Re: Error

    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 5, 2005
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hello, Gerry. Unintentional blackberrries: the thorn in my side,
      > and proof that earth could easily be overtaken by aliens.

      LOL Yoy may want to consider what I did one season . . . when I had
      let the gardening get the better of me. I just let the brambles go.
      By that point, I was half embarrassed that I hadn't previously
      recognized that many of those vines I had been pulling up were likely
      from some member of the berry family, and I was really curious what
      the fruit would be like. I simply "gave in" to the weedy experience,
      not finding it worthwhile to fight a losing battle at the time. The
      following season, I was rewarded with batch after batch of tasty
      blackberries. True, my arms and legs bore the marks of continually
      harvesting such a thorny crop, but the sweetness and flavor of these
      wild varieties are somewhat bred out of the more easily harvested,
      domestic cultivars. I still have bags of 'em tucked away in the
      freezer. At any rate, I enjoyed the blackberry invasion much more
      than the crickets that overran us last summer.

      > I was really hoping to find a Bible, in translation,
      > > that would preserve such subtle differences, but it looks like
      the
      > > only way to get close enough to the original is to stick with the
      > > original languages.
      >
      > I can't remember if I ever chimed in when you were looking for a
      > more Gnostic Bible. I think that I assumed you had already looked
      > at an Amplified Bible. I haven't seen one since the '80's, so I'm
      > not sure they are still called by that name (I don't know if that's
      > a title or a category.) I remember that it was clunky reading
      > because if the original language had several usages for one word,
      > all of them would be listed in brackets within the verse. A friend
      > of mine found "imagination" in the list for "angel", for instance.
      > I would actually like to have one, but I can't ever find one to
      flip
      > through in a store to see if it's really what I remember.
      >
      > jana

      I've never looked at a printed copy of an Amplified Bible, but when I
      conducted my brief on-line investigation, I do recall that that was
      one of the versions I looked into. I don't remember any bracketed
      material offhand, but then, I was only comparing one short passage
      among every version I could find, so that particular text might not
      have been exemplary of the overall look of that translation.
      However, I DO recall thinking that the English rendering of that
      scriptural selection was excessively wordy (even for someone like
      ME!), so I wasn't really impressed. It seemed that "amplified" was a
      fitting name for it, but I also got the impression that the proper
      understanding of the text was probably lost somewhere in the
      verbiage. Again, though, that was just a cursory assessment.

      It will probably be worth my while to go back to that version and
      compare numerous passages against the Greek, just to see if I can get
      a feel for how well the original holds up, and perhaps how easily one
      might simply skim past any superfluous, bracketed information. Of
      course, that will have to wait until I get some time off again;
      Yesterday was the first day in a month that I was off from both jobs,
      which was a welcome rest, until the fireworks down on the waterfront
      last night woke me up. Anyhow, the problem with my quest is that I'm
      looking for a translation that has a natural flow to it, and yet
      preserves certain keywords that would have had relevance to those
      looking to interpret biblical scriptures in pneumatic fashion. This
      may well be an impossible expectation until such time as some writer
      out there decides to compile an "actual" Gnostic Bible, and I don't
      see that happening anytime soon.

      If you're still interested in flipping through that version without
      finding a copy in the bookstore, you can access the Amplified Bible
      among the English selections at this site:

      http://bible.gospelcom.net/versions/

      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 28, 2005
        Hello pmcvflag

        On 07/25/05, you wrote:

        > Gerry is overly humble. Let me state for the record that I have
        > taken his observations over people who actually technically
        > ARE "linguists" by trade.
        >
        > PMCV
        >
        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...> wrote:
        >>
        >> --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "marinas_snake"
        >> <marinas_snake@y...> wrote:
        >>>

        >>> Gerry, are you a linguist?
        >>>
        >>> Marina
        >>>

        >> A Linguist? No, Marina. I was raised a Methodist.
        >>
        >> Well, I was going to extend my facetious abuse of that term to a
        >> long
        >> spiel on glossolalia, but even as waggish as I feel at the moment,
        >> it
        >> is actually my fatigue that is winning out. Let me just admit
        >> that I
        >> do have a peculiar interest (i.e., geeky fascination) when it
        >> comes
        >> to languages. Nothing of a professional nature though.
        >>
        >> Gerry

        At least we can't accuse him of ego inflation. :-)

        Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s