Re: Ghosts

  • marinas_snake
    Message 1 of 61 , Aug 2, 2005
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, felix <fe1ix@e...> wrote:

      > It's been in the news for a few days that a 10th planet has
      > been discovered. All the planets discovered since the
      > invention of the telescope have been given the attributes or
      meaning of the era in which they were discovered. For
      > instance, the attributes of Pluto were assigned due to
      > events typifying the condition of Earth during the 1930's when it
      was discovered. What attributes would you assign to
      > the new planet that would capture the essence of the early
      > Millennium, and what nayme would you give it to indicate
      > such?
      >

      > felix
      > http://www.livejournal.com/users/fe1ix/

      I would name it Sophia

      Marina
      Message 61 of 61 , Aug 12, 2005
        Hello lady_caritas

        On 08/12/05, you wrote:

        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@y...>
        > wrote:
        >> Hello, Mike.
        >>
        >>> Well the theosophists would say (recasting their termanalogy into
        >>> gnostic) that at death only the portion of soul useful to the
        > spirit
        >>> is saved, the rest is left to decay.
        >>
        >> Now, that's something to think about: what part of my soul is
        > *useful*
        >> to my spirit? I might not sleep if I think about that. ;)
        >>
        >> jana
        >

        > Say, Mike, to tie in Plotinus and the Enneads that Steve brought up,
        > I didn't know that Plotinus was a "Great Theosophist." ;-) lol Per:
        > http://www.wisdomworld.org/setting/plotinus.html
        >
        > Anyway, if you scroll about halfway down the page linked above,
        > Plotinus and Porphyry, have a dialogue about the soul.
        >
        > Plotinus: "Every soul has a lower part turned toward the body, and a
        > higher part turned toward the divine intelligence."
        >

        > Anyone want to comment about how the Gnostics viewed "soul" and its
        > relation to death? (Are we just talking about physical death here?)
        > The Gnostics seemed to be more preoccupied with cosmogony,...
        > beginnings, origins, reunification, as I believe Gerry pointed out
        > earlier. Do the Gnostics have anything to specifically say about
        > reincarnation, or not?
        >
        > Cari

        I can't give you citations, but some of the writings specifically say
        if you don't make it you are turned back to earth. I read such a
        passage here just a few weeks ago. May have been Phillip, but I
        can't remember. No idea of karma there though.

        Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s