Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: The Valentinian System of Ptolemaeus, nature of the universe

Expand Messages
  • frendlyfascist
    Ptolemaeus is another name for ptolemy, and indeed Cari seems to be qouting Ptolemaeus Valentinian System. But the text I have is not written by the St.
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 11 10:36 AM
    • 0 Attachment
      Ptolemaeus is another name for ptolemy, and indeed Cari seems to be
      qouting Ptolemaeus Valentinian System. But the text I have is not
      written by the St. Irenaeus of Lyon, it was written by Ptolemaeus
      himself. I found this text in a book titled "The Other Bible" which
      contains a wide variety of Gnostic gospels and other texts.
      Ptolemaeus Valentinian System starts with the emanation of 30 Aeons
      and ends with a teaching on the three "classes" of humans. After
      each "chapter" of this text Ptolemaeus offers Biblical proof for his
      claims.
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...>
      wrote:
      > > Hello frendlyfascist
      > >
      > > On 07/11/05, you wrote:
      > >
      > > > Lately Ive been questioning the nature of the universe and one
      > > > scripture which really attracts me is The Valentinian System of
      > > > Ptolemaeus. In this text the material world is made out of
      > Achamoths
      > > > emotions. Scientists tell us that all matter is actually
      energy,
      > but
      > > > is not all this energy actually spirit? Will not even
      Achamoth's
      > > > negative emotions be cleansed and restored to the pleroma?
      > >
      > > Where did you find that scripture?
      > >
      > > Regards
      > > --
      > > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
      >
      >
      >
      > Hi, Mike. I'm not sure which scripture frendly is referring to
      > (he/she can enlighten us), but Bentley Layton in _The Gnostic
      > Scriptures_ has Ptolemy's Version of the Gnostic Myth (according
      to
      > St. Irenaeus of Lyon, Against Heresies 1.1.1-1.8.5).
      >
      > Regarding Achamoth and the origin of matter (p. 289):
      >
      > "Because she was unable to pass through the boundary since she was
      > involved with passion, and she had been left outside and alone,
      she
      > became subject to every aspect of manifold and diverse passion:
      she
      > suffered grief, because she had not understood; fear, lest life
      > should leave her just as light had done; uncertainty, at all of
      > these; and everything in lack of acquaintance.
      >
      > "And unlike the aeon first wisdom (Sophia), her mother, in these
      > passions she experienced not alteration but rather contrariety;
      and a
      > different condition came to be present in her, one of turning back
      > toward the one who had made her alive.
      >
      > "She -- they say -- accounts for the genesis and essence of the
      > matter out of which this world came into being. For, the entire
      soul
      > of the world and the craftsman had its origination in her turning
      > back; other things and their beginning in her fear and her grief.
      > Indeed, all moist essences came into being from her tears;
      luminous
      > ones, from her laughter; and the bodily elements of the world,
      from
      > her grief and terror. For sometimes -- they say -- she cried and
      > felt grief because of being left alone in the darkness and
      emptiness;
      > sometimes she proceeded to thought about the light that had left
      her,
      > and she relaxed and laughed; sometimes she was afraid; and yet
      other
      > times she became uncertain and distraught."
      >
      >
      > Cari
    • frendlyfascist
      Equating Spirit with energy is my own idea, probably highly influenced by the New Age movement. I quese what Im saying is that even matter must in some way
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 11 10:46 AM
      • 0 Attachment
        Equating Spirit with energy is my own idea, probably highly
        influenced by the "New Age" movement. I quese what Im saying is that
        even matter must in some way originate in the Pleroma, for if
        nothing but God existed in the begining, everything has to be made
        of his substance. "The glory of God is to conceal a thing." Proverbs
        25:2


        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "frendlyfascist"
        > <frendlyfascist@y...> wrote:
        > > Lately Ive been questioning the nature of the universe and one
        > > scripture which really attracts me is The Valentinian System of
        > > Ptolemaeus. In this text the material world is made out of
        > Achamoths
        > > emotions. Scientists tell us that all matter is actually energy,
        > but
        > > is not all this energy actually spirit? Will not even Achamoth's
        > > negative emotions be cleansed and restored to the pleroma?
        >
        >
        > Hello, frendly.
        >
        > Your proposition carried further:
        >
        > If energy = matter,
        > And if spirit = energy,
        > Then spirit = matter?
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        >
        > Question back at ya:
        > Did the Gnostics ever equate spirit with energy or matter?
        >
        >
        > Cari
      • pmcvflag
        Hey Friendlyfascist, you state.... ... be qouting Ptolemaeus Valentinian System. But the text I have is not written by the St. Irenaeus of Lyon, it was written
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 11 5:33 PM
        • 0 Attachment
          Hey Friendlyfascist, you state....

          >>"Ptolemaeus is another name for ptolemy, and indeed Cari seems to
          be qouting Ptolemaeus Valentinian System. But the text I have is not
          written by the St. Irenaeus of Lyon, it was written by Ptolemaeus
          himself. I found this text in a book titled "The Other Bible" which
          contains a wide variety of Gnostic gospels and other texts.
          Ptolemaeus Valentinian System starts with the emanation of 30 Aeons
          and ends with a teaching on the three "classes" of humans. After
          each "chapter" of this text Ptolemaeus offers Biblical proof for his
          claims."<<

          If I recall correctly, the books from "The Other Bible" are actually
          from Ireneus, just as the piece Lady Cari gave is. What we have from
          Ptolomy was preserved in the heresiologists. For instance, the
          commentary on John is from Ireneus, and the letter to Flora is from
          Epiphanius.

          I have also seen, somewhere, the outline that Cari gave us written
          as if it were a direct quote from Ptolemy... maybe that was in
          the "Other Bible"? I don't remember the contents of "The Other
          Bible" (though I think that the commentary on John is one of the
          things it includes), so perhaps you could take a look for us and
          tell us exactly which writings you are telling us about.

          You go on to state....

          >>"Equating Spirit with energy is my own idea, probably highly
          influenced by the "New Age" movement. I quese what Im saying is that
          even matter must in some way originate in the Pleroma, for if
          nothing but God existed in the begining, everything has to be made
          of his substance. "The glory of God is to conceal a thing." Proverbs
          25:2"<<<

          This may seem intuitively true for you... and it may be a true
          observation... but it is not something that the Gnostics generally
          agreed with. Well, let me qualify that a bit. The Gnostic texts
          often take some pains to seperate the Pleroma from physical
          creation. This may vary from text to text, but more often than not
          we do see some kind of destinction, and in some cases it is very
          overt. For instance, if we examine the more familiar version of the
          Sophia myth, we see her seperation on the edge of the Pleroma, and
          matter comming into existance outside of the Pleroma due to that
          distance from the source.

          In that way it could be accurate to say that matter has a source in
          the Pleroma, but it is made very clear that matter is not a part of
          the Pleroma.... and that it is seperate from spirit. One of the
          things that defines Gnosticism is this observation of matter as a
          prison for the spirit (rather than an aspect of the spirit), which
          would make it very incompatible with the notion of matter and spirit
          as one.

          PMCV
        • Mike Leavitt
          Hello lady_caritas ... [cut long quote] I have Layton s book, but I m reading the Gnostic Bible first, and had not noticed this when I went through Layton s
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 11 6:44 PM
          • 0 Attachment
            Hello lady_caritas

            On 07/11/05, you wrote:

            > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...> wrote:
            >> Hello frendlyfascist
            >>
            >> On 07/11/05, you wrote:
            >>
            >>> Lately Ive been questioning the nature of the universe and one
            >>> scripture which really attracts me is The Valentinian System of
            >>> Ptolemaeus. In this text the material world is made out of
            > Achamoths
            >> > emotions. Scientists tell us that all matter is actually energy,
            > but
            >>> is not all this energy actually spirit? Will not even Achamoth's
            >>> negative emotions be cleansed and restored to the pleroma?
            >>
            >> Where did you find that scripture?
            >>
            >> Regards
            >> --
            >> Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
            >
            >
            >
            > Hi, Mike. I'm not sure which scripture frendly is referring to
            > (he/she can enlighten us), but Bentley Layton in _The Gnostic
            > Scriptures_ has Ptolemy's Version of the Gnostic Myth (according to
            > St. Irenaeus of Lyon, Against Heresies 1.1.1-1.8.5).
            >
            > Regarding Achamoth and the origin of matter (p. 289):

            [cut long quote]

            I have Layton's book, but I'm reading the Gnostic Bible first, and had
            not noticed this when I went through Layton's table of contents. Of
            course I wasn't looking for it in particular.

            Regards
            --
            Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
          • Mike Leavitt
            Hello frendlyfascist ... Her quote was from Irenaeus book, not by him. The Other Bible , another book I have to get. Regards -- Mike Leavitt
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 11 6:47 PM
            • 0 Attachment
              Hello frendlyfascist

              On 07/11/05, you wrote:

              > Ptolemaeus is another name for ptolemy, and indeed Cari seems to be
              > qouting Ptolemaeus Valentinian System. But the text I have is not
              > written by the St. Irenaeus of Lyon, it was written by Ptolemaeus
              > himself. I found this text in a book titled "The Other Bible" which
              > contains a wide variety of Gnostic gospels and other texts.
              > Ptolemaeus Valentinian System starts with the emanation of 30 Aeons
              > and ends with a teaching on the three "classes" of humans. After
              > each "chapter" of this text Ptolemaeus offers Biblical proof for his
              > claims.

              Her quote was from Irenaeus book, not by him. "The Other Bible",
              another book I have to get.

              Regards
              --
              Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
            • frendlyfascist
              Ptolemaeus writtings in the Other Bible include The Valentinian System of Ptolemaeus and his letter to Flora. Ptolemaeus Commentary on John isnt in the
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 11 9:01 PM
              • 0 Attachment
                Ptolemaeus writtings in the "Other Bible" include The Valentinian
                System of Ptolemaeus and his letter to Flora. Ptolemaeus Commentary
                on John isnt in the "Other Bible", but is in the "Gnostic Bible"

                --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Hey Friendlyfascist, you state....
                >
                > >>"Ptolemaeus is another name for ptolemy, and indeed Cari seems
                to
                > be qouting Ptolemaeus Valentinian System. But the text I have is
                not
                > written by the St. Irenaeus of Lyon, it was written by Ptolemaeus
                > himself. I found this text in a book titled "The Other Bible" which
                > contains a wide variety of Gnostic gospels and other texts.
                > Ptolemaeus Valentinian System starts with the emanation of 30 Aeons
                > and ends with a teaching on the three "classes" of humans. After
                > each "chapter" of this text Ptolemaeus offers Biblical proof for
                his
                > claims."<<
                >
                > If I recall correctly, the books from "The Other Bible" are
                actually
                > from Ireneus, just as the piece Lady Cari gave is. What we have
                from
                > Ptolomy was preserved in the heresiologists. For instance, the
                > commentary on John is from Ireneus, and the letter to Flora is
                from
                > Epiphanius.
                >
                > I have also seen, somewhere, the outline that Cari gave us written
                > as if it were a direct quote from Ptolemy... maybe that was in
                > the "Other Bible"? I don't remember the contents of "The Other
                > Bible" (though I think that the commentary on John is one of the
                > things it includes), so perhaps you could take a look for us and
                > tell us exactly which writings you are telling us about.
                >
                > You go on to state....
                >
                > >>"Equating Spirit with energy is my own idea, probably highly
                > influenced by the "New Age" movement. I quese what Im saying is
                that
                > even matter must in some way originate in the Pleroma, for if
                > nothing but God existed in the begining, everything has to be made
                > of his substance. "The glory of God is to conceal a thing."
                Proverbs
                > 25:2"<<<
                >
                > This may seem intuitively true for you... and it may be a true
                > observation... but it is not something that the Gnostics generally
                > agreed with. Well, let me qualify that a bit. The Gnostic texts
                > often take some pains to seperate the Pleroma from physical
                > creation. This may vary from text to text, but more often than not
                > we do see some kind of destinction, and in some cases it is very
                > overt. For instance, if we examine the more familiar version of
                the
                > Sophia myth, we see her seperation on the edge of the Pleroma, and
                > matter comming into existance outside of the Pleroma due to that
                > distance from the source.
                >
                > In that way it could be accurate to say that matter has a source
                in
                > the Pleroma, but it is made very clear that matter is not a part
                of
                > the Pleroma.... and that it is seperate from spirit. One of the
                > things that defines Gnosticism is this observation of matter as a
                > prison for the spirit (rather than an aspect of the spirit), which
                > would make it very incompatible with the notion of matter and
                spirit
                > as one.
                >
                > PMCV
              • Darius C. Rohman
                where did I find The Gnostic Bible? please someone tell me!!! Mike Leavitt wrote: Hello lady_caritas ... [cut long quote] I have Layton s
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 11 11:29 PM
                • 0 Attachment
                  where did I find The Gnostic Bible?
                  please someone tell me!!!

                  Mike Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:
                  Hello lady_caritas

                  On 07/11/05, you wrote:

                  > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@l...> wrote:
                  >> Hello frendlyfascist
                  >>
                  >> On 07/11/05, you wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Lately Ive been questioning the nature of the universe and one
                  >>> scripture which really attracts me is The Valentinian System of
                  >>> Ptolemaeus. In this text the material world is made out of
                  > Achamoths
                  >> > emotions. Scientists tell us that all matter is actually energy,
                  > but
                  >>> is not all this energy actually spirit? Will not even Achamoth's
                  >>> negative emotions be cleansed and restored to the pleroma?
                  >>
                  >> Where did you find that scripture?
                  >>
                  >> Regards
                  >> --
                  >> Mike Leavitt  ac998_@_lafn._org  remove -'s
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > Hi, Mike.  I'm not sure which scripture frendly is referring to
                  > (he/she can enlighten us), but Bentley Layton in _The Gnostic
                  > Scriptures_ has Ptolemy's Version of the Gnostic Myth (according to
                  > St. Irenaeus of Lyon, Against Heresies 1.1.1-1.8.5).
                  >
                  > Regarding Achamoth and the origin of matter (p. 289):

                  [cut long quote]

                  I have Layton's book, but I'm reading the Gnostic Bible first, and had
                  not noticed this when I went through Layton's table of contents.  Of
                  course I wasn't looking for it in particular.

                  Regards
                  --
                  Mike Leavitt  ac998_@_lafn._org  remove -'s




                  Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
                  Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.

                • Gerry
                  ... In the interest of clarifying the clarifications, I d like to point out that Willis Barnstone does cite the sources of these texts. In _The Other Bible_,
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 12 10:40 AM
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "frendlyfascist"
                    <frendlyfascist@y...> wrote:
                    > Ptolemaeus writtings in the "Other Bible" include The Valentinian
                    > System of Ptolemaeus and his letter to Flora. Ptolemaeus Commentary
                    > on John isnt in the "Other Bible", but is in the "Gnostic Bible"
                    >
                    > >
                    > > Ptolemaeus is another name for ptolemy, and indeed Cari seems
                    > > to be qouting Ptolemaeus Valentinian System. But the text I have
                    > > is not written by the St. Irenaeus of Lyon, it was written by
                    > > Ptolemaeus himself. I found this text in a book titled "The Other
                    > > Bible" which contains a wide variety of Gnostic gospels and other
                    > > texts. Ptolemaeus Valentinian System starts with the emanation of
                    > > 30 Aeons and ends with a teaching on the three "classes" of
                    > > humans. After each "chapter" of this text Ptolemaeus offers
                    > > Biblical proof for his claims.
                    > >



                    In the interest of clarifying the clarifications, I'd like to point
                    out that Willis Barnstone does cite the sources of these texts. In
                    _The Other Bible_, he mentions the following on pg. 621:

                    Irenaeus' refutation of Valentinianism is directed primarily against
                    that form of it created by Ptolemaeus, and our description of the
                    system is translated from Irenaeus, Adv. haer. i. 1-8 . . . .

                    In his "Letter to Flora" he set forth the answers to some theological
                    difficulties encountered by a Christian woman named Flora, carefully
                    leading her along a seemingly orthodox path to the point where she
                    will recognize that the Valentinians share in the apostolic tradition
                    and that the truth of their teaching is guaranteed by the words of
                    the Savior. This letter is preserved by Epiphanius, Pan. haer.
                    xxxiii. 3-7 . . . .


                    He attributes the latter text again in _The Gnostic Bible_ on pg. 300:

                    Ptolemy's Letter to Flora survives in Greek as a quotation from a
                    work by the heresiologist Epiphanius of Salamis in his Panarion
                    (33.3–7); translated by Grant, _Gnosticism_, pp. 184–90; adapted by
                    Willis Barnstone.

                    Also included in this volume is *Herakleon's* Commentary on the
                    Gospel of John (pg. 307).

                    Gerry
                  • Gerry
                    ... A bookstore sounds like a reasonable answer. Gerry
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 12 10:51 AM
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Darius C. Rohman"
                      <simongnosticus@y...> wrote:
                      > where did I find The Gnostic Bible?
                      > please someone tell me!!!
                      >



                      "A bookstore" sounds like a reasonable answer.

                      Gerry
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.