Re: Platonism and Gnosticism.

    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 11, 2005
      Hello marinas_snake

      On 06/11/05, you wrote:

      > "Demiurge: According to the Gnostics (as opposed to Plato and others
      > who had a more positive assessment), an inferior deity who
      > ignorantly and incompetently fashioned the debased physical world"

      Let's look at the obvious, derrevation can be negative or positive, in
      this case, the demiurge turns negative, but the idea was still
      derived from the Platonists. Gnosis has a smaller role in Platonism,
      but again Gnosis as salvation was derrived from it. Augustine
      derrived original sin (I would bet) from Manachean ideas of good and
      evil, but wound up looking quite different. Derrivation does not
      mean carrying through ideas in the same way.

      Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
    • marinas_snake
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 11, 2005
        > Hello marinas_snake
        >
        > On 06/11/05, you wrote:
        >
        > > "Demiurge: According to the Gnostics (as opposed to Plato and others
        > > who had a more positive assessment), an inferior deity who
        > > ignorantly and incompetently fashioned the debased physical world"
        >
        > Let's look at the obvious, derrevation can be negative or positive, in
        > this case, the demiurge turns negative, but the idea was still
        > derived from the Platonists. Gnosis has a smaller role in Platonism,
        > but again Gnosis as salvation was derrived from it. Augustine
        > derrived original sin (I would bet) from Manachean ideas of good and
        > evil, but wound up looking quite different. Derrivation does not
        > mean carrying through ideas in the same way.
        >
        > Regards
        > --
        > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

        Thank you. Makes me wonder though.