Re: Platonism and Gnosticism.

  • marinas_snake
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 11, 2005
      > Hey Gich
      >
      > >>"I agree with this... salvation comes via gnosis. Does this concept
      > have any role in Platonism?"<<
      >
      > Yes, it does. Different amounts in different forms of Platonism. For
      > instance, some of the neo-Pythagorian Platonists present something
      > that is sometimes hard to tell from Gnosticism. Plato's own
      > development of the motif is a bit less involved, as is his cosmology.
      > However, the essential outline we find in Gnosticism is there from
      the
      > beginning, and carries through into various forms of Platonism.
      >
      > Since I am assuming this was the beginning of the Plato subject, I
      > will wait for your arguement as to why Gnosticism is not related to
      > Platonism before I comment further on the specifics.
      >
      > PMCV

      Gee, the pseudonym "Gich" is no longer listed in the membership.

      I don't think I know enough about Platonism to argue for or against its
      relation to Gnosticism. However, from looking into the history of
      Gnosticism etc, there are those who do believe that there is not
      relation. Apparently this may have something to do with
      the "attitudes" of these groups towards the creation and its creator.

      The quote below is from the website "Gnosticism and the Gnostic Jesus"
      glossary of terms.

      http://www.mustardseed.net/html/body_tognosticism.html

      "Demiurge: According to the Gnostics (as opposed to Plato and others
      who had a more positive assessment), an inferior deity who ignorantly
      and incompetently fashioned the debased physical world"

      So, please continue further on with the specifics. I'll try to keep up.

      Marina
    • marinas_snake
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 11, 2005
        > Hello marinas_snake
        >
        > On 06/11/05, you wrote:
        >
        > > "Demiurge: According to the Gnostics (as opposed to Plato and others
        > > who had a more positive assessment), an inferior deity who
        > > ignorantly and incompetently fashioned the debased physical world"
        >
        > Let's look at the obvious, derrevation can be negative or positive, in
        > this case, the demiurge turns negative, but the idea was still
        > derived from the Platonists. Gnosis has a smaller role in Platonism,
        > but again Gnosis as salvation was derrived from it. Augustine
        > derrived original sin (I would bet) from Manachean ideas of good and
        > evil, but wound up looking quite different. Derrivation does not
        > mean carrying through ideas in the same way.
        >
        > Regards
        > --
        > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

        Thank you. Makes me wonder though.