Re: The Valentinian System of Ptolemaeus, nature of the universe

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 11 6:47 PM
      Hello frendlyfascist

      On 07/11/05, you wrote:

      > Ptolemaeus is another name for ptolemy, and indeed Cari seems to be
      > qouting Ptolemaeus Valentinian System. But the text I have is not
      > written by the St. Irenaeus of Lyon, it was written by Ptolemaeus
      > himself. I found this text in a book titled "The Other Bible" which
      > contains a wide variety of Gnostic gospels and other texts.
      > Ptolemaeus Valentinian System starts with the emanation of 30 Aeons
      > and ends with a teaching on the three "classes" of humans. After
      > each "chapter" of this text Ptolemaeus offers Biblical proof for his
      > claims.

      Her quote was from Irenaeus book, not by him. "The Other Bible",
      another book I have to get.

      Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
    • frendlyfascist
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 11 9:01 PM
        Ptolemaeus writtings in the "Other Bible" include The Valentinian
        System of Ptolemaeus and his letter to Flora. Ptolemaeus Commentary
        on John isnt in the "Other Bible", but is in the "Gnostic Bible"

        > Hey Friendlyfascist, you state....
        >
        > >>"Ptolemaeus is another name for ptolemy, and indeed Cari seems
        > be qouting Ptolemaeus Valentinian System. But the text I have is
        not
        > written by the St. Irenaeus of Lyon, it was written by Ptolemaeus
        > himself. I found this text in a book titled "The Other Bible" which
        > contains a wide variety of Gnostic gospels and other texts.
        > Ptolemaeus Valentinian System starts with the emanation of 30 Aeons
        > and ends with a teaching on the three "classes" of humans. After
        > each "chapter" of this text Ptolemaeus offers Biblical proof for
        his
        > claims."<<
        >
        > If I recall correctly, the books from "The Other Bible" are
        actually
        > from Ireneus, just as the piece Lady Cari gave is. What we have
        from
        > Ptolomy was preserved in the heresiologists. For instance, the
        > commentary on John is from Ireneus, and the letter to Flora is
        from
        > Epiphanius.
        >
        > I have also seen, somewhere, the outline that Cari gave us written
        > as if it were a direct quote from Ptolemy... maybe that was in
        > the "Other Bible"? I don't remember the contents of "The Other
        > Bible" (though I think that the commentary on John is one of the
        > things it includes), so perhaps you could take a look for us and
        > tell us exactly which writings you are telling us about.
        >
        > You go on to state....
        >
        > >>"Equating Spirit with energy is my own idea, probably highly
        > influenced by the "New Age" movement. I quese what Im saying is
        that
        > even matter must in some way originate in the Pleroma, for if
        > nothing but God existed in the begining, everything has to be made
        > of his substance. "The glory of God is to conceal a thing."
        Proverbs
        > 25:2"<<<
        >
        > This may seem intuitively true for you... and it may be a true
        > observation... but it is not something that the Gnostics generally
        > agreed with. Well, let me qualify that a bit. The Gnostic texts
        > often take some pains to seperate the Pleroma from physical
        > creation. This may vary from text to text, but more often than not
        > we do see some kind of destinction, and in some cases it is very
        > overt. For instance, if we examine the more familiar version of
        the
        > Sophia myth, we see her seperation on the edge of the Pleroma, and
        > matter comming into existance outside of the Pleroma due to that
        > distance from the source.
        >
        > In that way it could be accurate to say that matter has a source
        in
        > the Pleroma, but it is made very clear that matter is not a part
        of
        > the Pleroma.... and that it is seperate from spirit. One of the
        > things that defines Gnosticism is this observation of matter as a
        > prison for the spirit (rather than an aspect of the spirit), which
        > would make it very incompatible with the notion of matter and
        spirit
        > as one.
        >
        > PMCV
      • Darius C. Rohman
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 11 11:29 PM
          where did I find The Gnostic Bible?
          please someone tell me!!!

          Mike Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:
          Hello lady_caritas

          On 07/11/05, you wrote:

          >> Hello frendlyfascist
          >>
          >> On 07/11/05, you wrote:
          >>
          >>> Lately Ive been questioning the nature of the universe and one
          >>> scripture which really attracts me is The Valentinian System of
          >>> Ptolemaeus. In this text the material world is made out of
          > Achamoths
          >> > emotions. Scientists tell us that all matter is actually energy,
          > but
          >>> is not all this energy actually spirit? Will not even Achamoth's
          >>> negative emotions be cleansed and restored to the pleroma?
          >>
          >> Where did you find that scripture?
          >>
          >> Regards
          >> --
          >> Mike Leavitt  ac998_@_lafn._org  remove -'s
          >

          > Hi, Mike.  I'm not sure which scripture frendly is referring to
          > (he/she can enlighten us), but Bentley Layton in _The Gnostic
          > Scriptures_ has Ptolemy's Version of the Gnostic Myth (according to
          > St. Irenaeus of Lyon, Against Heresies 1.1.1-1.8.5).
          >
          > Regarding Achamoth and the origin of matter (p. 289):

          [cut long quote]

          I have Layton's book, but I'm reading the Gnostic Bible first, and had
          not noticed this when I went through Layton's table of contents.  Of
          course I wasn't looking for it in particular.

          Mike Leavitt  ac998_@_lafn._org  remove -'s

          Yahoo! Mail for Mobile

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 12 10:40 AM
            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "frendlyfascist"
            <frendlyfascist@y...> wrote:
            > Ptolemaeus writtings in the "Other Bible" include The Valentinian
            > System of Ptolemaeus and his letter to Flora. Ptolemaeus Commentary
            > on John isnt in the "Other Bible", but is in the "Gnostic Bible"
            >

            > > Ptolemaeus is another name for ptolemy, and indeed Cari seems
            > > to be qouting Ptolemaeus Valentinian System. But the text I have
            > > is not written by the St. Irenaeus of Lyon, it was written by
            > > Ptolemaeus himself. I found this text in a book titled "The Other
            > > Bible" which contains a wide variety of Gnostic gospels and other
            > > texts. Ptolemaeus Valentinian System starts with the emanation of
            > > 30 Aeons and ends with a teaching on the three "classes" of
            > > humans. After each "chapter" of this text Ptolemaeus offers
            > > Biblical proof for his claims.

            In the interest of clarifying the clarifications, I'd like to point
            out that Willis Barnstone does cite the sources of these texts. In
            _The Other Bible_, he mentions the following on pg. 621:

            Irenaeus' refutation of Valentinianism is directed primarily against
            that form of it created by Ptolemaeus, and our description of the
            system is translated from Irenaeus, Adv. haer. i. 1-8 . . . .

            In his "Letter to Flora" he set forth the answers to some theological
            difficulties encountered by a Christian woman named Flora, carefully
            leading her along a seemingly orthodox path to the point where she
            will recognize that the Valentinians share in the apostolic tradition
            and that the truth of their teaching is guaranteed by the words of
            the Savior. This letter is preserved by Epiphanius, Pan. haer.
            xxxiii. 3-7 . . . .

            He attributes the latter text again in _The Gnostic Bible_ on pg. 300:

            Ptolemy's Letter to Flora survives in Greek as a quotation from a
            work by the heresiologist Epiphanius of Salamis in his Panarion
            (33.3–7); translated by Grant, _Gnosticism_, pp. 184–90; adapted by
            Willis Barnstone.

            Also included in this volume is *Herakleon's* Commentary on the
            Gospel of John (pg. 307).

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 12 10:51 AM
              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Darius C. Rohman"
              <simongnosticus@y...> wrote:
              > where did I find The Gnostic Bible?
              > please someone tell me!!!

              "A bookstore" sounds like a reasonable answer.