sure what type
      of discussions you have here,  but I thought I would jump in on this one.
      Good question Arlene,  I look forward to hearing some replies.  I am not
      very scholarly or learned on The Gnostic texts so I will just  lurk quietly,
      if no one minds.
      On this topic though I just want to say that  I wonder why  some of the
      Churches  called the Holy Spirit,  "Holy Ghost.  I remember as a child in
      the Anglican Orphanage that I was terrified of the Holy Ghost.  We had heard
      the usual childhood stories of ghosts  as scary spectral beings haunting the
      living.   It was only later in my RC phase when it became  "Spiritus
      Sanctus"  that I could relax and stop looking over my shoulder  :)

      Jenny

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message 61 of 61 , Aug 12, 2005
        Hello lady_caritas

        On 08/12/05, you wrote:

        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@y...>
        > wrote:
        >> Hello, Mike.
        >>
        >>> Well the theosophists would say (recasting their termanalogy into
        >>> gnostic) that at death only the portion of soul useful to the
        > spirit
        >>> is saved, the rest is left to decay.
        >>
        >> Now, that's something to think about: what part of my soul is
        > *useful*
        >> to my spirit? I might not sleep if I think about that. ;)
        >>
        >> jana
        >

        > Say, Mike, to tie in Plotinus and the Enneads that Steve brought up,
        > I didn't know that Plotinus was a "Great Theosophist." ;-) lol Per:
        > http://www.wisdomworld.org/setting/plotinus.html
        >
        > Anyway, if you scroll about halfway down the page linked above,
        > Plotinus and Porphyry, have a dialogue about the soul.
        >
        > Plotinus: "Every soul has a lower part turned toward the body, and a
        > higher part turned toward the divine intelligence."
        >

        > Anyone want to comment about how the Gnostics viewed "soul" and its
        > relation to death? (Are we just talking about physical death here?)
        > The Gnostics seemed to be more preoccupied with cosmogony,...
        > beginnings, origins, reunification, as I believe Gerry pointed out
        > earlier. Do the Gnostics have anything to specifically say about
        > reincarnation, or not?
        >
        > Cari

        I can't give you citations, but some of the writings specifically say
        if you don't make it you are turned back to earth. I read such a
        passage here just a few weeks ago. May have been Phillip, but I
        can't remember. No idea of karma there though.

        Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s