Re: Ghosts

    Message 1 of 61 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hello Gerry

      On 08/01/05, you wrote:

      > With that in mind, the first thought to run through my head was
      > whether or not the new discovery would even bear a Roman name.
      > Wouldn't something New Agey be just horrible? Then, I wondered if
      > there was a Roman equivalent for Narcissus. If I had to steer clear
      > of mortals and Greeks, however, I suppose I would have to lean
      > towards Discordia. Yeah, why not!

      Don't give the Astrologers that kind of a break, they always look for
      ways to give new planets bad attributes. Why make that easy for
      them?

      Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
      Message 61 of 61 , Aug 12, 2005
        Hello lady_caritas

        On 08/12/05, you wrote:

        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@y...>
        > wrote:
        >> Hello, Mike.
        >>
        >>> Well the theosophists would say (recasting their termanalogy into
        >>> gnostic) that at death only the portion of soul useful to the
        > spirit
        >>> is saved, the rest is left to decay.
        >>
        >> Now, that's something to think about: what part of my soul is
        > *useful*
        >> to my spirit? I might not sleep if I think about that. ;)
        >>
        >> jana
        >

        > Say, Mike, to tie in Plotinus and the Enneads that Steve brought up,
        > I didn't know that Plotinus was a "Great Theosophist." ;-) lol Per:
        > http://www.wisdomworld.org/setting/plotinus.html
        >
        > Anyway, if you scroll about halfway down the page linked above,
        > Plotinus and Porphyry, have a dialogue about the soul.
        >
        > Plotinus: "Every soul has a lower part turned toward the body, and a
        > higher part turned toward the divine intelligence."
        >

        > Anyone want to comment about how the Gnostics viewed "soul" and its
        > relation to death? (Are we just talking about physical death here?)
        > The Gnostics seemed to be more preoccupied with cosmogony,...
        > beginnings, origins, reunification, as I believe Gerry pointed out
        > earlier. Do the Gnostics have anything to specifically say about
        > reincarnation, or not?
        >
        > Cari

        I can't give you citations, but some of the writings specifically say
        if you don't make it you are turned back to earth. I read such a
        passage here just a few weeks ago. May have been Phillip, but I
        can't remember. No idea of karma there though.

        Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s