Re: Error

    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 10, 2005

      > What did you think of the translation of excerpts from the Gospel of
      > John in the "Gnostic Bible?"
      >
      > Regards
      > --
      > Mike Leavitt

      While it might have occurred to me that either Barnstone or Meyer
      would have used their own translation (like Pagels), it completely
      escaped me that those Johannine passages were included in that
      anthology . . . so thanks for reminding me!

      I have wanted to find time to sit down and work out a comparison ever
      since you mentioned it, but thus far, I've only had a chance to copy
      the Greek text to a file (thinking I might get to print it out so I
      could look over it with the other material at lunch breaks). I knew
      I didn't want to carry both my Interlinear Bible AND "The Gnostic
      Bible" to work . . . not so much because of my co-workers as because
      of the sheer weight of everything else I carry around with me
      already; those hefty volumes would really be a burden. Anyway, I'm a
      little closer to where I can have it all in front of me during a
      moment of free time, but it will be a while before I get back to you
      regarding any conclusions.

      I even took Hoeller's book with me one night, but I really need to go
      back and start the whole thing anew, rather than trying to pick up
      where I previously left off months ago.

      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 28, 2005
        Hello pmcvflag

        On 07/25/05, you wrote:

        > Gerry is overly humble. Let me state for the record that I have
        > taken his observations over people who actually technically
        > ARE "linguists" by trade.
        >
        > PMCV
        >
        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...> wrote:
        >>
        >> --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "marinas_snake"
        >> <marinas_snake@y...> wrote:
        >>>

        >>> Gerry, are you a linguist?
        >>>
        >>> Marina
        >>>

        >> A Linguist? No, Marina. I was raised a Methodist.
        >>
        >> Well, I was going to extend my facetious abuse of that term to a
        >> long
        >> spiel on glossolalia, but even as waggish as I feel at the moment,
        >> it
        >> is actually my fatigue that is winning out. Let me just admit
        >> that I
        >> do have a peculiar interest (i.e., geeky fascination) when it
        >> comes
        >> to languages. Nothing of a professional nature though.
        >>
        >> Gerry

        At least we can't accuse him of ego inflation. :-)

        Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s