Re: "God's prerogative..."

    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 5, 2005
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly Graham" <caellach@h...>
      wrote:

      > Think of it this way, if you can..
      >
      > God has offered us a gift.. non gratis.. for coming to
      > bear the burdens of out wrongs for the past generations. . . .
      > [*more psychic perspective* . . . yada, yada, yada . . .
      > *more proselytizing* . . . blah, blah, blah. . . .]
      >
      > Kelly Paul Graham

      My goodness, but few things vex me more than witnessing a person's
      inept usage of their non-native tongue. By "non gratis," I'm not
      sure if you mean that we should find God's gift of salvation (in
      mainstream terms) unwelcome and unacceptable [non grata], or that
      what merely appears to be freely given actually comes at a price [non
      gratis——i.e., "not free"]?

      Frankly, while I doubt that you actually intended to suggest either
      one of those meanings, I would have to agree on both counts: I
      imagine that many people who relate to Gnostic thought would find
      such a perspective as what you described too limiting for them, and
      ultimately unsatisfying; if keeping ourselves in a psychic mindset
      while we toe the pistic line were the cost we had to pay for
      such "salvation," then yes, I would find the price too dear, and the
      transaction no bargain at all.

      If that sounds utterly blasphemous to you, Kelly, then you may come
      to realize that you are in the wrong place. Based on the content of
      your sermon, I cannot discern any indication that you have even the
      most minute interest in discussing Gnosticism in its traditional
      context, and given that this is the express purpose of our forum, be
      advised that this kind of preaching has no place here.

      Gerry
    • marinas_snake
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 11, 2005
        > Hello marinas_snake
        >
        > On 06/11/05, you wrote:
        >
        > > "Demiurge: According to the Gnostics (as opposed to Plato and others
        > > who had a more positive assessment), an inferior deity who
        > > ignorantly and incompetently fashioned the debased physical world"
        >
        > Let's look at the obvious, derrevation can be negative or positive, in
        > this case, the demiurge turns negative, but the idea was still
        > derived from the Platonists. Gnosis has a smaller role in Platonism,
        > but again Gnosis as salvation was derrived from it. Augustine
        > derrived original sin (I would bet) from Manachean ideas of good and
        > evil, but wound up looking quite different. Derrivation does not
        > mean carrying through ideas in the same way.
        >
        > Regards
        > --
        > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

        Thank you. Makes me wonder though.