Re: Error

    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 5, 2005
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@y...>
      wrote:
      > Heh-I am currently letting a varigated jasmine and a wild
      blackberry
      > duke it out over my mailbox post. I think they will just cancel
      > each other out.

      Going down to the Post Office to pick up mail is about the extent of
      my social interaction in the community, but I DO have a split-rail
      fence, and I've toyed with the idea of letting some of the posts go
      natural like that. Back in April, before they bulldozed the
      remaining wooded lots north of me (and while I could identify the
      vines by the flowers), I filled numerous pots and buckets with some
      of the Carolina Jasmine (jessamine) that was growing next to my
      property. Even most of the tender sprigs seem to have survived the
      potting, and a couple came from the mother load . . . still sprouting
      from vine "trunks" that are bigger around than my thumb. I can't
      wait to decide where it will all go.

      I wonder if I could get someone to engineer a wire cage over my
      house, around the perimeter of the lot? It could be like one giant
      topiary foundation. The birds and wildlife would have their habitat
      back, and I could reach out the kitchen window to pluck blackberries,
      and the added foliage filtering out sunlight would make it easier to
      sleep during the day. Hmmmm, since I haven't managed to find a
      habitable cave yet, this may well be the next best thing, Jana,
      especially after I had to rule out building a moat because of the
      threat of mosquitoes and zoning ordinances! "Chez Ger" could simply
      become "Br'er Ger's Briar Patch." That has potential, but I think I
      need to sleep on it (which is my answer to everything these days).

      > The thing that always bugged me about it was that it only
      > amplified "key words". So, even though they are translating from
      > the original, the translators are still making a judgment call on
      > what is considered "key" in a passage. Of course, I know the thing
      > would be completely unreadable if they went after everything. So,
      > I see what you mean about wanting sort of a Gnostic version. Gee,
      > Gerry, when do you suppose you can get that published for us? Drop
      > one of those jobs and get a grant... :)
      >
      > jana

      Yeah, I'll get right on that, Jana. LOL

      You have indeed identified the problem. What would be keywords for
      one approach would not have the same meaning for another, so
      those "judgment calls" are inextricably linked to the agenda of the
      given perspective. For me, I would mostly be happy to see certain
      Greek terms simply left untranslated, just as we intersperse posts
      here with words like pneuma and psyche. It's not likely though that
      we'll find a biblical publishing house that would be interested in
      seeing their interpretation of "God's Word" perverted into something
      like a Gnostic Study Edition.

      It would definitely be a monumental task for someone or some
      organization. The canonical portion alone would be huge (just as any
      decent sized Bible), what with the additional commentary explaining
      Gnostic exegesis, but if we included all the relevant extra-canonical
      material as well, the volume would be truly massive.

      Small steps, maybe. It could be more valuable to simply present the
      commonly held books of the Bible in a new light, leaving the other
      material in separate works (as now) to those who already have an
      interest in pursuing Gnostic studies.

      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 28, 2005
        Hello pmcvflag

        On 07/25/05, you wrote:

        > Gerry is overly humble. Let me state for the record that I have
        > taken his observations over people who actually technically
        > ARE "linguists" by trade.
        >
        > PMCV
        >
        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...> wrote:
        >>
        >> --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "marinas_snake"
        >> <marinas_snake@y...> wrote:
        >>>

        >>> Gerry, are you a linguist?
        >>>
        >>> Marina
        >>>

        >> A Linguist? No, Marina. I was raised a Methodist.
        >>
        >> Well, I was going to extend my facetious abuse of that term to a
        >> long
        >> spiel on glossolalia, but even as waggish as I feel at the moment,
        >> it
        >> is actually my fatigue that is winning out. Let me just admit
        >> that I
        >> do have a peculiar interest (i.e., geeky fascination) when it
        >> comes
        >> to languages. Nothing of a professional nature though.
        >>
        >> Gerry

        At least we can't accuse him of ego inflation. :-)

        Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s