Re: The Valentinian System of Ptolemaeus ... and attributions

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 12 10:40 AM
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "frendlyfascist"
      <frendlyfascist@y...> wrote:
      > Ptolemaeus writtings in the "Other Bible" include The Valentinian
      > System of Ptolemaeus and his letter to Flora. Ptolemaeus Commentary
      > on John isnt in the "Other Bible", but is in the "Gnostic Bible"
      >

      > > Ptolemaeus is another name for ptolemy, and indeed Cari seems
      > > to be qouting Ptolemaeus Valentinian System. But the text I have
      > > is not written by the St. Irenaeus of Lyon, it was written by
      > > Ptolemaeus himself. I found this text in a book titled "The Other
      > > Bible" which contains a wide variety of Gnostic gospels and other
      > > texts. Ptolemaeus Valentinian System starts with the emanation of
      > > 30 Aeons and ends with a teaching on the three "classes" of
      > > humans. After each "chapter" of this text Ptolemaeus offers
      > > Biblical proof for his claims.

      In the interest of clarifying the clarifications, I'd like to point
      out that Willis Barnstone does cite the sources of these texts. In
      _The Other Bible_, he mentions the following on pg. 621:

      Irenaeus' refutation of Valentinianism is directed primarily against
      that form of it created by Ptolemaeus, and our description of the
      system is translated from Irenaeus, Adv. haer. i. 1-8 . . . .

      In his "Letter to Flora" he set forth the answers to some theological
      difficulties encountered by a Christian woman named Flora, carefully
      leading her along a seemingly orthodox path to the point where she
      will recognize that the Valentinians share in the apostolic tradition
      and that the truth of their teaching is guaranteed by the words of
      the Savior. This letter is preserved by Epiphanius, Pan. haer.
      xxxiii. 3-7 . . . .

      He attributes the latter text again in _The Gnostic Bible_ on pg. 300:

      Ptolemy's Letter to Flora survives in Greek as a quotation from a
      work by the heresiologist Epiphanius of Salamis in his Panarion
      (33.3–7); translated by Grant, _Gnosticism_, pp. 184–90; adapted by
      Willis Barnstone.

      Also included in this volume is *Herakleon's* Commentary on the
      Gospel of John (pg. 307).

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 12 10:51 AM
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Darius C. Rohman"
        <simongnosticus@y...> wrote:
        > where did I find The Gnostic Bible?
        > please someone tell me!!!

        "A bookstore" sounds like a reasonable answer.